Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

CYP Sensor and Ectune

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Swaggylicious

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CYP Sensor and Ectune

This past weekend I converted my oem distributor to run an external ignition box and coil, bypassing the internal ICM and Coil with a bypass box a member makes here.

When all is said and done, the car drives great but threw a cel code 9 which is for the CYP Sensor..The modifications I did, didnt cause the cel, perhaps with me disassembling the dizzy, the CYP sensor may have been moved or something that it's now not making the same connectivity that it once had. Or perhaps since I'm probably getting a higher current the CYP is behaving differently, there is a wire internally in the dizzy that is for the CYP that has a tiny nick that's exposing one of the wires.

Did a bit of digging and the sensor is responsible for detecting the position of cylinder 1 for fuel injector firing.

Again the car behaves normally, I've done a few WOT pulls, stop and go driving,highway cruising,idling. AFR is normal about 11 or so in WOT and around 13 crusing/idling

My MAIN question is....what the hell does this sensor exactly do?

If it detects cylinder 1 for injector firing, wouldn't it be a safe assumption that if I am getting this code then my injectors wouldn't fire correctly and therefore the car would run rough/differently?

But again, the car drives perfectly, zero symptoms that you would expect if your injectors werent firing correctly

My question with Ectune is that I know since my car is originally an OBD2B vehicle, there are some sensors that it has since bypassed such as the CKP sensor,vtec oil sensor and etcetera

Is the CYP sensor one of those sensors that arent in use since im tuned on Ectune?
Old 06-01-2014, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CYP Sensor and Ectune

I believe CYP is used to synchronize TDC, something I wouldn't ignore.

It is possible that the added wiring is causing some EM interference, try twisting and repositioning the external ignition coil/box wires.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

hi, can you post who does this ignition mod or a link to his write-up? Thanks!
Old 06-02-2014, 05:02 AM
Swaggylicious

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a thread in the Forced Induction forum, it's still on the first page. All of the info you will need will be there