Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Pros and Cons of CROME PRO...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros and Cons of CROME PRO...

I've recently discovered the price of crome pro....$149!!!!! Also read a rather old thread (2006) and heard pretty decent things about it in comparison to neptune and hondata s300 at the time. Now theres RTP and Hondata s300 v.2. So I would like a more up to date comparison of the 3. Thanks.

*Tuners please chime in*
Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: Pros and Cons of CROME PRO...

Here is a thread that was started in 2012

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...ight=Crome+Pro

To be honest there have really been no updates to Crome Pro since 2006. Every other piece of tuning software have moved up and continue to advance. While Crome pro sits idle. There is Crome Gold. But not the same as Crome Pro. eCtune seems to be kind of dropping, However it works good so why the need for updates? Don't get me wrong I have tuned with Crome and it works, the newer stuff out there just has more functionality and easier to tune with.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pro:

crome pro

con:

crome pro
Old 04-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
Here is a thread that was started in 2012

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...ight=Crome+Pro

To be honest there have really been no updates to Crome Pro since 2006. Every other piece of tuning software have moved up and continue to advance. While Crome pro sits idle. There is Crome Gold. But not the same as Crome Pro. eCtune seems to be kind of dropping, However it works good so why the need for updates? Don't get me wrong I have tuned with Crome and it works, the newer stuff out there just has more functionality and easier to tune with.
So can my car be reliable with crome? Is it good enough for a stock block f22a t3/t4 50 trim street turbo setup? Or am I better off saving up for a s300?
Old 04-04-2012, 06:06 PM

The best advice I can offer to you is to talk to whomever is going to be tuning your car and use what they prefer. This will ultimately make the biggest difference in the outcome, tuning time, and ultimately cost of your tune.

My opinion on the best OBD1 platforms are in this order:

Neptune RTP/Demon combo (most advanced, rock solid performance, and beyond amazing customer and product support)

Hondata S300 v2 (works excellent, very well known so almost any tuner can tune with it efficiently, mediocre customer support but if purchased through an experienced dealer you shouldn't have any troubles)

ECtune (more advanced than Crome Pro, but mediocre product support from our experiences - we do not offer this system)

Crome Pro (works well IF YOU KNOW HOW TO GET AROUND THE SOFTWARE PROBLEMS, its inexpensive for customers who have a tuner tune their car with this due to minimal hardware needed)

Last edited by HAMOTORSPORTS; 04-05-2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HAMOTORSPORTS
The best advice I can offer to you is to talk to whomever is going to be tuning your car and use what they prefer. This will ultimately make the biggest difference in the outcome, tuning time, and ultimately cost of your tune.

Neptune RTP/Demon combo (most advanced, rock solid performance, and beyond amazing customer and product support)

Hondata S300 v2 (works excellent, very well known so almost any tuner can tune with it efficiently, mediocre customer support but if purchased through an experienced dealer you shouldn't have any troubles)

ECtune (more advanced than Crome Pro, but mediocre product support from our experiences - we do not offer this system)

Crome Pro (works well IF YOU KNOW HOW TO GET AROUND THE SOFTWARE PROBLEMS, its inexpensive for customers who have a tuner tune with their car with this due to minimal hardware needed)
Yea thats true. Now I just need to find a reputable tuner in my area. So far the only one I know of according to the directory is turbogixxer. So I guess its Neptune or Hondata s300
Old 04-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Neptune
Old 04-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sometimes when I tune on crome pro I try to add fuel on the VTEC map and the car never takes the changes. It's a very annoying bug if I am tuning someone else's car.

if you are going to spend 150 on crome pro, obviously you need an emulator to take advantages of the options that pro offers....so just buy a neptune rtp unit and enjoy having a good solid system with great customer service
Old 04-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pro works fine for us tuners who know what they re doing and have experience to know when something isnt right. But for the novice whom has no tuning hardware and skillset, s300 will be your easy gig.

My .02
Old 01-12-2014, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

crome pros software isnt even close to par with s300 or neptune as far as user ease and features. the s300 has a few options neptune doesnt and vise versa. i prefer neptune mainly because its 300 less and better support rock solid software, and its got all the options i need. only reasons to go to s300 is if you want the traction control for1000$ you can get lsd 600 not the same but depending on your goals 2nd reason would be for coil on plug retrofit which i think is 600$ that being said if your power goal is less than 500 hp neptune rtp is the best option in my opinion
Old 01-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HAMOTORSPORTS

Crome Pro (works well IF YOU KNOW HOW TO GET AROUND THE SOFTWARE PROBLEMS, its inexpensive for customers who have a tuner tune their car with this due to minimal hardware needed)
this is spot on my opinion as well, except I personally think s300 is #1 over Neptune, by a hair.

the biggest difference between all the systems though as seen by the customer is the price. hardware-wise, if the customer is paying a professional tuner to tune the car, crome is by far the absolute cheapest because the customer simply needs a chipped ecu and nothing else. whereas the other systems require the customer to buy additional hardware.
if the owner(customer) is tuning themselves, s300 is really the only feasible option, because buying all the hardware to tune with crome will end up costing almost the same, and crome is a total pita to people that are new to it.

I run crome in my own boosted car btw. and I'm a hondata dealer. my car is nothing out of this world, so crome works perfectly fine for my personal setup and what I use it for, at least for now. as soon as I go bigger though, s300 will be the first upgrade.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:59 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Even though this thread was pointlessly resurrected and is 2 years old, I will bite.

One of the biggest advantages to Hondata is if you have a problem you can datalog and e-mail the log and BIN file to somebody if you are in a bind. That as well as if you have an issue and don't have your tuning PC but have a random one, all you do is download SManager and get working. CROME is locked to that PC and Neptune is well, is forced licensing as well. All things considered for a Honda based EMS the S300 is the way to go.

My friends e-mail me small issues here and there or just a random datalog to see how their car is doing. It is a sweet deal if you have somebody that is willing to help out. My vote is S300, Neptune, eCtune, CROME.

I have CROME Dealer and S300 V2 units. I have only tuned 1 unit with Neptune. I personally like CROMEs GUI better than any of them. If only they could merge CROMEs GUI with Hondatas functionality haha. Then again Hondata does have glitches here and there which pisses you off for the price.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
I personally like CROMEs GUI better than any of them. If only they could merge CROMEs GUI with Hondatas functionality haha. Then again Hondata does have glitches here and there which pisses you off for the price.
x2 to that, specifically the 3d map view not charting correctly, and the compensation values not always allowing changes to the scaling
Old 01-13-2014, 10:54 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Bingo! I can't believe it hasn't been fixed as much as it is used... they ARE HONDAta after all. Maybe they just don't give a crap anymore because all of the newer stuff. That's it, I am sending a feet stomping e-mail right now. That will get something done - NOT.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

One of the biggest advantages to Hondata is if you have a problem you can datalog and e-mail the log and BIN file to somebody if you are in a bind. That as well as if you have an issue and don't have your tuning PC but have a random one, all you do is download SManager and get working. CROME is locked to that PC and Neptune is well, is forced licensing as well. All things considered for a Honda based EMS the S300 is the way to go.
Ya. NepTune can run on any PC, and as many PCs as you want. There's no locking or force licensing for the PC software to run. You can open files/playback datalogs without ever having registered a unit.

In order to tune you verify that you actually have a license for the NepTune RTP software for tuning by going through the verification process one time when you connect to the hardware. That can happen on multiple PCs as well. Hardware from one company, software from another... has to happen like that.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:03 PM
I'm Huge In Japan

Originally Posted by Universal Magnetic
pro:

crome pro

con:

crome pro
LMFAO
Dude, just grow a pair and get Neptune. I have a feeling Crome is going to be abandoned shortly anyway, and if you're already asking questions about it without reading the last decade of forums... Do us all a favor and get Neptune.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:30 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

So with NepTune once the hardware is activated via a license it is activated forever on that hardware? Or once you purchase a license you can tune as many NepTune RTPs as you want?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I guess I didn't care enough at the time to learn how it all worked licensing wise. As I am sure you are well aware, with Hondata as long as you have the board you are good to go (although they are trying to push some ghetto type of registration process).
Old 01-14-2014, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So with NepTune once the hardware is activated via a license it is activated forever on that hardware? Or once you purchase a license you can tune as many NepTune RTPs as you want?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I guess I didn't care enough at the time to learn how it all worked licensing wise. As I am sure you are well aware, with Hondata as long as you have the board you are good to go (although they are trying to push some ghetto type of registration process).
A NepTune RTP license is registered to the hardware. You can have as many PCs talk to it as you want, you just need to register it the first time you connect by clicking "Yes" while on the internet to activate it. Our server verifies the hardware has not been reported stolen and is actually a NepTune RTP, then you're good to go forever with that unit and PC.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:45 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Oh I see. Thanks for the clarification on that. So you can report it stolen and it will disable use when somebody else uses a different PC to connect to it? If so that is actually a really cool feature. I do know that NepTune's theft deterrence start up features are MUCH more functional than Hondata. Hmm, I will be in the market for another EMS soon for a build for my brother, I may just give NepTune a try. (After more research of course. )
Old 01-14-2014, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No problem. Definitely a good thing for our customers. There have been an unfortunate few who have had to activate the disable since this won't prevent a thief from taking the ECU.

BUT, the Anti-Theft features are pretty sweet and I've received numerous emails from happy customers regarding how it prevented a thief from making off with the vehicle. Pretty awesome to hear that.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:20 PM
I'm Huge In Japan

Originally Posted by HRTuning
There have been an unfortunate few who have had to activate the disable since this won't prevent a thief from taking the ECU.
A few rivets into the chassis takes care of that problem
Old 01-17-2014, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i use crome gold a lot and it does the job perfect on N/A cars i dont see any cons here but on F/I cars def hondata/neptune even though ive tuned some stock turbo setups on crome gold with no issues.

crome gold is really nice has some really nice features and if customers are on a budget is just perfect. ive tuned the same car on Gold and S300 same day and manage to get the same numbers it was on a bolt on NA car nothing fancy but you get the idea.

if you dont have a nasty setup crome is nice. if you are not a DIYer get hondata or neptune you will love either its so simple.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:05 AM
No Jodas

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have Hondata S300 and it does everything I need it to. It wasn't too harshly priced, it's easily sourced, and a wide variety of tuners can work with it. In my area Neptune is very limited in terms of ability around here (or at least from what I think, it's never advertised...)

But yeah, do what that guy up there said. Buy the one that is easy for you and your tuner to use. It's all apples and oranges from there.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What are the options if you own Chrome Pro & Gold...but upgrading to windows 7 and cannot activate. We are stuck. . .and Jon Cui is MIA. . .and has been for a while lol
Old 01-17-2014, 11:41 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Don't update your PC? You should have a dedicated tuning PC that has all update features turned off and isn't connected to the Internet until tuning software updates or verification is needed in my opinion. It's not worth having to repay for licenses and such.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of CROME PRO...