Notices

Info on how to test valve springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Info on how to test valve springs

Hello again Honda tech.

I am looking for how to test valve springs to make sure they are still in working order. I have the supertech sprk-h100dr valve spring kit with the titanium retainers. Now for some reason realstreer performance has more specs then supertech does. For anyone the can give me some insight on this I am putting the like to them in here.

Supertech B16A2 B18C1 85lb Turbo Valvesprings Retainers Kit

They have been in my engine for about 3 years some daily driving the car made 321whp at around 22-24psi. Highest it was reved was 8800rpm. Any insight would be appreciated thanks.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Info on how to test valve springs

The cheapest option is probably to take the springs to a machine shop and see if they have a rimac or other tester. They are around $250-300 new and I bought a used one on ebay for $150 shipped so most engine machine shops should have one.

If you have a drill press you can make a pressure tester or buy one cheaper that basically just uses the quill to compress the spring against a gauge like this:

The only problem there being you need a way to measure compressed length so you know how far is the installed height and then how far max lift would be
Old 04-17-2016, 12:02 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/ima...3&op_sharpen=1

challenge accepted lol

wait for a new addition to my poorboi tool set
Old 04-17-2016, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you guys for you replies. I emailed supertech and they sent me the specs for their Honda b series valve springs. I was able to borrow a valve spring tester from our local machine shop. A few searches on YouTube and was able to figure it out. I have only been able to test the intake valve springs and inspect the titanium retainers. Surprisingly everyone is in spec to the t.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

While I check any spring I use (just because it takes 5 seconds to do it), you usually only need the pressure tester if you are messing with an installed height trying to get the seat pressure to match the camshaft (basically mix and match stuff).

You can calculate the theoretical pressure based on the spring rate but since you are usually stuck with +/-.050" locks/retainers/spacers then you can't quite get the exact pressure specified sometimes.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would u rather end up with slightly lower or slightly higher pressure?

I am using GSr cams and settled for slightly shorter installed height/higher pressure and put it together(Rocket SL light Springs,Ferrea 6000 valves, Ferrea locks, flat K20 retainers.)

btw..testing my old ITR springs revealed they had fatigued to less than 30 lbs seat pressure on some of them.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B and B
Would u rather end up with slightly lower or slightly higher pressure?

I am using GSr cams and settled for slightly shorter installed height/higher pressure and put it together(Rocket SL light Springs,Ferrea 6000 valves, Ferrea locks, flat K20 retainers.)

btw..testing my old ITR springs revealed they had fatigued to less than 30 lbs seat pressure on some of them.

The problem with any spring is the closer you get to solid, the more it lose pressure over time. You can probably get half of a decent idea on the ability of any unknown spring by measuring wire diameter, free length, OD/ID and then comparing that to a spring on Century/Lee/ETC page on similar springs.

I would *rather* have slightly higher pressure as more seat pressure vs less is going to help prevent valve float . . . but how much less installed height it takes and how much closer you get to coil bind is a concern.