Notices

lost motion kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost motion kit

So im rebuilding my engine ready for when i strap a turbo too it. While ordering some bits i needed for it i came across lost motion kits for my engine and i have a few questions to ask. I've read up on valve spring design and can see how the lost motion spring is a better design then two separate springs.
Im guessing they replace the inlet valve springs?
Also ive seen skunk 2 and honda ones for the same price, skunk 2 mention having hardened tips and not needing collars to lock them in. However for the honda ones nothing like this is mentioned, so im guessing they still slot in like the old ones?
And will i notice a difference with boost
Old 07-10-2015, 04:47 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: lost motion kit

2 separate springs? Inlet valve? S2 and OEM the same price? Locking collars? Notice a difference with boost?

Just what type of engine are you talking about exactly?
Old 07-10-2015, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

B16a2
Old 07-10-2015, 05:01 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

In that case there isn't any of the following: two separate springs, contact with any valves, same price, locking collars, and absolutely nothing to do with a boosted engine. That's not how the LMAs work... they only support the VTEC rocker arm when you aren't in VTEC to keep it from flopping around and causing damage. It doesn't have anything to do with what you mentioned and the OEM ones are more than double the price of the Skunk2 ones. You need to double check all your information sources.

Here is a picture of the difference between the old "hydraulic" type LMA and the new spring type LMA.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by philcivicjordan
So im rebuilding my engine ready for when i strap a turbo too it. While ordering some bits i needed for it i came across lost motion kits for my engine and i have a few questions to ask. I've read up on valve spring design and can see how the lost motion spring is a better design then two separate springs.
Im guessing they replace the inlet valve springs?
Also ive seen skunk 2 and honda ones for the same price, skunk 2 mention having hardened tips and not needing collars to lock them in. However for the honda ones nothing like this is mentioned, so im guessing they still slot in like the old ones?
And will i notice a difference with boost
I think you are confusing LMA/ lost motion assemblies with valve springs.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The example to the right i do not have in my engine it looks more like two seperate springs that inside eachother.and this was the inlet side.

The engine only had 70k on it so i doubt its been rebuilt either. Maybe im cobfused to where the lost motion kit goes
Old 07-10-2015, 05:14 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

If you are in fact talking about VALVE SPRINGS on the INTAKE side then that's how the B16A2 comes from the factory. Double spring on the intake valves and a single spring on the exhaust valves...

Honda Automotive Parts

Tell us what part number in the picture.
Attached Images  
Old 07-10-2015, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah 10 and 11 is what im talking about. I was guessing the lost motion kit replaces that design?
Old 07-10-2015, 05:34 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Again, you aren't listening... the LMAs have nothing to do with the valve springs. They are a seperate system all together and operate 100% independently of the valve springs. To put it VERY roughly - The valve springs are to keep the valves closed and the LMAs are to keep the VTEC rocker from slapping around.

The new designed LMA "kit" replaces part #16 in the diagram. I highly suggest you get a factory service manual or consult a professional if you are going to try and take your engine apart.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay i undestand that now and the message before i thought these replaced the valve spring initailly. I read a really detailed article on valve springs pretty sure lost motion was mentioned there, so thats where that come from. So is this a worthwile upgrade. I can get honda ones for the same as skunk 2.

Honda
http://japserviceparts.co.uk/civic/honda-civic-ek-series-96-00/engine-parts/honda-lost-motion-assembly-full-set-b-series.html

S2

http://www.funkypower.co.uk/catalogue.php?make=honda&model=INTEGRA&year=1995-01+DC2+INTEGRA+TYPE+R&level1=ENGINE&level2=LOST+MO TION+ASSEMBLY+KITS&level3=&id_product=7890
Old 07-10-2015, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its already apart there was no trying.
It ready to go back together im just waiting on parts. And replacing anything worth replacing while i wait
Old 07-10-2015, 07:30 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Hey, if you trust that shady looking website then more power to you. You didn't say you were from another country; here in the states they are double the cost IF you don't pay full price for OEM. You can see they are $26.06 each in the link I provided above. That doesn't include tax, shipping, or the handling fee from ordering with Majestic. I always heard that OEM parts were WAY more expensive in Europe, but maybe my memory deceives me.

Yes, the LMA upgrade is recommended regardless of your setup. OEM will always be preferred unless you are running MASSIVE cams, but you would hit the oil rails before you would run out of LMA compression anyways.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh right well i did read on here that oem costs more so i got arp head bolts without even looking at oem. They turned out to be more expensive then the honda ones haha, believe they are stronger though

What site are you reffering to as dodgey looking?

Cheers for dealing with my confusion and clearing things up
Old 07-10-2015, 11:05 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

ARP head studs are MUCH stronger than stock. There is no question there.

Jap Service Parts.

You are welcome.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nah they're good my friend knows the owner too.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by philcivicjordan
Oh right well i did read on here that oem costs more so i got arp head bolts without even looking at oem. They turned out to be more expensive then the honda ones haha, believe they are stronger though

What site are you reffering to as dodgey looking?

Cheers for dealing with my confusion and clearing things up
ARP head studs are more expensive, but they are "better" especially for boost you will want them to prevent your head from lifting. Another benefit is they are re-usable unlike OEM so if you ever need to remove the head for any reason they will instantly become cheaper then OEM, I think they are a good investment. And yes they are definitely stronger very necessary for any boosted motor,