Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Trying to decide between S300, Neptune, eCtune

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trying to decide between S300, Neptune, eCtune

I have experience with all three, but most not so good. Ive had 0 issues with S300, but i dont really wanna spend the money. I have a Demon all ready to go but scared to spend the money on Neptune cause it didnt work for me last time and had nothing but issues, ended up just selling it and going back to crome. And ive tuned a couple cars on eCtune, but i hate that every time ive had connection issues and to make changes while tuning, i had to turn the datalogging off, make the changes, and then go turn it back on. And a a couple people i know have used eCtune but had to wait for extreme periods of time to get the license. Such a PITA! I would use Crome but i need the BBG. So id like to get some feedback. I know there are tons of threads but most people have used 1 or 2. Id like to hear from people who have tuned with all 3 and what they like and dislike with the systems. Thank you.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Trying to decide between S300, Neptune, eCtune

There are countless threads concerning this issue.

If you want to ask some one who has used both, give me a ring 1-888-236-9831 x1 I will be happy to answer any questions you may have about making a purchase for either one.

Last edited by mtber; 02-03-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I appreciate the time. Ill give ya ring. And i know there are threads. But i couldnt find one asking what im asking. Every thread i came across was someone saying they use eCtune and love it, or Neptune and love it. Not ive used all 3 three and like X cause of these reasons over the others. If i have to ill buy S300. But damn, its expensive when i already have a demon.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by a1320honda
I appreciate the time. Ill give ya ring. And i know there are threads. But i couldnt find one asking what im asking. Every thread i came across was someone saying they use eCtune and love it, or Neptune and love it. Not ive used all 3 three and like X cause of these reasons over the others. If i have to ill buy S300. But damn, its expensive when i already have a demon.
I don't understand how you were having problems with neptune.
I have never heard or seen of any issues with it.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ive been using neptune in my cars for about 6 years only had one issue and it was resolved within 24 hours with a new update. I've never used ectune but use crome often with moderate sucess. The feature that s300 has that I wish neptune did is the lean protection.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mtber
I don't understand how you were having problems with neptune.
I have never heard or seen of any issues with it.
It was a while back, but no matter what map i used or how many times i started with a new map, it would always run like ****, no control with the IACV, always a CEL for ELD. I would disable it and would still have a code. No matter what changes i made to anything in the map it would run PIG RICH. Tried the Demon in 2 different ecus, same issues. Tried 2 different laptops, same issues. Couldnt hardly even get the car to idle after 2 days of dealing with it. I tried emailing a couple times with no response. Because i bought the setup used i couldnt get any warranty info on the demon. Was honestly just a nightmare the whole time. Bought a Gizzmo boost controller for $100 and put the car on Crome and had no issues. But i dont want to rely on an outside boost controller. Ive heard nothing but good things about the costomer service of Neptune, but somehow i slipped through the cracks or if it was cause i bought the setup used...i dont know. Just didnt have good luck in any way shape or form with Neptune last time.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:17 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe bad demon inside

you can always send it in to get fixed. who did you try for your warranty? why not ask for money back. sounds like its a hardware issue. like you said yourself you tried everything else except replacing the demon itsself.

i have neptune. and although i miss the crome autotune since im a noob, neptune has alot more options and it actually has a real person behind the software not a ghost.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:21 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

local you guys having that efi university class there. at KS
Old 02-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by raverx3m
maybe bad demon inside

you can always send it in to get fixed. who did you try for your warranty? why not ask for money back. sounds like its a hardware issue. like you said yourself you tried everything else except replacing the demon itsself.

i have neptune. and although i miss the crome autotune since im a noob, neptune has alot more options and it actually has a real person behind the software not a ghost.
I dont have it anymore as this was 3 years ago. Got rid of it. I tried dealing with Moates directly. Very unwilling to help so i tried Xenocron and they basically told me no one would accept it back since i wasnt the original buyer and couldnt provide proof of purchase. Basically got told by everyone my only option was a new Demon. Or Moates said i could pay to send it in and they would charge me to look at it with no guarantees of fixing it. Im very aware that it may not have been a Neptune issue. But its just what i have to go off of.

Anyways...i appreciate everyone trying to trouble shoot my Neptune problem from 3 years ago, and im not trying to come off like a dick, i do appreciate the help, just looking for opinions on who likes which form of management better and why. Pretty turned off on the eCtune just cause like i said, you have to turn the datalogging off to make changes and then it was taking what i consider a long time to upload big changes to the ECU. Crome does a far better job in that respect lol. If Crome had working BBG id be all over it lol. And i love Hondata, ive used it a lot, but for me right now, $495 is a lot when i already have a demon.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:20 PM

It was a while back, but no matter what map i used or how many times i started with a new map, it would always run like ****, no control with the IACV, always a CEL for ELD. I would disable it and would still have a code. No matter what changes i made to anything in the map it would run PIG RICH. Tried the Demon in 2 different ecus, same issues. Tried 2 different laptops, same issues. Couldnt hardly even get the car to idle after 2 days of dealing with it. I tried emailing a couple times with no response. Because i bought the setup used i couldnt get any warranty info on the demon. Was honestly just a nightmare the whole time. Bought a Gizzmo boost controller for $100 and put the car on Crome and had no issues. But i dont want to rely on an outside boost controller. Ive heard nothing but good things about the costomer service of Neptune, but somehow i slipped through the cracks or if it was cause i bought the setup used...i dont know. Just didnt have good luck in any way shape or form with Neptune last time.
Those problems were likely not neptune related, but its impossible for me to speculate without seeing the issues you had in person etc.
You really should have contacted JR for assistance with neptune, HRtuning has good customer service :-)

Anyhow, feel free to contact me if you want questions answered.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a similar problem when i first got my demon and neptune setup, but after resetting the demon a few times it fixed the problem and now I love it, so my vote is neptune
Old 02-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mtber
Those problems were likely not neptune related, but its impossible for me to speculate without seeing the issues you had in person etc.
You really should have contacted JR for assistance with neptune, HRtuning has good customer service :-)

Anyhow, feel free to contact me if you want questions answered.
Thank you...i appreciate your time. And i did email JR twice and had never received a response back. He found out the problem i was having through another thread i posted in and i even sent him the screen shots of sent emails, but somehow he never received them. By then it was too late.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SR20S13
i had a similar problem when i first got my demon and neptune setup, but after resetting the demon a few times it fixed the problem and now I love it, so my vote is neptune
Have you also tuned with S300, eCtune and Crome?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i personally prefer ondata interface lol because it looks like windows 95 its more of nostalgia i guess. contrast is easier on my eyes.but as far as features hondata and neptune are very close. and neptune is cheaper
and i like moates products i had nothing but great stuff from moates. but with thousands of items sold you cant have a 100$ sucess rate. kinda like shopping on ebay. i bought many items from a store tell it to a friend and he has a bad experience with them and tells me wtf why you send me to that store...
Old 02-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was not expecting it but direct serial logging would up being a dealmaker for me. If you have Innovate gauges you can direct log off the gauge into Neptune. No voltage offset to worry about means your logged AFR is dead accurate (at least if your gauge is good).
Old 02-03-2013, 10:48 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

thatswhat that means? lol damn ive been trying to calibrate this thing for days..

i got mtx-l gauge. what if they are daisy chained
Old 02-04-2013, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you...i appreciate your time. And i did email JR twice and had never received a response back. He found out the problem i was having through another thread i posted in and i even sent him the screen shots of sent emails, but somehow he never received them. By then it was too late.
For me to not respond it must have never showed up. I do remember finding a thread you mentioned and I think you had sold it off.

Anyway if you do end up picking NepTune up again make sure to get in touch. I'll make sure you're setup properly.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Neptune.

I've tuned all 3, i've ran all 3 on my own car.

I still tune all 3, I switched from eCtune to Neptune due to the fact customer service for eCtune was limited. James helps and answers my phone calls whenever i need it..not to mention its always going to be supported and advanced.

I've also ran crome, there are just better programs out..thats all.

Hondata..is fine too, but its all in perfernce, go with what your tuner wants.. in all honestly, Neptune, eCtune, Hondata are all good programs.. but if you have to choose, choose based upon the arthur going above and beyond for his customers.. I choose neptune.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

S300
Old 02-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My only real complaint with eCtune personally is the upload speed of big changes, and the fact you had to turn off the datalogging to make changes, then turn it back on. Is Neptune the same at all? How quick are big changes made, can you make changes in real time datalogging without turning it off? Are there any little quarks like that in the software?
Old 02-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can make changes in Neptune while datalogging. And not just on maps, but also on "parameters" like temperature trims, rpm crossovers, etc. Not sure if you can change settings like sensor calibrations while logging tho...

Neptune is pretty snappy, too. Not much lag.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been using NepTune for a very long time now and would suggest giving that another shot since you already have the demon.

I have tuned with just about every honda rom editor under the sun and the only two I would recommend would be S300 or NepTune.. but since you already have the Demon it is a no brainer!

If you need any help getting it setup, try posting on the hrtuning forum as well as on here. I also frequent that forum and try to give support when james isn't around (which is very very rare!)

Check the hrtuning video tutorials as well for help getting the software/hardware setup properly!

(EDIT: You shouldn't have to disable logging to make an update to the demon, that would make things incredibly clunky. The updates to the demon should be seamless even with datalogging enabled!)
Old 02-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Neptune or Hondata both work fine, I personally use neptune. I have nothing bad to say about it, and would recommend it to anyone with no hesitation. The reason I chose Neptune was because of their EXCELLENT customer service, and I have yet to be disappointed!
Old 02-16-2013, 10:20 AM
I'm Huge In Japan

is there an emoticon for stabbing yourself in the eye?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive had 0 issues with S300, but i dont really wanna spend the money
Go with the answer you already know. I have used Hondata on my own car since 2003 (s200 later upgraded to s300). you really can't go wrong with it. IMHO it's best to buy an engineered product from a professional company vs. the poorly slapped together copycats that never really got it right.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide between S300, Neptune, eCtune