Notices

$40 DIY Dyno, can it work?

Old 11-18-2002, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $40 DIY Dyno, can it work?

http://www.charm.net/~mchaney/homedy...edyno.htm#inst

I saw this a few years back when i was messing with my Probe but never had any disposiable income to try it out. Theres a message board with people that are using it but I wanted to see if anyone here had heard of this before (couldnt find anything in the searches).
Old 11-18-2002, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $40 DIY Dyno, can it work? (FMXer)

I saw this a few years back when i was messing with my Probe but never had any disposiable income to try it out. Theres a message board with people that are using it but I wanted to see if anyone here had heard of this before (couldnt find anything in the searches).
WOW that looks pretty cool... TTT
Old 11-18-2002, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I remember seeing that a while ago too. not sure how accurate it is. Very interesting though!
Old 11-18-2002, 07:15 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: $40 DIY Dyno, can it work? (machaf)

hah. thats pretty interesting.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: $40 DIY Dyno, can it work? (falconGSR)

Neat idea, but if ultimately we were looking for an increase in speed over a shorter amount of time, then perhaps using a Freq-to-Voltage converter on the VSS line and then plotting that against time might also work, not so much as a dyno....but it would show increases/decreases with modifications you make.

Just a thought.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:21 AM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $40 DIY Dyno, can it work? (EE_Chris)

I think it would work fine. You need to have all your specs typed in correctly. The results are only as accurate as the specs you type in. The roaddyno along with wbo2 could be a nice affordable way to tune.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $40 DIY Dyno, can it work? (mos)

thats pretty cool. i may try that. what would we enter as Drive axle ratio, would it be our FD ratio?
Old 11-18-2002, 08:39 AM
New User

They work, except any wheelspin will completely void your results, and it doesn't take into account aerodynamic drag so you'll get VERY different numbers depending on what gear you're in. I personally think accelerometer based things like the Gtech and the Race Technologies units are a better bet for most purposes. But either way they're OK for doing before/after comparisons with your car, just don't go trying to pass them off as real dyno numbers.

Old 11-18-2002, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HomeDyno

Frank Lin has one. It's been a while since I heard him talk about it, but I believe he liked it and reported it being in-line with his previouis Dynojet results.

- Slater
Old 11-18-2002, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $40 DIY Dyno, can it work? (dbman96)

They work, except any wheelspin will completely void your results, and it doesn't take into account aerodynamic drag so you'll get VERY different numbers depending on what gear you're in. I personally think accelerometer based things like the Gtech and the Race Technologies units are a better bet for most purposes. But either way they're OK for doing before/after comparisons with your car, just don't go trying to pass them off as real dyno numbers.
wouldnt this count?:

Drag coefficient: Enter the vehicle's drag coefficient. This is needed to accurately measure acceleration (and hence power), especially if you need to run the test in a higher gear due to wheelspin. If you don't know your drag coefficient, just enter 0.32. That should be close enough unless you plan to break the sound barrier!
Old 11-18-2002, 12:07 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: $40 DIY Dyno, can it work? (blufke)

ehh just go to a dyno, that way we're all measuring our dicks with the same kinda rulers.
Old 11-18-2002, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $40 DIY Dyno, can it work? (falconGSR)

ehh just go to a dyno, that way we're all measuring our dicks with the same kinda rulers.
you measure your dick? are you insecure.
Old 11-18-2002, 12:41 PM

Default Re: $40 DIY Dyno, can it work? (blufke)

Yes, it works great. I bought the assembled kit for $150 and it works great.
It does take aerodynamic drag into account, despite what someone above said. Compare these 2 graphs..... First is a graph from my road dyno. Second is from a dynojet done a few days later with no changes made. The lower of the 2 curves is first, the higher one is after an hour of tuning. That's pretty &*#$%&* accurate in my book! Well worth the money and very accurate, I advise you buy one if you have a use for it. The higher torque peak onthe road dyno graph is due to wheel spin on the street. No spin on the dynojet....

[Modified by biskit, 9:42 PM 11/18/2002]
Old 11-18-2002, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm i dunno, id rather go to the dyno and know its 100%
Old 11-18-2002, 03:59 PM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $40 DIY Dyno, can it work? (FredoSP)

Hrrms its 1.4 horsepower off not counting the wheelspin error at low rpm... good enough for me. I've seen other people have similarly low error margins. At this price level there are NO other options. You can build this yourself with parts you already have. And there are free versions of similar software available for download from other websites.

But yeah, if you got the bucks I guess the realdyno is a better choice, but this product is not intended to compete with the realdealdyno. It's for people who would never venture out to a dyno for lack of fundage. People like... like me.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:10 PM

Default Re: $40 DIY Dyno, can it work? (mos)

notice the point where they make the max power arent the same....
Old 11-18-2002, 08:52 PM

Default Re: $40 DIY Dyno, can it work? (integra-modder)

notice the point where they make the max power arent the same....
the HP is very close.
and TQ, he said its b/c of wheel spin

max HP @ about 5700rpm on first dyno and just about same on second one..
so if you're just looking at WHP thats pretty darn close

[Modified by crzsomang, 5:54 AM 11/19/2002]

[Modified by crzsomang, 5:54 AM 11/19/2002]
Old 11-18-2002, 09:49 PM

Default Re: $40 DIY Dyno, can it work? (crzsomang)

I found a Comparison to a dynojet, good enough for me...
http://www.zx2.org/homedynovsdynojet.htm

Thursday is payday, I'll order it then and post my results
Old 11-19-2002, 01:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm...look at the increments in the RPM on the gragh...they are very inconsistant increments...probably done intentionally to make it appear that the two dynos give similar results.....I'd want to see a more standard and consistant dyno plot before I'd invest in something like that...

[Modified by MiraiZ, 7:18 PM 11/19/2002]
Old 11-19-2002, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah I've used it to tune local cars who don't care to go to dyno because they want to remain private ... next best thing to the g-tech or a dyno session. I use in conjuction with a wideband and it gets the job done

greg
Old 11-19-2002, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: $40 DIY Dyno, can it work? (CHEETAH)

Nology PDA Dyno for OBDII
Old 11-19-2002, 08:02 AM

Default Re: $40 DIY Dyno, can it work? (Marauder)

"wah, I don't have it so it sucks"
Typical whiner comments. They were made 2 weeks apart, different weather, different gas, different state. And chassis dynos aren't exactly super-duper accurate either..... Let me know when you want to race for money.
Old 05-10-2003, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $40 DIY Dyno, can it work? (biskit)

Bringing this back from the dead. Does anyone else have this?I might think about getting this.
Old 05-10-2003, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $40 DIY Dyno, can it work? (MiraiZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MiraiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm...look at the increments in the RPM on the gragh...they are very inconsistant increments...probably done intentionally to make it appear that the two dynos give similar results.....I'd want to see a more standard and consistant dyno plot before I'd invest in something like that... &lt;IMG NAME="icon" SRC="http://rely.net/~htimages/smile/emdgust.gif" BORDER="0"&gt;

[Modified by MiraiZ, 7:18 PM 11/19/2002]</TD></TR></TABLE>

If they are both on the same scale it doesn't matter what the scale is. If you were only looking at the table you could manipulate the data, but you can't make the graph lie the way it is presented.

Someone mentioned hooking it up to the VSS...I don't think that would work very well, because it would go apeshit whenever you had wheel spin.

::EDIT:: Another thought...I was assuming this was like the GtechPro, but it's not...this also does not take into account wheel spin, nor changes in ignition timing (though that would be a localized effect, only influencing the measurement immediately around that point)...
Old 05-10-2003, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $40 DIY Dyno, can it work? (biskit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by biskit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, it works great. I bought the assembled kit for $150 and it works great.
It does take aerodynamic drag into account, despite what someone above said. Compare these 2 graphs..... First is a graph from my road dyno. Second is from a dynojet done a few days later with no changes made. The lower of the 2 curves is first, the higher one is after an hour of tuning. That's pretty &*#$%&* accurate in my book! Well worth the money and very accurate, I advise you buy one if you have a use for it. The higher torque peak onthe road dyno graph is due to wheel spin on the street. No spin on the dynojet....

[Modified by biskit, 9:42 PM 11/18/2002]</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea, that would have been way more accurate if you dyno'd the "right" way hehe..lay into the throttle gently but firmly

mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $40 DIY Dyno, can it work?