Notices

300whp from stock LS

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300whp from stock LS

I have heard a lot of people saying 300hp at the wheels is easy to get from a stock LS. If so, what all do I need? BTW, I am already turbo.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:53 AM
Banned

Default Re: 300whp from stock LS (elements1.8t)

cruicial fuel management.....also inlinepro makes a headgasket for ls's now....lowers the compression down like 3 points
Old 02-08-2002, 07:53 AM

300 whp? hmmm...... interesting only thing I can think of is to build up the internals and Crank up the BOOST!!! lol Just my thought
Old 02-08-2002, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

12~14 PSI and tuning. That about it. It all goes out the window though if you detonate. Free flowing exhaust and dyno time woudn't hurt. For best results use a standalone for god sakes!
Old 02-08-2002, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am making 300whp on my stock block LS right now. Here is my set-up:

MaxRev manifold, Garret T3/T4OE 57 Trim, .63 a/r, stage 3 blade, 3'' open dp, manual boost controller, spearco intercooler from RevHard kit, 440cc RC injectors, Walboro fuel pump, EFI PMS with InterAQ tuning software, turbo port on exhaust side, port match intake manifold, adj cam gears, spearco water injection running 50/50 water/alcohol.

I am running 12lbs now daily driven with no signs of detonation. The car was tuned a few weeks ago on a dyno...took about 2 hours to get 300whp. That is not counting the datalogging that i did with my software getting the car a rough base map...took like a week everynight just running up and down the highway pulling 3rd gear runs. I attribute alot of my success of being able to run 12lbs on stock block to the water/alcohol injection kit. It cools the combustion chambers down a significant amount. I also use 94 octance at the pump...so that helps a little bit. I can tell you that 300whp daily driver is scary...the car has some major *****. I ran a C5 the other night on the highway from 50-100mph and tore him a new hold...bad. I would estimate from how hard the car pulls that with slicks i would be in low 12's, possibly high 11's if i can get any traction. I wont get a chance to hit the track till this spring. Remember tuning is the key...i put alot of time into making the base fuel/timing map and listen for any detonation. I had to back off a few times hearing pinging. I would just pull over, enrich the mixture, take out some timing then take another run till there wasnt any detonation.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 300whp from stock LS (boosted hybrid)

I had to back off a few times hearing pinging. I would just pull over, enrich the mixture, take out some timing then take another run till there wasnt any detonation.
lol that sound just like me
Old 02-08-2002, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Intresting boosted thats some serious HP for only 12 PSI. I've got routly the same setup as you minus the water/alochol injection and 3" exhaust. Although my setup is in a 600 lbs lighter car than yours . JFWY. I've been intrested in the water alcohol injection on and off. What setup are you running, how hard was it to install? What kind of power do you think it added to your setup? Sorry for all the questions, but 300 WHP is what i'm shooting for in my car. I'd perfer not to have to build it up to make that. I know It will be hella quick @ that power level.

On a side note: Would mind sharing your cam gear settings with me would ya? You can message me if you perfer that.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:38 AM

MaxRev manifold, Garret T3/T4OE 57 Trim, .63 a/r, stage 3 blade, 3'' open dp, manual boost controller, spearco intercooler from RevHard kit, 440cc RC injectors, Walboro fuel pump, EFI PMS with InterAQ tuning software, turbo port on exhaust side, port match intake manifold, adj cam gears, spearco water injection running 50/50 water/alcohol.
How hard was it to tune the PMS? How much did you get the InterACQ software for? $300 is pretty steep for me. I'm tempted to sell mine and go with the AEM EMS.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am using the spearco water injection kit. I found the best price on it from http://www.cnw.com/~redline/waterinjectionkit.htm. It is super easy to install...bascially drill one hole, install the nozzle into the intercooler piping, mount the water reservoir tank, pressure regulator and run some vaccum lines and you are done. I am not sure as to how much power the kit has added...i installed it with my turbo, but it has allowed me to run 12psi on pump gas without any detonation. I am going to run 15psi on race gas when i get to the track.

My cam gear settings are as follows: -2 intake, +2 exhaust. You retard the intake cam for dialing out the overlap, you advance the exhaust cam for better exhaust scavaging on the exhaust stroke...works really well on turbo.

With the software tuning the PMS was fairly easy. You have to have knowledge of what you are doing of course, but if you understand tuning then it is cake. Using the handheld controller plain sucks...i wouldnt recommend it at all. With the software there is changes for the fuel ratio every 500 rpm, instead of 2000rpm with the controller. I found that with the controller i couldnt get the timing and fuel down well enough...my car would always hesitate because of the interpolation that the unit was trying to do between the set rpm points. With the tuning software there is none of that happening at all...it really opened up more of a tuning window. The datalogging is also great with the software...it really came in handed when i was setting up my base fuel/timing map. Overall with the tuning software i think that the pms is on target with Hondata or AEM. I can make you a copy of the software if you would like. I am not sure if the software is encrypted or not...i will have to find out. Let me know if you are interested.

Old 02-08-2002, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm intresesting. I've heard that suggestion before. Did you have to correct your timing once you moved the intake setting? Did you dail those settings in on a dyno? Right now i'm running -2 EX and 0 In. It feels a bit stonger but, that seem to be the oppsite of your setting. You got any dyno sheets? I'm intersted in seeing how your curves look. See if mine if performing like it should. Sorry for all the question dude, but there isn't a dyno around these parts and i'm kinda having to rely on other people that have been for my tuning.....Kinds sux
Old 02-08-2002, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The shop that i dyno'd at has my sheets right now...i was going to pick them up in the next couple of days. I had the cam gears set already before i went to the dyno so i didnt adjust the timing, but yes if i did change the cam gears on the intake i would have to adjust the timing. That is what i was talking about when i was saying that each engine responds differently. Your cam gear settings are similar to my friends who has a turbo ls as well. I dont think that the cam gear settings helped much if at all...maybe like 5hp. The turbo port that i did by hand helped tremdously...felt like 20hp worth. I basically ported the hell out of the exhaust ports, not going any bigger than the stock manifold gasket. I kept to the factory port radius, but hogged it out as much as possible.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah. I was wondering about porting my head, exhaust maniold and turbo. I may do it then sonce you said it works well. i've got a skunk2 intake mani, might as well have a free flowing exhaust side too huh? I've have to have a full day of nothing to get it done. My freaking cleanance is so bad i'd ive have to take apart the whole front of my car to get at the turbo.....damn hybrid! What tool did you use to port, onlu thing i've got that would work is a Dremel tool.

I'm gonna try your settings when I get to the house this evening. I'm assuming you just adjust your distributor the opposite amount of degrees that you adjust your cam, right?
Old 02-08-2002, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I used a drill, with an extension off the side of it so i could get some torque on the drill. I also used cutting drill bits...they are not like regular drill bits. Then i went in with a dremel and kept going down in the cutting surface pads. I finished the ports by a hand sanding with 220 wt paper, then used chrome polish on the cloth dremel bit to make them shine (alright...a little overboard i know!). But i would suggest that you put stuffing up into the exhaust ports so you dont get any metal shavings into the combustion chambers. I had to pull apart the entire head b/c i was a dumbass and didnt, but then again the head was off the engine anyway. It took me like 4 hours to do everything. You really have to be careful to follow the factory exhaust ports...to much and you will lose to much velocity which will hurt your performance. Just remember to use the stock exhaust gasket as a template when you are porting...dont go any bigger than it or your porting will be wasted and cause you exhaust leak problems from the head.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 300whp from stock LS (On Point EK)

Damn, three points puts the LS compression down to 6.2. You sure that's correct, sounds awfully low.

Tom
Old 02-08-2002, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 300whp from stock LS (Tomakit)

I sure he meant 3 tenths of a point. I doubt the thing would run with 6.X compression. Head gasket are just aonther bandaid for poor tunning, just like, FMU's, check vavles, and fuel pumps.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:39 PM

With the software tuning the PMS was fairly easy. You have to have knowledge of what you are doing of course, but if you understand tuning then it is cake. Using the handheld controller plain sucks...i wouldnt recommend it at all. With the software there is changes for the fuel ratio every 500 rpm, instead of 2000rpm with the controller. I found that with the controller i couldnt get the timing and fuel down well enough...my car would always hesitate because of the interpolation that the unit was trying to do between the set rpm points. With the tuning software there is none of that happening at all...it really opened up more of a tuning window. The datalogging is also great with the software...it really came in handed when i was setting up my base fuel/timing map. Overall with the tuning software i think that the pms is on target with Hondata or AEM. I can make you a copy of the software if you would like. I am not sure if the software is encrypted or not...i will have to find out. Let me know if you are interested.
If you could get me a copy of that software I'd really appreciate it. I already got scammed out of $170 when I tried to buy the software from a guy on Parts Trader . I think that the software is encrypted but I have some friends that may be able to get around it . Let me know. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2002, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sure i will have my friend check it out. He is all into computer poo poo like that. I will let you know within the next couple of days. I actually saw that guy selling the software on thepartstrader...that sucks that you got ripped.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

man all parts trader is, is one big scam place. I got ripped for $800 for a turbo kit. One of thoise 1/2 now 1/2 on delivery deals......yeah that was 6 months ago.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got burnt for 300 on a exhaust last year. But i have bought other stuff for good deals. I usually stay away from that place unless i can pick the stuff up.
Old 02-08-2002, 01:07 PM

Default Re: 300whp from stock LS (Speed PHreak)

I too almost got burnt for $1200, another half now half later deal....this was on a SOHC Greddy turbo kit, from a guy named Benjamin Shew in Palo Alto, CA. Hope the fleas of a thousand camels infest his armpits.
Old 02-08-2002, 02:01 PM
New User

Default Re: 300whp from stock LS (Speed PHreak)

I sure he meant 3 tenths of a point. I doubt the thing would run with 6.X compression. Head gasket are just aonther bandaid for poor tunning, just like, FMU's, check vavles, and fuel pumps.

he's a little off......but he meant well. inline doesn't put thicker headgaskets on ls motors.
Old 02-08-2002, 04:05 PM
New User

What kind of wastegate are you running?? I have a LS too, and that setup sounds like what I'm looking for. Thanks Man!
Old 02-08-2002, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 300whp from stock LS (Project_Integra)

Most of the DRAG III kits here run Tial wastgates, some still stick with the Deltas if they don't see a problem with boost creep.

Boosted Hybrid: I tried the setting you suggested and the motor seems to pull harder now. I also Tinkered with the fuel and spark curves on my standalone. I Just tried a full throttle launch@2700 RPM(Zdyne, gotta love it), this was on a backroad at 2 o'clock here. I launched like I would be racing someone at a light. Traction is worse of a problem now, 1st and 2nd just spin now they used to grab some, 3rd rips and doesn't bog anymore when I shift to it in a race situation, it just pulls like a SOB.....In what is about a 1/4 mile I was at 115mph..... Can't wait to break it out on someone saturday night......
Old 02-08-2002, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am using a Tial 35mm wastegate.

That is awesome that the cam settings are working for you. It does make a big difference when those 5-10hp are spread throughout the rpm band.
Old 02-09-2002, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also I shifted one time last night and heard a POP and maybe saw a flash, could that mean i'm running rich? LOL

Quick Reply: 300whp from stock LS