Notices

5th gear boost

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th gear boost

i have a gsr motor and im looking to purchase a turbo kit , sorry if this is noobish but is it true that you cannot boost my b series in fifth gear i dont know its what i heard... also is it possible for me to build a big boost turbo kit for this motor and run the boost low untill i can save again for a bottom end build and then push the turbo to its limits?
Old 10-31-2004, 09:27 PM

whoever told you that you can't boost it in 5 gear is an absolute moron

and yes you can build a big boost turbo kit and run the boost low until you build the motor--you just won't see optimal performance until you build the motor
i wish i had just gone with the big turbo set-up to begin with instead of moving up in steps as the motor could handle it--much easier and cheaper just to get the turbo set up you want to end up with

in fact, i have a slightly used T3/T4 turbo that is good for above 500whp but still has good spooling characteristics that i will sell for $600

as for kits--I recommend Full-race
Old 10-31-2004, 09:33 PM

Default Re: 5th gear boost (cxVtecC1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pimpintyperintegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whoever told you that you can't boost it in 5 gear is an absolute moron

and yes you can build a big boost turbo kit and run the boost low until you build the motor--you just won't see optimal performance until you build the motor
i wish i had just gone with the big turbo set-up to begin with instead of moving up in steps as the motor could handle it--much easier and cheaper just to get the turbo set up you want to end up with</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, whoever told him that Boosting in 5th gear was bad isn't a moron. Sure you can do it, but it really isn't good for the motor. If you want the car to last keep the boost out of 5th as much as possible. Doesn't hurt to get into the beginning of it, but to be all the way in it isn't good.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5th gear boost (Bulldogg83)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bulldogg83 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Actually, whoever told him that Boosting in 5th gear was bad isn't a moron. Sure you can do it, but it really isn't good for the motor. If you want the car to last keep the boost out of 5th as much as possible. Doesn't hurt to get into the beginning of it, but to be all the way in it isn't good. </TD></TR></TABLE>

blah

my integra saw 150 mph probably 50 times. it would have probably hit atleast another 50 times if it didnt get stolen.

i topped my integra out on a weekly basis. long 5th gear at 7100 rpms = 155 mph or so.

and theres been times where ive sat at 150 mph for minutes at a time, ie. running w/ the gumballers.

it pays to have a good tune
Old 10-31-2004, 09:40 PM

so are you saying that boosting in 5th gear is worse for your engine then a 8k launch on slicks?

the only thing i could see is problems with the high revs for a long time... i'm sure there is stress because of the longer gear.... but nothing compaired to the 8k slick launch..
Old 10-31-2004, 09:43 PM

Default Re: (MusclecarGuyhasHonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MusclecarGuyhasHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so are you saying that boosting in 5th gear is worse for your engine then a 8k launch on slicks?</TD></TR></TABLE>[

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

blah

my integra saw 150 mph probably 50 times. it would have probably hit atleast another 50 times if it didnt get stolen.

i topped my integra out on a weekly basis. long 5th gear at 7100 rpms = 155 mph or so.

and theres been times where ive sat at 150 mph for minutes at a time, ie. running w/ the gumballers.

it pays to have a good tune </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've just seen a good amount of cars that have thrown rods due to boosting in 5th gear or they've overheated causing damage to their blocks. That's all I was implying...
Old 10-31-2004, 09:43 PM

Default Re: (pimpintyperintegra)

thanks sorry about the noob question just tryin to figure out fact from fiction , and i've bee looking at full-race kit but what im curious about is what kit will build big boost quickly? i understand that bigger turbo more lag but does the t3 /t4 hybrid help with this setup or is there a bigger trbo that will build boost quickly im lookin in the mid 500 whp range with a built bottom end of course , but is @ 300 realistic with just the kit installed with mild tuning, my b18c1 has usdm itr pistons and im pulling the head to upgrade my valvetrain but i am probably going to reuse my gsr cams or go with itr/ctr setup, or will these have to much overlap?also im looking into there 650hp kit if that helps thank you
Old 10-31-2004, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cxVtecC1)

sure, its probably not wonderful for the engine, but put it this way, we probably had 25+ pulls on sound effects car that put down 641whp, and we had no choice but to do 5th gear pulls on the dyno.

i personally have never seen failure from a car boosting in 5th, and i would have expected to see my motor blow.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:50 PM

Default Re: (Mase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sure, its probably not wonderful for the engine, but put it this way, we probably had 25+ pulls on sound effects car that put down 641whp, and we had no choice but to do 5th gear pulls on the dyno.

i personally have never seen failure from a car boosting in 5th, and i would have expected to see my motor blow. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Duelly noted.....but shouldn't you be in Mexico right now?
Old 10-31-2004, 09:52 PM

thrown rod is usually improper install or revs... its unlikely that engine load had anything to do with it.. unless your on an end of the spectrum (non built motor, or crazy built pushing the envelope)

so the cars were overheating with 140mph of air running through the rad??
Old 10-31-2004, 09:55 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MusclecarGuyhasHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thrown rod as usually improper install or revs... its unlikely that engine load had anything to do with it.. unless your on an end of the spectrum (non built motor, or crazy built pushing the envelope)

so the cars were overheating with 140mph of air running through the rad??</TD></TR></TABLE>

These cars were stock blocks making around a mere 250-300+ whp with stock radiators/fans....there were probably other contributing factors that lead up to it, and they just happened to go in 5th. Never got too in detail as too everything that was wrong with it. Just told that they were racing in 5th and BOOM! Towing it home.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:55 PM

bulldog: i don't mean to call you out or anything man.. i just don't think 5th gear had anything to do with those falure's
Old 10-31-2004, 09:57 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MusclecarGuyhasHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bulldog: i don't mean to call you out or anything man.. i just don't think 5th gear had anything to do with those falure's</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey it's cool man. Just stating what I have scene.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:06 PM

oh, to answer your question cxVtec.. 300hp should be easy to reach on a stock gsr with a good tune.. there are plenty of gsr's in the 500whp area that have stock cams.. so unless you can get a good deal on thos cams i'd use the cash elsewhere..

but it is your money after all..
Old 10-31-2004, 10:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MusclecarGuyhasHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh, to answer your question cxVtec.. 300hp should be easy to reach on a stock gsr with a good tune.. there are plenty of gsr's in the 500whp area that have stock cams.. so unless you can get a good deal on thos cams i'd use the cash elsewhere..

but it is your money after all.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah sorry to ***** you're thread.

I made 400+whp with a built b16 and stock GSR cams. I would use the money elsewhere right now. Plus there are plenty of B Series motor running around that are stock making 300+whp. Good luck
Old 10-31-2004, 10:13 PM

all appreciated info
Old 10-31-2004, 10:15 PM

i never said you couldn't blow your motor in 5th gear or anything implying that

i simply said that saying you cannot boost a b-motor or any other motor in a certain gear is simply not true
Old 10-31-2004, 10:19 PM

Default Re: (Bulldogg83)

i just reposted this but im new to the computer so bear with me...do these type setups see power up to or @ 9300+rpm or does this exceed a chemical limit, im talking with pnp and valvetrain components excluding the cams( still on the gsr cams)
Old 10-31-2004, 10:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxVtecC1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just reposted this but im new to the computer so bear with me...do these type setups see power up to or @ 9300+rpm or does this exceed a chemical limit, im talking with pnp and valvetrain components excluding the cams( still on the gsr cams)</TD></TR></TABLE>

I rev mine to 9100 with stock size REV springs/retainers, Ferrea valves, and GSR cams & no pnp job. Planning on taking it to 9500 if there is a need to considering the power band when we retune it.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:36 PM

what is your cr if you dont mind? and also do you think with a pnp and more boost would raise where the engine made power to? and is " REV" a company... that works well with a boosted application ? do block gaurds/girdles do anything? where you using a high compression valve or is that stupid for this setup because i am planning on a bottom end i just want my top end to be all set for when i finish the b18b. i realize it will need to be retuned but time and money are 2 different things.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxVtecC1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what is your cr if you dont mind? and also do you think with a pnp and more boost would raise where the engine made power to? and is " REV" a company... that works well with a boosted application ? do block gaurds/girdles do anything? where you using a high compression valve or is that stupid for this setup because i am planning on a bottom end i just want my top end to be all set for when i finish the b18b. i realize it will need to be retuned but time and money are 2 different things. </TD></TR></TABLE>

1. My compression ratio is around 9.4:1-9.8:1. There are 84mm B20 10.5:1 pistons in my block, but due to stroke of motor and the head being different there are some considerations that you have to take into affect to get the actual compression ratio.
2. Port and Polish will help the top end, but we mostly stopped because I wanted to see how the car would hold up with taking it to 9100rpm before just jumping into 9500rpm. Make sure that the product would hold up.
3. There are mixed emotions on block guards/girdles. I really don't back them, but if you are serious about doing a build, just save to get the motor sleeved.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:56 PM

true as i expected with the block gaurds.... my comp ratio right now is in the 10.8.1 range with full- race kit will the precision 1000cc be right for my setup or to much? im definetly going all forged bottom end when the build is complete but will these pistons be ok with the turbo not cranked for at least a little while or is this setup going to dump unnecisary feul?thanks
Old 10-31-2004, 10:58 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxVtecC1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">true as i expected with the block gaurds.... my comp ratio right now is in the 10.8.1 range with full- race kit will the precision 1000cc be right for my setup or to much? im definetly going all forged bottom end when the build is complete but will these pistons be ok with the turbo not cranked for at least a little while or is this setup going to dump unnecisary feul?thanks </TD></TR></TABLE>

All that will be determined by the tune. Where do you live?
Old 10-31-2004, 11:01 PM

if you want some 1000cc injectors, I have a set of RC's that I'll sell for $400--good price for RC (not you, bulldogg, I know you already got some)
Old 10-31-2004, 11:02 PM

i live in mass not much around here i think

Quick Reply: 5th gear boost