Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Hondata S200 WARNING

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 05:50 PM
I'm Huge In Japan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hondata S200 WARNING

This product was discontinued in 2008 and is 100% OBSOLETE. For more information, see http://hondata.com/s200.html

Do not buy a Hondata S200 from anyone, even if they appear to be a reputable source.

There are very few tuners who have access to the software that are capable of accessing the S200.
Even if you find a tuner that supports the S200, many of units I've seen are broken.
If you're attempting to tune this yourself, you will have to purchase special hardware and licensing from Hondata (see link above).

I would also advise against buying an S300 V1, as I can personally testify to many of them failing in a short period of time, and have seen an alarming amount of counterfeits.
The S300 V2 and V3 are popular, well supported options.

Alternatively (and arguably more popular) is the Neptune/Demon package, which has the same features and is a bit less expensive. Neptune dealers offer a chipped option also, which you can find here http://www.hrtuning.com/pages/category/dealers

If you're unable to afford those options, some tuners still support ECTune and Crome, or you can purchase their licenses at xenocron.com, moates.net or phearable.net for self-tuning.
Don't start a thread about which one is better, it will be deleted.
There is a free manual in my signature for your benefit.

*if you are a tuner with RE4 permissions, feel free to post here so those who are stuck with an S200 have somewhere to go.

Last edited by VegasInvasion; 09-27-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Hondata S200 WARNING

I actively tune Hondata s100 and s200 systems using RomEditor4 software and licensing. I am one of the oldest Hondata dealers here in the US. I am located in the South East... all willing to travel will be taken care of.

Motorvations Motorsports
(205) 661-3600
Old 09-03-2014, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am also licensed to tune in Puerto Rico using RE4 and have a "special" USB cable. Additionally, I have an S300 V1 board in my personal car going on 7 years without issue.

Last edited by 7rrivera7; 09-14-2014 at 03:31 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:57 PM

+1 on buying used electronics/hardware being a bad idea.

I have yet to see bad s100/s200 units or any of them fail. I am sure it is possible & will happen eventually as the hardware is very old.

Romeditor v4 with the dongle could be purchased by anyone including dealers or the public for use with an s200 system for tuning s200/s100 platforms.

Phearable.net still keeps the proper hardware to tune s100/s200 systems with romeditor v4 as we are an authorized dealer & have been for a very long time :-)
Old 09-14-2014, 01:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VegasInvasion
Neptune dealers offer a chipped option also, which you can find here HRTuning - Home Of The NepTune RTP and TunerView
Yeah but for everyone else just watch what you say when you ask about this option regardless of the price or if you can and want to pay the royalties for this option.

I made the mistake of questioning how to purchase Neptune with this capability and had the door quickly slammed in my face under the presumption of misuse simply because I don't make a living from tuning Obd1 Honda's (which I'm not saying anything bad to those here that do which my hat goes off to).

Correspondence with Neptune Sales (the owner of HRTuning) was pretty judgmental and discrediting, but overall unprofessional I felt regardless of an exceptional product that many here know.

Not trying to spark anything here, just know that this option is only for "recognized" tuners, anyone less has to use a Demon RTP with a single user license, etc, etc...
Old 09-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not for recognized tuners only... We have plenty of up and comers as dealers that don't have shop space or a dyno of their own... you're simply in an area (FL) where we're not accepting any dealers at this time and beyond that I get so many dealer inquiries that aren't the least bit professional. No signature, no name mentioned, no experience mentioned, no location mentioned, words misspelled or abbreviated like teenagers. If your first email to us isn't completely professional you've already started yourself at a deficit. Getting information from some of these "professionals" is like pulling teeth. That has nothing to do with me. I can't tell who you are by your username here, but that is what I deal with daily.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HRTuning
It's not for recognized tuners only... We have plenty of up and comers as dealers that don't have shop space or a dyno of their own... you're simply in an area (FL) where we're not accepting any dealers at this time and beyond that I get so many dealer inquiries that aren't the least bit professional. No signature, no name mentioned, no experience mentioned, no location mentioned, words misspelled or abbreviated like teenagers. If your first email to us isn't completely professional you've already started yourself at a deficit. Getting information from some of these "professionals" is like pulling teeth. That has nothing to do with me. I can't tell who you are by your username here, but that is what I deal with daily.
I'll PM you about this....
Old 09-15-2014, 09:46 PM
I'm Huge In Japan

I did not imply that anyone qualifies to be a dealer, but that you likely have a dealer in your area to tune your car, hence the link.

Brands have the right to protect their image, and a right to be strict; it's a privilege to be a dealer, not an entitlement.

Unless you're willing to drop a few grand and break even after 10+ cars, commercial licensing isn't economically feasible for one weekend warrior anyway.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by VegasInvasion
I did not imply that anyone qualifies to be a dealer, but that you likely have a dealer in your area to tune your car, hence the link.

Brands have the right to protect their image, and a right to be strict; it's a privilege to be a dealer, not an entitlement.

Unless you're willing to drop a few grand and break even after 10+ cars, commercial licensing isn't economically feasible for one weekend warrior anyway.
No I understand that VI, and sorry for posting that, but thought at the time posted that it needed to be mentioned.....theirs more to it in this case between James and I but we talked it out away from this thread and everything's fine...
Old 09-19-2014, 02:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This thread is just full of misleading and false claims from the start. It should really be closed or deleted.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:08 PM
I'm Huge In Japan

Natural Aspirations, are you just trolling or are you going to post some relevant information? If you have some viable input to negate this topic, I'll modify it.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe your original post has been proven to be false on many points, I'm not sure the intent of your scare tatics but others have sown that they are inaccurate.
There ARE tuners who can tune s200.
Plenty of S300 V1's still in use and working well.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:29 PM
I'm Huge In Japan

Read my post again.
I said there are very FEW tuners with access, and asked them to post if they still support it.
The S200 is obsolete.
People should not purchase an S200.
People will not be able to tune it themselves unless they purchase special hardware and licensing from Hondata.
Why would I bother making this thread unless it was an issue?
I know there are working S300 V1's, the purpose of this thread is to advise against purchasing one because they have a high rate of failure and counterfeit.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:39 AM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually what you said was buy Neptune instead of Hondata.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We also tune the 200/100 using R.E.4, I bought one of the very first S-300V1 and still going strong in my personal car. The only V1 failure recorded here resulted from a reversed polarity at the car battery. Adams Automotive Crestview Florida 850 683 3966.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:28 PM
I'm Huge In Japan

Originally Posted by Dee
Actually what you said was buy Neptune instead of Hondata.
Actually I gave a list of all current tuning options, including Hondata.
And you've basically said nothing. Next time you're in a troll mood head on over to facebook instead.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Anybody want to buy my S200?

It's useless to me after hondata refused to activate my romeditor3 license. And I could swear it was even before the cutoff date they have posted on their website that they refused to activate my software.

Told me basically, go F yourself and buy our cable (that' technically no different that yours except we have our own serial embedded into it)...

But ya,

It should still work fine. Been boxed up for over 6 years. If someone can use it, I'd rather it go to them than into a landfill...

Let me know if interested.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by theYBLEGAL
Anybody want to buy my S200?

It's useless to me after hondata refused to activate my romeditor3 license. And I could swear it was even before the cutoff date they have posted on their website that they refused to activate my software.

Told me basically, go F yourself and buy our cable (that' technically no different that yours except we have our own serial embedded into it)...

But ya,

It should still work fine. Been boxed up for over 6 years. If someone can use it, I'd rather it go to them than into a landfill...

Let me know if interested.
how much?
Old 12-23-2014, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Cecilio Larios
how much?
$50? Covers shipping too.

?
Old 12-24-2014, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

$50? Covers shipping too.

?
ok and it comes with everything right
Old 12-26-2014, 05:38 PM
I'm Huge In Japan

It doesn't come with a license for RE4, obviously. Unless you have a tuner that supports it, you're doing exactly what I just warned everyone about.

...noobs.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Cecilio Larios
ok and it comes with everything right
You get the S200 box, and the installation disc for RE3, albeit no ability to activate it, and being obsolete, useless.

Basically, I have an S200 box if somebody's box dies, and they want to continue to use the tune/burned chip they've been using. Otherwise my box is useless. But, I keep it just incase that poor soul is out there....
Old 12-29-2014, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also still tune Hondata S100/S200 systems via Romulator and Emulator as well. I've had no issues with any failing in 12+ years of tuning the systems. There are very few people out there and it is a pain in the butt compared to the new systems, but people get them for super cheap and they have made good power so the requests still come in.

JK
Old 12-31-2014, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Blown90hatcH
I also still tune Hondata S100/S200 systems via Romulator and Emulator as well. I've had no issues with any failing in 12+ years of tuning the systems. There are very few people out there and it is a pain in the butt compared to the new systems, but people get them for super cheap and they have made good power so the requests still come in.

JK
If ever my box is needed for any reason, drop me a line... YBLEGAL at YBLEGAL dot net, real imaginative email..
Old 01-16-2015, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If ever my box is needed for any reason, drop me a line... YBLEGAL at YBLEGAL dot net, real imaginative email..
Why is he not banned for advertising? larios2281 was for advertising this guy should be too

Quick Reply: Hondata S200 WARNING