Notices

$300 supercharger setup?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $300 supercharger setup?

http://www.rx7club.com/showthr...ber=1

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I dont have much time right now but ill give you a short overview.
Well i didnt really want to spend $3800 on atkin's efi supercharging kit and i didnt really feel like swaping in a turbo engine in considering my engine runs very strong. Plus everybody has a turbocharged rotary, not many have a supercharged one. I figured that i could try and supercharge it as a project and if it didnt work out or if the engine died i could put a low compression engine in.
I bought an eaton m90 off of ebay for $150, that is very nice and tight, $50 for a machined v-belt pulley for the supercharger, $40 for all the piping, and $50 for a bypass valve and a blowoff valve, My total expence for this entire project was $290 . The bracket i fabbed is very very strong and very impressive, the bracket is welded to the engine mounting pad. It is as one with the engine in its movements. I piped the s/c just like a turbo, with a bypass valve and a blow off valve, in line between the s/c and the throttle body.
I tried to calculate the pulley size i would need to have 6psi and it was 3.5". I ended up with 7-8psi, and the supercharger is only running at 70% of its full capacity.
Lets put it this way i have 6psi by 1500 rpm. I didnt really have to worry about predetination because i have a safc, I havnt felt or heard one ping and i am running 89octane, and i only have the fuel truned up slightly.
It is now a frieking beast off the line, and pulls like hell compared to n/a. Here are some pics of everthing as of two weeks ago, I dont have any of the finished product. Ill get some pics of it all done on here tomorrow. Let me know what you all think</TD></TR></TABLE>

basically its a m90 with a custom bracket piped like a turbo. excess air is recycled into the intake, and since that couldn't handle all the pressure, there is an extra BOV attached.

just wondering if this is at all possible to pull off on a honda.

Modified by jbell at 3:44 AM 4/22/2004
Old 04-21-2004, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $300 supercharger setup? (jbell)

pics...

Old 04-21-2004, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats ausome
Old 04-21-2004, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that's pretty sick!
Old 04-21-2004, 07:02 PM
I'm a Jackass

nice... I would lik eto know too
Old 04-21-2004, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $300 supercharger setup? (Slimm-rw-)

i've heard that M90's spin the wrong direction for hondas. the M45 and M60 are geared specifically for hondas. so unless you could put it on the other side of the belts or something funky, i dont see it working on a honda. very cool and simple concept though
Old 04-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $300 supercharger setup? (keebler65)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by keebler65 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've heard that M90's spin the wrong direction for hondas. the M45 and M60 are geared specifically for hondas. so unless you could put it on the other side of the belts or something funky, i dont see it working on a honda. very cool and simple concept though </TD></TR></TABLE>

Anyone know for sure because I could easily fab up the brackets to mount it around where the air conditioning condensor would go.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:42 AM

Default Re: $300 supercharger setup? (beta13)

no matter, you could change the way your drive belt spun by adding an extra pulley, cant descirbe it, but all you would need would be another pulley and belt.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $300 supercharger setup? (hybridvteceg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridvteceg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no matter, you could change the way your drive belt spun by adding an extra pulley, cant descirbe it, but all you would need would be another pulley and belt.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think you would have to drive it with gears to get the effect you are describing. If you drive one pully off of the crank it will spin the same directin as the crank, then driving something off the second pully, i.e. the supercharger, it will also spin the same way.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $300 supercharger setup? (racerxadam)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by racerxadam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I think you would have to drive it with gears to get the effect you are describing. If you drive one pully off of the crank it will spin the same directin as the crank, then driving something off the second pully, i.e. the supercharger, it will also spin the same way. </TD></TR></TABLE>

even if you would route the belt on differant sides of the pully for the charger ? it might take more than 2 pulleys though ?????

Old 04-22-2004, 01:16 PM

Default Re: $300 supercharger setup? (Dturbocivic)

thats why i said i couldnt descibe it.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridvteceg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats why i said i couldnt descibe it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok i can picture what you mean....although there are only ribs on one side of the belt (unless they make double-sided belts...)
Old 04-22-2004, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: $300 supercharger setup? (Dturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

even if you would route the belt on differant sides of the pully for the charger ? it might take more than 2 pulleys though ?????

</TD></TR></TABLE>

that would work, if you put the front of the charger pulley facing the front of the crank pulley. here is how it sounded to me what hybridvteceg proposed. Please excuse the crude drawing. Is this what you meant?

Old 04-22-2004, 01:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by keebler65 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ok i can picture what you mean....although there are only ribs on one side of the belt (unless they make double-sided belts...)</TD></TR></TABLE>
they do make double sided ones.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by racerxadam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that would work, if you put the front of the charger pulley facing the front of the crank pulley. here is how it sounded to me what hybridvteceg proposed. Please excuse the crude drawing. Is this what you meant?

</TD></TR></TABLE>
no thats not it at all. those are obviously all uni-directional. theres basically no point to that middle pulley. basically have a dummy pulley(the one labelled "pulley) and an extra pulley on the other side of the belt #2, then connect belt #1 to the extra pulley(which btw is extra wide with a divider in the middle, so its like 2pulleys put together, but they actually make this kind)..
Old 04-22-2004, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridvteceg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
they do make double sided ones.</TD></TR></TABLE>

in that case, here is what my idea was. the only thing is it would take up more space with the extra pullies. please excuse my mspaint work as well

Old 04-22-2004, 01:30 PM

geez ill draw it and email it to someone. please pm me an address.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i'm dumb
Old 04-22-2004, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

One belt does the crank and one idler, the other belt does the charger and the other two idlers?
Old 04-22-2004, 01:52 PM

thats a good idea, but really complicated. racerxadam check your email for my idea
Old 04-22-2004, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We're getting closer, it would be pretty difficult mounting all those pulleys. Does anyone know for sure if the E90 spins in the wrong direction?
Old 04-22-2004, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridvteceg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats a good idea, but really complicated. racerxadam check your email for my idea</TD></TR></TABLE>

here it is
Old 04-22-2004, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by racerxadam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One belt does the crank and one idler, the other belt does the charger and the other two idlers?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont see how thats different from mine other than the fact that it uses more pullies and is more complicated???
Old 04-22-2004, 01:58 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beta13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We're getting closer, it would be pretty difficult mounting all those pulleys. Does anyone know for sure if the E90 spins in the wrong direction?</TD></TR></TABLE>

who cares, all this 'paint' rendering is funn, lol
Old 04-22-2004, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beta13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does anyone know for sure if the E90 spins in the wrong direction?</TD></TR></TABLE>

that would be rather funny if it didn't and we went through all this for nothing. Fun to think about non the less. What if you just ran it backwards? You are making plates with adapters to go to charge piping anyway, I would imagine it is more efficient one way vs. the other though.

Quick Reply: $300 supercharger setup?