Notices

400whp

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400whp

ok heres the deal i have 11-1 comp. ya i know its high for turbo.

1. the block has golden eagle sleeves, arias pistons, eagle rods, eagle crank, bored and stroked to a 2.1. and its a b20 block
2. the head is a b16 head witch is fully ported and polished and port matched to a jg intake manifold and erics racing throttle bodie. and civic type r cams
3. it has a b16 tranny w/ a type r lsd.

well orgianly this motor was a all motor car but i have now gotten the forced induction bug.

i have desided to go ahead and get a equal length header with a sc-61 turbo and spearco intercooler, as well as went and got the boost option for the hondata system i put it all togeather and had it tuned they got 310 hp and 260 lbs out of it and i will be posting the dyno shortly. let me tell you driving this car is sick not to mention its only pushing around 7psi it boost so fast its crazy i justed wanted to hear about any other guys out there running high compretion turbo motors.

And for the wrecord yes it has a full fuel system and alot of other stuff dont to it as well in order to suport that power but i dont feel like typing it all out.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:54 PM

Default Re: 400whp (tuning101)

i also wanted to add this is all going thrue a 2 1/4 inch ex.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tuning101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i also wanted to add this is all going thrue a 2 1/4 inch ex.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you should add a 3" exhaust.... 2.25 is restricting the hell out of it... you will make more horse power with a 3" down pipe and 3" exhaust.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:38 PM

Default Re: 400whp (BoostedEG6)

is it safe to run that high of comp and turbo? I know it can be done but for how long is my question?
Old 12-21-2004, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 400whp (ELAMINT5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ELAMINT5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it safe to run that high of comp and turbo? I know it can be done but for how long is my question? </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's all in the tune. I persoanlly will never build a "low compression" motor. The higher compression motors are harder to tune but, much more rewarding in my eyes(low boost and alot of power w/ excellent drivability). Anyone else agree?

Phil
Old 12-21-2004, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 400whp (hondaguyef)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaguyef &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's all in the tune. I persoanlly will never build a "low compression" motor. The higher compression motors are harder to tune but, much more rewarding in my eyes(low boost and alot of power w/ excellent drivability). Anyone else agree?

Phil </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with you on that... I built a GSR bottom end with about 10.2:1 compression after head gasket and everything (thats a guesstimation) but I dont want to run a ton of boost..... but I am hoping to make about 450 or so around 15-18psi but we will see in teh weeks to come.... plus with a little higher compression it spools it alittle faster.. not by much but yeah... tunning is key on anything.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:19 PM

Default Re: 400whp (BoostedEG6)

Oh no here we go on the high comp vs. low comp fight. It spools faster vs. it's easier to tune. More response vs. not having to run race gas.

It's all in what you want to do. The lag difference is so minimal it's not even funny that people say it. It feels more responsive becuase of the better off boost acceleration. You can go either way on this, but personally I'd like to have low compression and more boost because I will have less chance of blowing a motor becuase of a bad tank of gas, colder weather, slightly off tunning, boost spike, and other stuff. To me it's more important to have a safety margin.

Back to topic:
Yeah get yourself a bigger exhaust! Better spool up and free up some HP
Old 12-22-2004, 09:54 AM

well i still haven’t had a chance to put the #s up but as soon as i can i will. Yes high compression and boost don’t mix to well but i absolutely love it. I mean from my two dynos i didn’t loose any horses power at really low rpms 1000-2500 so driving around town is fine but by 3500 you had better clinch your *** because it gets rude, and at 7000 its still pulling all the way to around 7900 and thin it starts to fall off a bit. Damn i love it but the only problem is like what was posted i have to watch out for bad gas but a lot of extra safety precautions where taking into consideration before i took it out on the street. One of witch is i tuned it a little on the rich side because down here in Texas the weather changes on a hourly basses. and the other problem is i cant just turn up the boost like a lot of people can for the simple reason that i have no room for error but we did put a tank of 108 octane in it and sprayed a 100 shot on there manly because everybody said it couldn’t be done but it was basically point less since all i had where my ridiculously bald nittos on it lol. But ya all in all she has turned out great but i was really wanting to see if there’s anybody elce that posts on here that runs high compression like 10.8 and up so i could see what there #s look like and im not trying to start a war between high comp. and low comp. Just trying to let everybody know what its like. One more thing for the record i raced a guys car that was at the shop he had a fully built low compression motor running some where in the neighbor hood of 18 pounds and i still got him by a hood length and off the line i destroyed him but he caught me at the top of 4rth when i ran out of steam lol also for the record his car put down 331 hp and like 253lbs of torque.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:56 AM

also about the 2 1/2 ex. yes thats right 2 1/2 i mis typed that earlier.i know this is still a pretty big draw backbut w/ cristmas i cant afford to really spend anymore money on me or my car at this moment but if anybody would like to be a cheerfull giver and had me one i would be more that pleased lol.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaguyef &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Phil </TD></TR></TABLE>

i agreed with you until i ran my 2nd built motor with 9:1. made awesome power and much more room for improvement on pump gas.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:03 AM

Phil </TD></TR></TABLE>

I disagree entirely because id much rather run these ridiculously large t3/t4s everyone has to have in their 250whp street car, with a lower CR, up the boost, get the compressor in a more efficent place. Running 10psi on a t3/t4 remains to be stupid. The only car that responds well to this turbo is a b18c1/c5. B16's can get away still with a T3 of some sort. B18b1's it should be a sin to use a t3/t4 on anything going for less than 275-300whp(dont forget if its making that power, the torque will only be about 15-20 less if you select a turbo that hits an efficent amount of boost by 3500rpm(not this garbage "I hit 10psi at 4000 but its not efficent till 5500 and i totally mis out on all the delcious torque of the b18b1)))

End rant.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:17 AM

Phil </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with you completly.. There is a limit I would go on the compression for a turbo motor but its around 10:1-10.2:1.. Either way I would never build a low-compression motor for anything..
Old 12-22-2004, 02:30 PM

Default Re: 400whp (tgreaves)

thats great guys but guess what i dont want to here all of yall freaking coments all i wanted was to see some other guys # but n/m please lock thread.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tuning101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats great guys but guess what i dont want to here all of yall freaking coments all i wanted was to see some other guys # but n/m please lock thread.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Chill. Sorry for the thread bust. Here you go, http://www.jgenginedynamics.com/dynotests6

This is from a few years back though.

Phil
Old 12-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im trying to build a turbo ls-vetc with 11 to 1 compression but I ran out of money. This is a very good thread, it just need more people with opinions. I used to say higher compression was bettter as soon as I started to learning about it, but dsm peopel are so slow to learn anything. Now since everyone dropped the afc hack your seeing alot more 9 to1 setups and the highest ive seen is 10 to 1 in dsms. Keep up the good work guys.310 fwhp on 7 pounds id ******* awsome. What are your motor and turbo specs it you dont mind.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:39 PM

Default Re: (rhamlinii)

On DSM's running any higher than 9:1 is just lunacy.

They can harness the power in the AWD cars, so why the hell not have as much as you can possibly make on pump gas on the street? I'd rather run 25 pounds of boost on an 8.5:1 motor than 15-16 pounds of boost on a 10:1 motor ANY day of the week, thank you kindly. In a FWD where more than 400 WHP just turns into tire smoke, sure, maybe a high comp setup would be OK, but where you can actually put more power to use with AWD I'm all for low compression. The guy on DSMtuners with a 10:1 motor is running a 2.3L stroker and a T66 P-trim, and his numbers arn't that far off from some of the 8.5:1 guys running T66's.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:28 PM

Default Re: (@lbert)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by @lbert &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On DSM's running any higher than 9:1 is just lunacy.

They can harness the power in the AWD cars, so why the hell not have as much as you can possibly make on pump gas on the street? I'd rather run 25 pounds of boost on an 8.5:1 motor than 15-16 pounds of boost on a 10:1 motor ANY day of the week, thank you kindly. In a FWD where more than 400 WHP just turns into tire smoke, sure, maybe a high comp setup would be OK, but where you can actually put more power to use with AWD I'm all for low compression. The guy on DSMtuners with a 10:1 motor is running a 2.3L stroker and a T66 P-trim, and his numbers arn't that far off from some of the 8.5:1 guys running T66's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree with you as far as dsm s go but i drive a civic and i have no torque lol to used the higher compretion to make up for it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rhamlinii &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im trying to build a turbo ls-vetc with 11 to 1 compression but I ran out of money. This is a very good thread, it just need more people with opinions. I used to say higher compression was bettter as soon as I started to learning about it, but dsm peopel are so slow to learn anything. Now since everyone dropped the afc hack your seeing alot more 9 to1 setups and the highest ive seen is 10 to 1 in dsms. Keep up the good work guys.310 fwhp on 7 pounds id ******* awsome. What are your motor and turbo specs it you dont mind.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well honestly i wouldnt do it agian not 11 to 1 unless you have some serious doe just to let you knwo it took 3 days to tune my car on high boost lol yea and this was by a competant tuner. it was very very expensive but i got what i wanted witch was allmotor torque with a turbo power band lol i like to have my cake and eat it too.

Chill. Sorry for the thread bust. Here you go, http://www.jgenginedynamics.com/dynotests6

This is from a few years back though.

Phil</TD></TR></TABLE>

im sorry for sounding rude but i dont want this to be another high comp. vs low comp. threds theres enough of those we all know the trade offs of each and we all have our own opinion on each set up. i was simply letting pepale know what to expect on a high comp. motor and curious to see if there where any other crazy guys out there.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (@lbert)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by @lbert &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On DSM's running any higher than 9:1 is just lunacy.

They can harness the power in the AWD cars, so why the hell not have as much as you can possibly make on pump gas on the street? I'd rather run 25 pounds of boost on an 8.5:1 motor than 15-16 pounds of boost on a 10:1 motor ANY day of the week, thank you kindly. In a FWD where more than 400 WHP just turns into tire smoke, sure, maybe a high comp setup would be OK, but where you can actually put more power to use with AWD I'm all for low compression. The guy on DSMtuners with a 10:1 motor is running a 2.3L stroker and a T66 P-trim, and his numbers arn't that far off from some of the 8.5:1 guys running T66's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I agree with you seeing as how I run my car with stock compression and a Mitsu Metal headgasket. My compression it about 7.5 to 1 right now. I actually adjust my cam angle sensor to full advance on race gas just to add more power because I have such low compression. Alot of dsms guys think like you do, but on race gas you'll be surprized at what a high compression motor can do. With enough octane I think you can get a setup to run very well with high compression and boost. The same guy your talking about is the same one that I was talking about with 10 to 1 compression. His car on race gas would hand down kill a dsm with a 8.5 to 1 compression. He still finds a way to make 400awhp on pump with very little boost. I think that a motor with 15 pounds of boost is going to run longer, then one running 25 pounds of boost. If I was building a street car then I would build one the same way I built mine with low compression but I was talking about race motors. The class I would want to be in is Power 4 and in that class AWD cars can only use one power adder. They aren't allowed to run slicks either or dot slicks just drag radials. In my state Jason Hunt with his civic and CRX win every year. Hes run 9.50s thus far (in a pretty stock looking civic). I always thought that the high compression dsm setup would take him down with ease but I cant afford to try it with my dsm. That's also the reason I have my signature the way it is aswell.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tuning101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
well honestly i wouldnt do it agian not 11 to 1 unless you have some serious doe just to let you knwo it took 3 days to tune my car on high boost lol yea and this was by a competant tuner. it was very very expensive but i got what i wanted witch was allmotor torque with a turbo power band lol i like to have my cake and eat it too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I see what your saying, but you have to pay to play. You may also be right, so I might end up going with 10.5 to one, on 8 pounds. Theres also ways if you get the right cams with duration, your motor will run better with high compression because it lowers your static compression. I just get really excited when I see over 300 fwhp on 7 pounds on pump. You have one of the better setups from what I see.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:53 AM

Default Re: (rhamlinii)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rhamlinii &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Yeah, I see what your saying, but you have to pay to play. You may also be right, so I might end up going with 10.5 to one, on 8 pounds. Theres also ways if you get the right cams with duration, your motor will run better with high compression because it lowers your static compression. I just get really excited when I see over 300 fwhp on 7 pounds on pump. You have one of the better setups from what I see. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well you are exactally right you have to pay to play. This is a extreammly expensive sport. and you have to remeber your not going to be the fastest guy on the street so build the car to your likings. dont aim for 500 hp unless your going full track car my car makes 503 on high boost now and is absolutly un driveable on the street so rebeer that when building it. Another thing i wanted to say was i didnt build this car for the track this car was built w/ the street in mind and i do have to say all in all it is the ultiment street honda in my opinin.

one more thing about the 10.5 to one my buddy went that rout a little fyi on 10 pounds w/ regualer gas he laid down 330 horsepower i cant reaber the torque tho the motor was a built ls v tec motor a built b16 head in it and port matched to a jb intake manifold and stock b16 sticks where in there o type r thorttle bodie. its pretty damn fast but he has a ls tranny that just suxs *** i dont care what any body say unless your pushing some huge # down and at like 11000 i woujld never use a ls tranny to me a gsr is perfect but i cant let go of my b16.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:58 AM

Default Re: (tuning101)

?

Old 12-23-2004, 09:04 AM

Default Re: (ELAMINT5)

?
Old 12-24-2004, 07:16 AM

bump
Old 12-24-2004, 07:45 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tuning101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok heres the deal i have 11-1 comp. ya i know its high for turbo.

1. the block has golden eagle sleeves, arias pistons, eagle rods, eagle crank, bored and stroked to a 2.1. and its a b20 block
2. the head is a b16 head witch is fully ported and polished and port matched to a jg intake manifold and erics racing throttle bodie. and civic type r cams
3. it has a b16 tranny w/ a type r lsd.

well orgianly this motor was a all motor car but i have now gotten the forced induction bug.

i have desided to go ahead and get a equal length header with a sc-61 turbo and spearco intercooler, as well as went and got the boost option for the hondata system i put it all togeather and had it tuned they got 310 hp and 260 lbs out of it and i will be posting the dyno shortly. let me tell you driving this car is sick not to mention its only pushing around 7psi it boost so fast its crazy i justed wanted to hear about any other guys out there running high compretion turbo motors.

And for the wrecord yes it has a full fuel system and alot of other stuff dont to it as well in order to suport that power but i dont feel like typing it all out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had a turbo on my high compression (10:6) motor and I ended up blowin my **** up, now I use low compression pistons (9:1) I in my opinion it's better to use low compression pistons, it's just safer.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:20 PM

Default Re: 400whp (Mr. Miyagi)

ya i do agree but hey its all good how much boost are you pushing now and how much were you pushing then as well as hp and tq # im just curious thats all. ya
Old 12-24-2004, 10:11 PM

TonyTheTiger

Look his video and setup up. He is also running a 11.5:1 comp setup on a tiny disco potato turbo, his powerband is ******* awesome, like 2500-7500 all it did was ******* pull like a train

Hes local to me as well, havent seen his car yet though, ******* arib

Quick Reply: 400whp