Notices

2 stage boost controller for my set up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 stage boost controller for my set up?

I am looking a a turbosmart 2 stage controller the motor is a stock Jdm sir in an eg gutted. eBay t3t4 around 240 hp on 7 psi

Anyone use these? It seems like something I could benefit but need two chips still? I just like the idea of a switch for more power lol

& What boost? I guess I can only do 11 with stock map and 8 for dd?

Lf opinions and experiences with them! New clutch goes in and track after!

Thx
Old 09-05-2012, 05:31 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 2 stage boost controller for my set up?

What are you tuned on? You dont need a 2 stage. You can drive a boost controller from the ECU and run boost by gear for traction and/or a hi/low boost switch.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's on chrome I think what needs done is tune for high boost and save the 7lb tune on a chip as well. Car is used for mostly racing so 10-11 on high 7 in first and second gear...

Hmm?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:49 AM
Moderator in Chief

No its the same tune. You tune from 0 to maximum boost so anything in between is safe. You can have 7psi in 1st and 2nd gear then 11psi in 3,4,5 gears.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Seems like im fkd till I build the motor I got the controller but some info came out second setting is 15lbs minimum.

So! I'll tune for 11 lbs DD stock b16a? Uh oh....
Old 10-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Re: 2 stage boost controller for my set up?

Originally Posted by Muckman
No its the same tune. You tune from 0 to maximum boost so anything in between is safe. You can have 7psi in 1st and 2nd gear then 11psi in 3,4,5 gears.
I was just wondering about this as well.. Muckman, if you could shed somemore insight on this subject I would greatly appreciate it.
Say you have a dual stage boost controller (Turbosmart). Low boost is 15psi and high boost is 30psi. What I am trying to understand is how exactly the tuning of the ecu works for this. Is it just one map and like you said, tune it for the max boost (30psi) and even if its set on low boost, the tune/ fuel map will accommodate that as well? Also, does it connect to the ecu at all? (I know that a boost control solenoid (hondata/mac/aem) is a great option and they do connect to the ecu).

Also with the dual stage, is it possible to run low boost on pump gas and then when you 'hit the switch' to high boost run on race gas? Or would you need to have 2 separate maps (1 setup for pump and the other for race fuel)? Or... (Please please correct me if I am wrong or not making any sense) 1 map setup up: 0 to max boost on pump gas but you are able to put race gas in it and flip the switch from low to high...? My bad for the paragraphs. But this is something I have been rather curious about and would like to know and understand. Any info on this would be great, thank you!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Moderator in Chief

The Turbosmart dual stage boost controller is a remote controlled manual boost controller that allows you to have two boost settings. It does not connect to the ECU.

A tuned calibration should have all load cells tuned - From full vacuum up to your maximum boost and everything in between. So if you drive between those boost points the ECU can measure the pressure and read the right cells.

If you wanted your high boost setting to be tuned for a different fuel you would want a second map because you still need the proper fuel tune for vacuum and all the load points in between. You could wire your hi/low boost switch to also toggle between maps too.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:44 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm very pleased that someone finally put it in perspective. It's one tune and a range of boost pressures under that one tune, unless there is a fuel change
Old 10-04-2012, 10:29 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Originally Posted by Muckman

A tuned calibration should have all load cells tuned - From full vacuum up to your maximum boost and everything in between. So if you drive between those boost points the ECU can measure the pressure and read the right cells.
This is how my tuner set up my ecu.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by justYncredible
This is how my tuner set up my ecu.
That's how most are setup
Old 10-05-2012, 02:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I love it. 7lbs off the line and creep to 10 as soon as I throw second gear.

Highly recommend if hondata is not an option.

Now I just need tuned for those 10-12lbs :p
Old 10-05-2012, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by bk1019
I was just wondering about this as well.. Muckman, if you could shed somemore insight on this subject I would greatly appreciate it.
Say you have a dual stage boost controller (Turbosmart). Low boost is 15psi and high boost is 30psi. What I am trying to understand is how exactly the tuning of the ecu works for this. Is it just one map and like you said, tune it for the max boost (30psi) and even if its set on low boost, the tune/ fuel map will accommodate that as well? Also, does it connect to the ecu at all? (I know that a boost control solenoid (hondata/mac/aem) is a great option and they do connect to the ecu).

Yes, the fuel map will accomodate 15psi-30psi and everything in between
No. that's why its called a manual boost controller. No ECU connection

Also with the dual stage, is it possible to run low boost on pump gas and then when you 'hit the switch' to high boost run on race gas?

Yes. As long as you know the day you're going to run higher boost pressure

Or would you need to have 2 separate maps (1 setup for pump and the other for race fuel)? Or... (Please please correct me if I am wrong or not making any sense) 1 map setup up: 0 to max boost on pump gas but you are able to put race gas in it and flip the switch from low to high...? My bad for the paragraphs. But this is something I have been rather curious about and would like to know and understand. Any info on this would be great, thank you!!!
A lot of this is rather common on MANY other platforms, so it shouldn't be this foreign to you. I'm not surprised that with all this "BBG" and "Anti-X" and "Gear-based-Y", a good old fashioned ball and spring boost controller is so foreign to so many
Old 10-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does chrome have boost cut?

Something else to keep in mind with using the oem Map sensor....it may only read to 10.5 so if you set your boost cut to 11psi it would never get there to activate. Therefore over boosting without you knowing. It can be risky to not have boost cut in place.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: 2 stage boost controller for my set up?

Originally Posted by TheShodan
A lot of this is rather common on MANY other platforms, so it shouldn't be this foreign to you. I'm not surprised that with all this "BBG" and "Anti-X" and "Gear-based-Y", a good old fashioned ball and spring boost controller is so foreign to so many
Muckman- "If you wanted your high boost setting to be tuned for a different fuel you would want a second map because you still need the proper fuel tune for vacuum and all the load points in between. You could wire your hi/low boost switch to also toggle between maps too".

Much thanks to Muckman and TheShodan!!!

Now, I am curious as to how you can wire the hi/lo boost switch to toggle between pump and race fuels? I thought the switch only had wires for power and then a ground? Much thanks in advance!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am curious as to how you can wire the hi/lo boost switch to toggle between pump and race fuels? I thought the switch only had wires for power and then a ground? Much thanks!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:50 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

All these newbs as of late are making my head hurt.

CROME has boost cut.

CROME does NOT support map switching on the fly built into the EMS.

Moates "2TIMER" does however allow for 2 maps to be loaded to a single PROM and switched when grounded.

I am so good, I make a fresh tune every time I drive my car... I have the grandkids push random numbers in all of the grid so it keeps it interesting.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ Glad you feel that way. I was not talking about CROME. If nothing I would be asking about AEM and having the Turbosmart Dual Stage be hooked up to that essentially and toggle between the maps for low boost/93pump and high boost/race fuel.... Could anyone please explain/ shed some light? Thanks!!!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:34 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Who in the world said I was talking to you?

Either way you CLEARLY need to read up and learn about the EMS. All of your basic questions are easily amswered in the user manual. You can also download it online...
Old 10-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Woooo was just smacking 11psi on a -1c temps hooking hard! Hit 3rd n hear the extra scream. She's runnin pig rich still 10.6 even on high boost. I didn't hurt anything so more tuning and maxxxxxxx this engine / turbo

So much thx to ht! I assume if I hit 12lbs if
Get a cel. No way id try un tuned tho
Old 10-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
Who in the world said I was talking to you?

Either way you CLEARLY need to read up and learn about the EMS. All of your basic questions are easily amswered in the user manual. You can also download it online...
No one, did I wasn't trying to start a battle or anything on here. I've learned so much already from HT and clearly I have a lot more to go... And you are right. I merely posed the question on here in hopes that someone could provide quick insight has they have already done. Thank you, it is greatly appreciated. I meant no disrespect..