Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Converting a L15A VTEC to an aircraft engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting a L15A VTEC to an aircraft engine

Hi All
I am about to embark on removing a 2005 L15A VTEC engine out of a Jazz/Fit and turning it into an aircraft engine.
The engine has about enough hp for my application and is light enough (83 kgs) so ultimately I would like to use the standard ECU.
The engine would have standard intake and exhaust manifolds and all standard sensors but there will be no CVT transmission.
I have to admit I have done a few projects in my time but not had anything to do with a Honda.
I get the whole car to pull apart so can hopefully get my hands on everything needed to make this work.
My gut feeling is that the standard ECU will be too hard to make work minus a few parts (I presume it has a security feature as well, maybe have to keep the ignition).

So any help would be appreciated.

1. Is it too hard to make the standard ECU work?

2. If so, what is a good Ecu to use that can do the VTEC part?

Lets hope we can make it work then I can start a build thread.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Converting a L15A VTEC to an aircraft engine

My main concern would be if the ECU has the programming to adjust to lower pressure levels an engine would experience while in flight. I'm not familiar with the Fit ECU but I'd venture to guess that since its post OBD1 you'll probably need a standalone unit to manage custom tuning you may need for in flight operation/performance.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been done many times. We've considered using the Subaru engines as they sit the same as lycomings. However, the immboilizer that you are worried about can be removed from the ecu if it even has one. The problem you are going to worry about is finding a PSRU ( a reduction box for the prop) to take your 8000rpm swinging crank and turn it into 3000rpm max at the prop and make it last. Even the subaru guys are having a hard time with that. The ecu will go to a ceiling height of 21,000 feet which is way heigher than any ultralight or other bug smasher can go without oxygen or pressurization anyway.

Cliffs: the ecu is not a worry, finding a PSRU to mate up and last is. The ecu can handle the elevation change higher than the OP is capable of flying.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:30 PM

Thanks TurboChurch
I only need around 100hp, that is why I am looking at the L15A. The smallest Subaru EJ15 puts out this amount of hp but weighs the same as the rest of the EJ's so the Honda does this with significantly less weight.
The PSRU is no problem because I live about an hour from the Autoflight factory and he is keen to help.
The bit that worries me is the hoops I have to jump through to get this ECU to work (first choice), or put an aftermarket one on (will double the cost of the engine).
Old 10-22-2009, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, if the mechanicals are not an issue, the only adaption needed would be the ECU as you stated. I dont know for certain if that ECu has the immobilizer installed, if it does, there are a number of tuning/chipping facilities on here that will remove that item from the ECU. Or you could just use the complete harness, ignition switch, key, and the setup would weigh quite a bit more than it needs to cutting in on your useful load capacity. Contact J-K Tuning or Xenocron.com( both on east coast) or even Locash Tuning (West Coast) to see if the ECU has the immobilizer and if they will help you with that situation. Once you have that sorted, the wiring can be greatly reduced to what is needed.

Standalone is a dangerous area in that the new ECU will need to be completely tuned to that engine and that is dangerous. You could take your chances tuning it on the ground and then getting it really close with WBO2 compesation turned on and then just trim it by percentages with another person piloting. Lastly, are you going to run a dual ignition or just the factory setup? If so, how do you plan to control the second distributor? You will need to tune the igntion as well to achieve max safe power. This would not be an area that I would try to use EGT or cylinder temp to accomplish either.

Smartest and safest way would be the stock ecu with alot less hassle and money. I have looked into this a few times for my fathers setup: RV9A with the engine not determined yet.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:23 PM

I was going to run just one ignition and keep everything standard, but two fuel pumps.
Because I get the ECU basically thrown in with the engine I will give it a go, knowing I can put a Link Ecu on it as back up if I need to.
Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative to a Link that can run the VTEC?
Old 10-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am only finding that the stock ECU is pretty much your only route at this time. I really feel like you can make this work. Only other options would be something like MegaSquirt, which again is like any standalone and will need to be tuned which as said earlier is taking alot of chances. Good luck on which route you go, there are many other options in engines should you turn this one down. My preference would be to get any other OBD1 tuneable engine and then set up the known parameters using an OBD1 editor like Neptune/Hondata/eCtune, etc. and use the Wideband correction to allow you to make quick % changes and then simply tune the engine with very conservative ignition numbers seeing as this doesnt need to truely perform at 100%. I would love to see the completed project or any part of the project you have so far if you feel like sharing. PM me with your info.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

don't know jack about the fit yet, but all newer cars i've seen have the ecu/trans control in one box.
the ecu is gonna complain a lot about the lack of trans. shouldn't you grab a manual one?
Old 10-26-2009, 09:11 PM

I agree yes a manual would be the way to go.
The problem being that over here in New Zealand the L15A was only brought out in CVT, the 1.3l engine (L13A) was bought out in manual but is the same weight as the L15A, so power to weight would say go with the CVT.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well.. it would be a gamble. but with the 1.3 vs 5 if all sensors/wiring is the same the 1.3 ecu could adjust the fuel for the 1.5. but you risk O2/fuel codes.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:50 AM

Thanks Night you may be onto something there, but I would cautiously guess that they will be different.
Does anyone know the answer to this?
What I was planning on doing was getting the engine running in the car then starting to unplug things that I don't think I need (like CVT). Then work my way along.
Does this sound like a plan?

Did the L15A come out in manual in the US?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:12 PM

Hey cool project! What kind of aircraft is this engine going into? Also, have you considered turbo-normalization? I would think that could not only solve the problem of using the factory ECU programming at high altitude but would also improve the performance of your aircraft considerably. Also if you need an ECU from a Fit with manual transmission I'm sure someone would be willing to send you one from the US or elsewhere for a pretty reasonable price.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello

My name is Enrique, I am a pilot from Spain, I also interest in the honda engine L15A VTEC for install in a my airplane.

Any news with the project honded1?

thanks

Enrique A. Iglesias
www.solynubes.es
Old 09-08-2016, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Change ECU From Automatic Yo Manual

https://youtu.be/XcJ
Old 09-08-2016, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default L15A7 Vtec Wiring and Flywheel

I recently acquired a 2010 Honda Fit engine with from an automatic transmissio car..

I need help with the what wires go to the ignition.
Do I need to install a flywheel?
Are all the sensors used?
Do I need to change the ECU to manual tranny?

https://youtu.be/XcJ
Old 09-08-2016, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by celtico
Hello

My name is Enrique, I am a pilot from Spain, I also interest in the honda engine L15A VTEC for install in a my airplane.

Any news with the project honded1?

thanks

Enrique A. Iglesias
Construcción del avión Gazaile 2
Old 09-18-2016, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

first flight airplane with honda engine GDI 1.5 turbo.