Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Looking for Skunk2 4 bar voltage table.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Looking for Skunk2 4 bar voltage table.

Looking for Skunk2 4bar voltage table.

My car is only boosting 4.5 PSI. It was boosting 15 PSI. It has a P06 ECU that is chipped and I can not read values of the map sensor using the ECU. It has a Skunk2 4bar sensor. I want to scope the signal and see what is the voltage at 4.5 psi. The idle and cruising wideband values are too lean at operating temperature (16.0) maybe itís related. Under load wideband goes rich (9.8 to 10.3)

Stock B18c GSR with APR head studs and Skunk2 type R like manifold. 1,200 injectors running E85

Alreaady checked for leaks and nothing. BOV and Wastegate are good. 3 port boost solenoid clicking and working. I replaced turbo because it had some play but the only difference I noticed is that it boosts sooner than the older one did.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking for Skunk2 4 bar voltage table.

why can't you log through the ecu? Is it just because you don't have the Hulog datalog cable? You can and should buy it, it's only $35 from moates.net
Or you can buy the bluetooth module and log through your phone using Tunerview app
Old 02-25-2019, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
why can't you log through the ecu? Is it just because you don't have the Hulog datalog cable? You can and should buy it, it's only $35 from moates.net
Or you can buy the bluetooth module and log through your phone using Tunerview app

I donít think so. It has a chipped ECU NOT a Hondata. Thereís no USB to connect to
Old 02-25-2019, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 02-25-2019, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Iím getting

signal voltage = 1.20 volts key ON
signal voltage = 0.33 volts at idle
signal voltage = 1.45 volts at 4.5 PSI
voltage supply = 5.02 volts key ON

Well, something tells me that the map sensor is not the problem. -.-
Old 02-25-2019, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ngv1515 View Post

I donít think so. It has a chipped ECU NOT a Hondata. Thereís no USB to connect to
re-read what I said above. You can. You just need the proper cable (hulog) or bluetooth module. How do you think the tuner logs the ecu to be able to tune it? It plugs into the CN2 port a little to the left of the chip
Old 02-25-2019, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you didn't change the tune, the voltages represent differing values, and thus, the window will be compressed with the broader sensor. Both the stock MAP sensor and the Skunk2 4-BAR MAP sensor read .01 volts at 29.4" of vacuum... yet the stock MAP sensor reads about 11psi at 5.00 volts whereas the Skunk2 reads 44.1psi at 5.00 volts.

You MUST change the MAP sensor type in the tune.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 View Post
If you didn't change the tune, the voltages represent differing values, and thus, the window will be compressed with the broader sensor. Both the stock MAP sensor and the Skunk2 4-BAR MAP sensor read .01 volts at 29.4" of vacuum... yet the stock MAP sensor reads about 11psi at 5.00 volts whereas the Skunk2 reads 44.1psi at 5.00 volts.

You MUST change the MAP sensor type in the tune.
I believe he's saying that the car used to run 15psi according to his boost gauge, but now it only hits ~4.5psi according to his boost gauge, and has afr and power issues. All without ever knowing what the map sensor is reading, and wants to see if the map sensor correlates properly with the boost gauge to determine if it's a tune issue or a mechanical issue
Old 02-26-2019, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe he's saying that the car used to run 15psi according to his boost gauge, but now it only hits ~4.5psi according to his boost gauge, and has afr and power issues. All without ever knowing what the map sensor is reading, and wants to see if the map sensor correlates properly with the boost gauge to determine if it's a tune issue or a mechanical issue

you are correct! I recently got the car and the reson I got it for a good price is because the car had A LOT OF ISSUES. It wasnít boosting AT ALL. It was undriveable. Previous owner used to drag race the car and was running high 11s at 1/4 mile. Then the car sat for about 2 years after it stopped boosting. A lot of mechanics tried to fix it but I think they made it worse. So far I fixed;

- wideband was dead > wiring and calibrating issues.
- BOV leaked badly > replaced
- vacuum leaks > fixed
- 3 way boost controller hoses unplugged > routed again
- Turbo has play > replaced
- engine harness plug pins at ECU worn and loose > te wired all of them to OBD1
- blocked fuel filter > replaced
- never got to operating temperature > replaced thermostat.
- bad battery terminals and bad grounds > replaced and made new grounds
- starter died > replaced
- shifter very loose and couldnít find gears > replaced bushings and unbend shaft

The list is just the engine related stuff, I may be forgetting some things I did. After all
of that, car boosts at 4.5 PSI. Maybe I missed a leak somewhere because it runs lean when cruising and at idle when it warms up. Wideband shows 16.0
Old 02-26-2019, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you taken the wastegate apart to see what spring is in it?
Do a boost pressure test?
Have a tuner scan the chip and see if the tune is bad?
Maybe the boost control is disabled in the tune?
Old 02-27-2019, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

have you taken the wastegate apart to see what spring is in it?
Do a boost pressure test?
Have a tuner scan the chip and see if the tune is bad?
Maybe the boost control is disabled in the tune?

I did, it has a 9 psi spring, when the car is running I apply pressure to the lower fitting and the wastegate cracks open at 8 PSI. It has a hood dump pipe so I can see it when it opens. One thing I didnít do though is remove the wastegate off the manifold to inspect it underneath. I just took it apart on the car. I will remove it tonight.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ngv1515 View Post

I did, it has a 9 psi spring, when the car is running I apply pressure to the lower fitting and the wastegate cracks open at 8 PSI. It has a hood dump pipe so I can see it when it opens. One thing I didn’t do though is remove the wastegate off the manifold to inspect it underneath. I just took it apart on the car. I will remove it tonight.
Thats not how you check wg spring pressure. The wastegate works off the combination of exhaust backpressure pushing on the bottom of the valve, and boost pressure in the lower port. If the wg opened at 8psi with a pressure pump, that means it has a 4-4.5psi spring in it. The spring is rated at an average of these two pressures. meaning if the spring is rated at 8psi, for it to open it needs 8psi in the exhaust and 8psi at bottom port, or 6psi in exhaust and 10psi in bottom port, or 0 psi in exhaust and 16psi in bottom port.

Which means this is the entire reason you're only getting 4.5psi; it has a 4-4.5 psi spring installed. If you want to know for sure what spring is installed, you need to remove the spring, look at the color, and look up what rating that color is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: