Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

D16y7 Warm Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 03:53 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16y7 Warm Start Problem

Im new here, my 96 dx sedan 5 speed originally had a D16y7 that had 317k miles and burnt oil and also stalled, story short, i swapped it with another y7 i bought off the street. That said, it had a y8 manifold so i took it off and put my y7 manifold on because i didnt want to extend my tps and map semsors for that y8 intake. Car also came with aftermarket headers so i left my y7 open headers with the downpipe. Story short, i noticed my car idle was extremely high after it warmed up on the first start. I checked and my tps bypass valve was still sucking air after the engine was warm. note this never happened when the throttle body and manifold was on my old engine. i got rid of the problem right away by plugging the hole with a rubber plug, after that, i drove it for like 20 min and i loved the car, open headers were nice, engine had suprising power for a single cam. So i parked the car excited, turned it of and told my mom the car was working. So as i went to start it again, probably 5 min after i turned it off, it wouldn't start, fuel pump primes, engine cranks, nothing. Im using my previous distributer because it has a brand new coil pack and spark control module i replaced a year ago so i know im getting spark, as i tested aswell, so i assumed it was a warm start problem. I let the car sit for 30 min and removed the plug for the cold start up and when i went to crank it, BOOM car started fine like nothing happened. Im seriously confused how this can happen, ive been dealing with this for a week now, i have a check engine light but i cant take it to AutoZone because then my car wont start for the test. I also dont know any friend mechanics with a code scanner, i lost my job because my old engone failed on,me so i used most of my money to replace the engine. So i only have 40$ to my name and my mom is broke aswell so i cant buy a scanner nor buy car parts to replace anything and see if my problem persists. Idk what to do honestly as i never came across this problem before. if i wer to mention, my timing belt has a slight tear with a slightly cracked camgear but the car doesnt seam to run weird but ill be replacing that soon. I also could use spark plugs for the car but i dont see how those things can affect warm start up
Old 06-17-2017, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16y7 Warm Start Problem

I am having the same problem. I have a y7 that I did a 5spd swap on and have the y8 intake. First start of the day will be fine, but as soon as it gets to running temperature it will not start again for 45+ mins after turning it off. As soon as it cools down it starts just fine. I have replaced the distributor, and the old one had oil in the cap and I thought that was the problem, did not fix anything. Any ideas?
thanks, Alex
Old 06-23-2017, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try another main relay
Old 06-23-2017, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I figured it out, it was the coolant temp sensor.