Notices

20G BMW M3

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20G BMW M3

so my friend has a 99 turbo m3 with a 20g turbo and the rest of the parts he peiced together. he and many friends said he ran 11.5 spining tires down the track. he claims to be putting down 500-550 rwhp on stock internals is this possible? ive been going all over the bmw forums and there is only a handful of major companies that i have found with that hp on stock internals. does this seem right? im just a little skeptical
thanks,
Old 07-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 20G BMW M3 (TheCheeseWedge)

That seems (in my experience) to be a lot of horsepower for a 20G. There may be many different versions of the Mitsu 20G though. Hahn rates their 20G's only to about 450HP.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Def
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 20G BMW M3 (Westrock2000)

20G's are a horrible turbo for E36 M3's(if that's the generation he has, which I'm guessing it is). It doesn't match the engine at all.

They typically put down about 420-460rwhp with the boost max'd out with a lower compression head gasket. Usually they clip the turbine wheel too since it's too small for a 3-3.2L engine, so it lags like a **** until about 4.5k.

Might run low 12's at best.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 20G BMW M3 (Def)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Def &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">20G's are a horrible turbo for E36 M3's(if that's the generation he has, which I'm guessing it is). It doesn't match the engine at all.

They typically put down about 420-460rwhp with the boost max'd out with a lower compression head gasket. Usually they clip the turbine wheel too since it's too small for a 3-3.2L engine, so it lags like a **** until about 4.5k.

Might run low 12's at best.</TD></TR></TABLE>

good **** lol maybe i should ask him for a dyno graph! of course that could be a little too technical for street talk lol
Old 07-03-2006, 02:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 20G BMW M3 (TheCheeseWedge)

I believe your friend in question posts under the name BoostedBmr916 on Bimmerforums.

Is his car fast? Yup.
Is it merely a 20g? Nope.
Is it 550whp. Probably not.

Link to a long thread started by him on Bimmerforums

<u>Cliff notes:</u>
- He posts a video of a fast Cobra followed by his car doing a 'fly by'.
- He makes claims of beating xyz cars, but that his car is 'breaking up' at high boost.
- The video of his car breaking up appears to be him just getting walked on the high end. The 20g turbos run out of steam fairly early (5.5k rpm peak)
- I've offered to pay for his dyno session if he dyno'd over 450whp in the past, even though he claims 550. I bring this back up and he still dances around the issue.
- Finally admits his turbo isn't a 'stock' 20g turbo (14cm^2 housing....a common upgrade for Typhoons/Syclones), but rather a funky 60-1'ish hybrid from Greddy and the 'stock chip' is really a Unichip.
- Others join in doubting him and asking why he refuses a free dyno. He throws a fit and asks that his account be deleted.

There is video of the car floating around at the drag strip. Again, it's obviously fast....but not a 'basic' 20g kit nor any where near 550hp.

The highest HP 'stock' 20g that I'm aware of did 411whp/447tq with a lowered compression headgasket and a whole of time on the dyno: Dyno here

Can you run 500 hp with stock compression? Yup. See this thread

Add a lower compression head gasket, some ARP head studs, a GT35R or equivalent, and a good tune and you can see upwards of 600whp on stock internals.

Again, I applaud your friend for not being afraid of poping the motor and taking it to the strip (unlike 90% of most turbo bmw owners)....but you can't just arbitrarly pick a hp number based on how the car 'feels'. A dyno or trapspeed/race weight will.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 20G BMW M3 (FritzInTN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FritzInTN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I believe your friend in question posts under the name BoostedBmr916 on Bimmerforums.

Is his car fast? Yup.
Is it merely a 20g? Nope.
Is it 550whp. Probably not.

Link to a long thread started by him on Bimmerforums

<u>Cliff notes:</u>
- He posts a video of a fast Cobra followed by his car doing a 'fly by'.
- He makes claims of beating xyz cars, but that his car is 'breaking up' at high boost.
- The video of his car breaking up appears to be him just getting walked on the high end. The 20g turbos run out of steam fairly early (5.5k rpm peak)
- I've offered to pay for his dyno session if he dyno'd over 450whp in the past, even though he claims 550. I bring this back up and he still dances around the issue.
- Finally admits his turbo isn't a 'stock' 20g turbo (14cm^2 housing....a common upgrade for Typhoons/Syclones), but rather a funky 60-1'ish hybrid from Greddy and the 'stock chip' is really a Unichip.
- Others join in doubting him and asking why he refuses a free dyno. He throws a fit and asks that his account be deleted.

There is video of the car floating around at the drag strip. Again, it's obviously fast....but not a 'basic' 20g kit nor any where near 550hp.

The highest HP 'stock' 20g that I'm aware of did 411whp/447tq with a lowered compression headgasket and a whole of time on the dyno: Dyno here

Can you run 500 hp with stock compression? Yup. See this thread

Add a lower compression head gasket, some ARP head studs, a GT35R or equivalent, and a good tune and you can see upwards of 600whp on stock internals.

Again, I applaud your friend for not being afraid of poping the motor and taking it to the strip (unlike 90% of most turbo bmw owners)....but you can't just arbitrarly pick a hp number based on how the car 'feels'. A dyno or trapspeed/race weight will. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thank you! i never doubted he could run 500+hp on stock internals i doubted he did that on a 20g turbo as far as im concerned if a honda can do a bimmer should be able to do it. he talks alot of **** to everyone around here especially about hondas lol and its funny pretty much everything i assumed i was pretty damn close. haha i agree the thing is fast. and sounds like **** lol like horrible noise from the exhaust! hes probably a good 12 second car from what i determined by when i raced him and other friends racing him. ive seen his setup it was "alright" but he seems to think its a godsend lol