Notices

2004 civic DX( worth moding?)

Old 11-28-2003, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 civic DX( worth moding?)

I recently bought my first honda and i've been pleased with it.. 2004 civic dx" VP".. I just needed a daily driver for my girlfriend and i. I have a 99 SVT Cobra stored away for the winter... I've always wanted a honda for the reliability.. I like moding cars so i was wondering if a turbo kit or 75 shot of nitrous with bolt ons would be a waste.. What are some times that ppl are turning up with these cars? I wouldn't mind swaping in the k24, but thats too much money.. I'm not looking for a race car just something semi fast and nice.. i kinda know what i want for appearance, but i just wanna know the best way at getting some power out of the 1.7 sohc.. It's decent with its 115hp for normal driving, but i want a cool car with some go also.. thanks
Old 11-28-2003, 05:04 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if you want some go,
def dont waste money modding the stock engine.
FI would work on it, if there are available setups.

But in my opinion, I'd definetely say, do the suspension up! and dont even worry about the engine, it wont be fast, but it'll be SO much more fun to drive! Civics can be very capable and safe around corners(fwd can be forgiving for the streets).
Get some nice 16x7 wheels with 205/45/16 or 215/40/16 sticky sticky tires,

good stiff springs and proper shocks(konis if u can) or full coilovers.
and ur set!

although it is your daily driver, so this is only an option if you dont mind a bumpy ride.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2004 civic DX( worth moding?) (adrenalinemonkey12)

hmmm...for cheap I'd do nitrous!

Don't know about a 75 shot though. I'm sure its doable, but I wouldn't want anything to go wrong.

I'd start with a 50 shot and maybe then work your way up.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:44 PM

go to 2kcivic.com they have lots of info on Turboing a 7th gen, the only companies with kits available are Turbo Discounters and Staford Fabrications, the most popular one is the SF, cause it's been the most reliable and there are kuite a few upgrades....

some one even ran a 13.4 with stock exhaust..
Old 11-28-2003, 07:22 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adrenalinemonkey12 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> was wondering if a turbo kit </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea SF makes the most reliable and powerful , proven kit for the 7thgen.. theres no website but you can contact them either at StaffordFabrication@yahoo.com or mike on aim : CatalystCivic .. he can tell you anything u wanna know.... base kit is 3200 i believe, but then u can add an air to water IC, upgrade turbo, upgrade manifold, upgrade downpipe, etc...
I have a 2k1 with an SF kit. Im actually waiting for Ups as we speak for them to send me my methanol injection kit and at 11psi i think we're seeing something like 250whp running High-to mid 12's, but dont quote me on that ask the guys at sf they can tell you... but ne way the kit comes complete...all u need is a boost gauge, and a timer imo..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adrenalinemonkey12 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
but i just wanna know the best way at getting some power out of the 1.7 sohc.. It's decent with its 115hp for normal driving, but i want a cool car with some go also.. thanks

</TD></TR></TABLE>
at at 11psi i think we're seeing something like 250whp running High-to mid 12's, but dont quote me on that ask the guys at sf they can tell you... but ne way the kit comes complete...all u need is a boost gauge, and a timer imo..
oh here's my kit.. before and after..

P.S. ill beat your cobra
Old 11-28-2003, 07:29 PM

Default Re: 2004 civic DX( worth moding?) (Osoboosted)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Osoboosted &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
P.S. ill beat your cobra </TD></TR></TABLE>

2k1 civic with turbo...against a 99 cobra svt?...i don't think so.

That kit is kinda...strange looking or something, so glad i have a 6th gen.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:44 PM

Default Re: 2004 civic DX( worth moding?) (phreakmang)

Sweet thanks for the help.. I had been looking all over the net for parts.. I saw a kit from rev hard and i think greddy makes one now too, but i could be wrong.. that kit looks nice and neet.. Does it come with a pre programmed ecu? 250whp is sick lol... i would be happy with 180... Yea i deffinatly will start with suspention, and in the mean time weigh out how far i wanna go with the engine.. As for the stang, i think they run 13.8 stock.. I actually just bought the svt about 2 months ago so i haven't had a chance to take it to the track.. My cousin has a 2000 Firehawk with full exhaust, and some other little things.. My cobra is stock and it keeps up with his firehawk.. I raced him once from around 20-80 and it was door to door.. It's a fun car, but for some reason it doesn't feel as cool as a moded FWD.. Theres too much that can go wrong.. I never take turns fast and its a bitch in wet situations.. With the traction control off i break the tires loose going into 4th. Kinda scary feeling..
Old 11-29-2003, 09:23 AM

yea i love the cobra's i used to have a 96' ... with some mod's, just SOME ull def take me ... but 99 svt stock, against me, yea ill win...

and Turbo Discounters and MaxRev make a kit... neither work as well and both have u lose ur AC... not a factor with the SF kit tho..
Old 11-29-2003, 10:35 PM

Default Re: (Osoboosted)

Did some thinking.. I know a kid with an 03 ex.. So chances are he has the 127hp vtec motor.. he had some minor bolt ons and a 75 shot of nitrous and he was hitting 14.8.. So i'm thinking, the 1.7 sohc sporting the 115hp puts roughly 100whp down.. If i were to get all the major bolt on's such as: AEM V2 intake, pullies, header and catback exhaust, throttle body... and then run a 50-75 shot.. that should be quick enough for me.. How safe is a 50 and 75 shot.. how big of a shot can i safely run? what does a stock DX 5speed run anyhow? I was guessing high 16's..
Old 11-29-2003, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2004 civic DX( worth moding?) (phreakmang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phreakmang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

2k1 civic with turbo...against a 99 cobra svt?...i don't think so.

That kit is kinda...strange looking or something, so glad i have a 6th gen.</TD></TR></TABLE>

im with you there man.... the fuel setup looks different being returnless meh

although i do like the ic piping and always cool to see a new turbo civ
Old 11-30-2003, 12:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 2004 civic DX( worth moding?) (FourceFed)

Personally id convert it to a return line fuel system...and then use a haltech, aem, speedpro, or something like that. For i know hondata has a system. Then do a custom turbo setup with say a 50trim t3/t4 .48ar. Would make for an awesome daily driver. Ditch that ghetto intake manifold for sure!

Your other option is swapping a k20 into your civic. Its a little pricey since the motors are still hard to fine, but you can make 200whp all motor really easy with those motors. It would be a very fun little car.

liam
Old 11-30-2003, 10:14 AM

Default Re: (adrenalinemonkey12)

[QUOTE=adrenalinemonkey12]Did some thinking.. I know a kid with an 03 ex.. So chances are he has the 127hp vtec motor.. he had some minor bolt ons and a 75 shot of nitrous and he was hitting 14.8.. QUOTE]

well.. all i know is some guy has a 02 ex with 75 shot, with and I/H/E and ive raced him plenty of times...
its no contest... at 5psi i can beat him starting off in second...

oh and to comment on the return system that someone said.. i know of 2 people in the country that have done it.. one is my friend ... and if ur interested in wasting 1500+ on it ... go right ahead.. ProvenPerformance.com ... "proven" in CT.. did his return system.. so im sure if u talked to them they could help you.

and NO they dont make Hondata for the 7thgen.
k20 is an option.. but its not cost effective.. i almost went that route myself .. but with me installing it myself it would have totaled out to be 8k there are too many extra parts that are needed for the swap(subframe,mounts,flash ecu, calbles , etc)...
My car turbo .. puts out more then that engine ne day.
5psi and an RSX-S wont be able to keep up in any gear..

Old 11-30-2003, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Osoboosted &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

that intercooler sucks. that thing would flow like ****. ditch it and get a real kit. or make your own. HKS makes a nice turbo manifold andu can run any of their turbos with it. 325 for the manifold, prolly 500 for the turbo good intercooler can be had for 300-400, chargepipes can be made for 60 bucks, bov would be 40 for a good 1g dsm, and u may be able to use dsm 450cc injectors with a resistor box, but i could be totaly wronge, someone correct me if im wronge,
325 manifold
500 turbo
400 intercooler
60 charge pipes
40 connections
40 bov
100 oil lines
300 vafc good for 10-11psi
10 resistors
dp 200
total under $2500. don't buy that kit it looks like ****, go with hks and make your own.
boost it and run closer to your mustange.

Modified by bmcc72 at 8:21 AM 12/2/2003
Old 11-30-2003, 11:35 AM

Default Re: 2004 civic DX( worth moding?) (bmcc72)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmcc72 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that intercooler sucks. that thing would flow like ****. ditch it and get a real kit. or make your own. get a revhard, or Fmax kit. very nice Fmax requires no moding to fit. boost it and run closer to your mustange. </TD></TR></TABLE>

people like you are so ignorant. you know nothing.ABSOLUTELY nothing.. u need to learn more.
if you knew ne thing about the 7thgens u wouldnt have a word to say.

but let me fill you in alil..
A.REVHARD or Fmax NEITHER MAKE A KIT.
B. my intercooler works the same if not better then any intercooler uve seen. Just cause its different u dont like it ..and please explain how it flows like ****? have u seen the inside of my intercooler. No. thank you. my IC is like that so that i can I can keep my A/C
C.again FMAX does NOT make a kit... and EVERY KIT THAT IS MADE FOR THIS CAR REQUIRES MODIFICATION EXCEPT MINE.

so please if u gonna comment of what ive got.. atleast put some thought behind it..

p.s. if u think ur fast.. Come RACE.

Modified by Osoboosted at 5:03 PM 11/30/2003
Old 11-30-2003, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i didn't know u bends were efficient. damn wish my exhaust had circles in it so it would flow better. dumb *** thats why strait throw mufflers flow a much larger volume of air than a regular muffler. just like a strait through intercooler will flow more air than one that has a u bend it in. think and ive read up on this **** for the past year. im on my second turbo car. and i don't really care how fast your damn car is that has nothing to do with it. for 2500 bucks u can make a much nicer kit than yours for 3200 bucks, and get as much if not more than your kit in hp numbers.

yes i got owned, 99 civic is not a 7th gen, bu i corrected my statments and im giving good advice now that i did alittle research.

Modified by bmcc72 at 8:26 AM 12/2/2003
Old 11-30-2003, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would leave it stock, or maybe a 50 shot..thats about it..
Old 11-30-2003, 10:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmcc72 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> for 3500 bucks he can get a much nicer kit by buying a Fmax kit and getting a d16y8 then no modifications will be needed. and he will have higher hp numbers. i just put an Fmax kit in a 99 civic ex coupe. nice install and no modifying needed. oh and sorry i fogot fmax doesn't make their kits turbobonics does but to their specs. jackass.

so before u start calling people ignerant u should watch your tounge why would people buy a turbo kit from an arogant *****? </TD></TR></TABLE>

d16y8 you really need to learn what engine is being debated here... its a d17. By saying a Fmax kit willl fit with a d16y8 with no modifying needed is by far the worste statement yet.. please stop this arguement. you know nothing of the 7thgeneration civic.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i don;t know much about the d17 thats why i commented on your horrable intercooler. then i sejested he get a d16y8, and swap that in, better tranny, and more turbo kits will bolt up to it. but now ive learned it won;t fit in his car. this whole argument started by me stating that intercooler in that picture would flow like crap. my statement still stands true, and i proved my point. that intercooler does suck. as for the turbo kit for the d17, if he went with that kit then i would highly sejest getting a better front mount intercooler, just buy the turbo, manifold, and dp, and that fuel managment sucks, for his car i would recomend the greddy Emanage with the Greddy E-01 i just installed that in a 99 civic ex, which is the obd2b and it worked great, your right i may not know much about the d17 motor, but who gives a **** i never said i did.

don't use that intercooler.
vafc and dsm 450s would be a better fuel manage setup.
and the greddy emanage with the E-01 u can adjust fuel maps for much greater tuning, it may only changed the voltage of the map but when your running a 3bar u get great results. this is a nice setup.

Modified by bmcc72 at 8:29 AM 12/2/2003
Old 12-01-2003, 06:31 AM
i HAS questions ?

That's a pretty hackjob looking way to attach a blow off valve...
Old 12-01-2003, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmcc72 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well lets see the d16y8 comes stock in a 99 civic ex. which is a 7th gen because its obd2b instead of obd2a. jackass.

i don;t know much about the d17 thats why i commented on your horrable intercooler. then i sejested he get a d16y8, and swap that in, better tranny, and more turbo kits will bolt up to it. and no fabrication work is needed to drop it in. of course u need the ecu, dizzy, and engine harsess, but thats not a big deal, and if he is ganna do a turbo kit or nos install he should be able to do that engine swap otherwise forget moding his car. this whole argument started by me stating that intercooler in that picture would flow like crap. my statement still stands true, and i proved my point. that intercooler does suck. as for the turbo kit for the d17, if he went with that kit then i would highly sejest getting a better front mount intercooler, just buy the turbo, manifold, and dp, and that fuel managment sucks, for his car i would recomend the greddy Emanage with the Greddy E-01 i just installed that in a 99 civic ex, which is the obd2b and it worked great, your right i may not know much about the d17 motor, but who gives a **** i never said i did.

don't use that intercooler.
id swap in a d16y8 from a 99 civic ex so u have all the right electronics.

im out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

my 94 civic is obd1 does that make it a 1st gen? Because thats the kind of logic you are using. I guess in your head obd1=1st gen=ob2= 2nd gen, obd2b=7th gen. I never knew that manufacturers based model changes on when obd systems are revised so I guess there have been 6 different previous obd systems on cars and cars didnt exist before obd you should have just stayed quiet bud.

The intercooler will be just fine for the power that motor would produce, unless the motor is built. A gargantuous intercooler is not needed for the ~200whp range.

Also your logic of changing over an entire motor because it doensn't have the 'right' electronics is blasphemous.

E-manage sucks too. All it is is a costly piggyback system, it doesn't allow you to change the base map of the stock ecu. All it does is manipulate the map voltage just like an afc hack would. The only way it would really differentiate from an afc for example is it allows to tune ignition timing independently from fuel and doubles as an additional injecotor controller. Otherwise it highly limits your tuning just like any other piggyback.

Also I suggest using this when you post next time
Old 12-01-2003, 03:33 PM

Default Re: 2004 civic DX( worth moding?) (AztecEJ)

and to continue pointing out ur stupidity...... A D16 CANNOT FIT IN A 7THGEN.. cannot.. CANNOT...beleive it or not YOU CANT......an no a 99 civic IS NOT A 7THGEN.

Old 12-01-2003, 03:38 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmcc72 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well lets see the d16y8 comes stock in a 99 civic ex. which is a 7th gen because its obd2b instead of obd2a. jackass.

i don;t know much about the d17 thats why i commented on your horrable intercooler. im out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

dude ... You dont know much about anything let alone the engine in a 7thgen civic.....

You remind of the kids i see on the weekends who drive 99-00 si's ... they think that The DOHC vtec makes them have 500+
i hate vtec.
yea i hate it .
and i hate the D series engines....
but sadly enough... my D series is NOTHING like ur lil d16y8.... the ONLY thing that is the same on our cars... is the clutch and the brakes... nothing else is the same. nothing...

so stop talking **** about an engine and design that u know nothing about .

go down to the local mechanics shop and hang around there for a few years.. maybe ull learn how to change a tire.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the sf kit on my matrix, and to much dismay, the kit is very reliable. And i make a decent amount of HP. I have over 30k miles under boost using a very similar fuel system. Ie my car has no return fuel line. In regards to the Ic it flows good, sorry its not all bling, but why pay more for shiny ****. I would just paint it black anyway.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:58 PM

Default Re: 2004 civic DX( worth moding?) (beeseries)

IBlock
Old 12-01-2003, 05:33 PM

id swap in a d16y8 from a 99 civic ex so u have all the right electronics.

im out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You... are an idiot.

1) The 7th generation Civics are 2001+, and come with the D17xx motor, except for the Si hatch, which has a K-series.
2) Obvious legality: you may not swap an older motor than the body of the car. So, putting any D16Y8 into a 7th gen Civic is illegal. Federal law, as well as emission law in many states.
3) The SF kit for the 7th gen Civics is the best kit out there short of going with a custom kit, with respectable numbers and timeslips. True, the intercooler may not flow the best in the world, but if you're only running up to 10psi, damn near any intercooler that size will flow efficiently enough to work well. I have a straight through intercooler on my 7th gen, which required some creative piping leading from the turbo to the intercooler, they just did it a different way. Works just as well.

You can bitch about the intercooler, I'm not a big fan of the way it looks, but it seems to work very well on their customer's cars. But don't talk about putting a D16Y8 in a 7th gen, or that a 99 Civic is a 7th gen. You'll make an even bigger fool of yourself than you already have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 civic DX( worth moding?)