Notices

Overall Feeling of Engine Machine Section

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Overall Feeling of Engine Machine Section

Good Morning everyone, just want to get some feedback from the members on this section. This section was created over 6 months ago and has seen a steady climb of thread creation and member posts. Would like to see what members think about the section and what possible improvements we can make for your better enjoyment? It's important to me that this section doesn't die and continues to grow. So go ahead and post away with what you think, good or bad!!!!
Old 01-29-2016, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Overall Feeling of Engine Machine Section

For myself this section why i come to h-t these days.

Real world data/knowledge,people dont talk trash here,we are helping each other for answer!
Old 01-29-2016, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I really like this section. I often read for hours on end to try and learn new things, and generally just to see what people have to say. I've also noticed the hondaboy "stereotypes" seem to avoid this section, which makes it even more enjoyable lol. I don't mean to offend anyone by that statement, but I think we all know what I mean there
Old 01-29-2016, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im probably a little biased , but I think this section was a good idea. People from All Motor, Forced Induction, and many other sections all have one thing in common, to build a badass Honda engine that stays together. While each section may contain engine builds, I think its still important to have a centrally located "engine building" section to refer to for the oddball stuff we might come across..

So far, I think its been primarily "tech focused", but of course you still get the occasional "My vtak wont work y0" thread, but that's to be expected and Tomcat has done a great job re-directing these types of threads to the correct sub-forum.

Engine building/blueprinting is a dying art. Anything we can do to keep this skill alive is good if you ask me. Machinists play a critical role in engine assembly. We trust our machine shops to do a good job and many times don't have a way to check their work.
By creating a forum and sharing knowledge on this subject, the chances of successful engine builds are increased. Make a mistake, learn from it, and share your knowledge to help the next guy. That's what forums should be about.
We need to get back to using Plastiguage to check our measurements and not rely on it primarily to determine bearing clearances.

It may be slow moving at times, but at least its not over run with BS like in some of the other sections. Id take low quantity high quality information any day over the latter.
I would like to see more threads on precision measuring and engine assembly processes myself. PTW, PTD, PTV, PTH are all things that should be check during assembly, but rarely are. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not so much.
I personally love reading about PTW clearance differences based on different applications, what kind of ring gaps are good for X horsepower, which bearings equal which clearances and pressures. I browse this section almost daily.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:10 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with everything posted above. I check on this section from time to time, but some interesting stuff definitely comes up. Aside from maybe more in depth tech like others have stated, I think this is definitely one of the better regulated, more 'grown up' sections of Honda-Tech. Even if you don't participate, it's a great section to be able to read without the typical BS.