View Poll Results: Should we request an Engine Machining subforum?
yes, good idea!
94.34%
No, stupid idea
3.77%
I could care less
1.89%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

How about a subforum for "Engine Machining" ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How about a subforum for "Engine Machining" ?

Just a random thought before the Zyquil kick in...
It would be kinda cool if we had a section on engine machining and standard procedures llike boring/honing, decking, measurements, etc.
I know there are a few professionals in the industry that lurk around HT. I think it would be great to have a place where people that actually machine engines could discuss theories and practices.
At the same time, it would help others learn about correct terminology, what machine shops actually do, and how they prepare engines for a new life.

I mean... we have one for lighting and security. And paint and bodywork...
Yay? Nay?

Last edited by PyroProblem; 04-17-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: How about a subforum for "Engine Machining" ?

id be all in for that!
Old 04-15-2015, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It would be a GREAT place to keep specs vs having to search the whole forum board to find clearances/torque specs.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:08 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It would be cool, IF people would actually share. The problem you will find is soo many places just hack **** up and you are none the wiser. The more you do yourself the better off you are - because you actually care as it's your money you are playing with. To add to all that, this website's activity seems to have GREATLY dropped off in the past couple months let alone years.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV
To add to all that, this website's activity seems to have GREATLY dropped off in the past couple months let alone years.
x10000000

This forum slowly has been turning into a "dumping ground". Not much info/tech/builds anymore...just a bunch of open mouths looking for spoons.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Agreed. A lot of the knowledgeable engine machinists don't post too much anymore.

I remember a lot of people with actual machining/building experience that would post helpful information like "NJIN BUILDER", "EG1834", "H2.4" to name a few.

If we provided a specific place to invite these guys and share their knowledge, I bet some of them would come back around again.
Yeah, you can usually find the information your looking for on here, but certain things can only be learned through trial and error (experience), like how PTW clearances are determined by HP levels, Fuel types, piston alloys, etc. And things like clearance vs. oil pressures and bearing sizes.

IMO, good machine shops are kinda hard to come by. Ive had many shops screw something up in one way or another. Luckily, I've learned how to double check some machining operations (with micrometers and bore gauges) to verify if they've done a good job or not.

Every once in a while, you see a legit thread about some type of machine work that's questionable. Rarely, you see some expert advice reply from someone that knows wth hell their talking about.
ENGINE MACHINISTS WHERE ARE YOU ALL AT??
Old 04-15-2015, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If we call them, they will come
Old 04-15-2015, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be cool, IF people would actually share. The problem you will find is soo many places just hack **** up and you are none the wiser. The more you do yourself the better off you are - because you actually care as it's your money you are playing with.

wow pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

I did this on other forms a while back... I think people just liked the before/after pictures not so much any tech related questions or suggestions on those threads.

Also those/machinist who know what they are doing are not easily going to give away their own preference, tips, tricks they picked up along the way.
If you're lucky to work closely with a machinist who's willing to share, consider yourself lucky.
There's zero benefit to them sharing their trade skill with you unless it's purely for consumer advocacy "consumer beware" type tips.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Long time lurker so I had to create a account when I saw this. This would be a great idea! I think people including myself would love to share this info!
Old 04-15-2015, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Welcome birdd!
I take it your in the automotive machine industry?
And thanks for joining because of this thread.

I know they're out there. Probably in the FI and welding/fabrication forums.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

!YEA
Old 04-16-2015, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, great idea.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not a bad idea to possibly make engine machinist section. I think the traffic numbers would possibly the problem for it currently.

When it comes to actual specifics certain things are actually covered in the FAQ sections of specific sub-forums. Also their are more threads in the drag section, hybrid and tech that people forget to look into.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crazes
Its not a bad idea to possibly make engine machinist section. I think the traffic numbers would possibly the problem for it currently.

When it comes to actual specifics certain things are actually covered in the FAQ sections of specific sub-forums. Also their are more threads in the drag section, hybrid and tech that people forget to look into.
I see your point, but I think having a specific machinist section would possibly ATTRACT more members (specifically machinists) to share knowledge, advice,and experience.
And I agree that most info can be found if you look around enough, but how many threads do we see that are machine shop/machining operations oriented (quite a few IMO) that are posted in various subforums.
Most answers are from novice/ amateur builders and not ACTUAL machinists.

Wouldn't it be nice to have one specific section dedicated to it?
I think it would bring more "tech" back to Honda tech. ..

Thoughts?
Old 04-17-2015, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bout time!!!!!!!!!!! this would be awesome.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I actually had a couple people that actually do machining pm me about contributing to this and sharing information.

The Interest is there but not enough people are speaking up.

I'm gonna change my sig when I get home and try to attract some attention to this thread/poll.

If you want to see a new subforum specifically concentrating on machine work and standards in the industry, take a few minutes
and do YOUR PART ad help this become a reality!

Link this poll in your signature and try to attract some machinists that are lurking on Honda tech. It will work!

Lets get some tech back in these forums!

I can't do this alone. But we can do this together! !

(Motivational speech of the year)
Old 04-17-2015, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it doesn't work. I'll admit defeat and well all go about out merry way.

Engine builders and machinists go hand in hand. I can't understand why it would not be popular.

In the words of Otep Shamaya, "stand up speak! Speak out!"
Old 04-18-2015, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by PyroProblem
If it doesn't work. I'll admit defeat and well all go about out merry way.

Engine builders and machinists go hand in hand. I can't understand why it would not be popular.

In the words of Otep Shamaya, "stand up speak! Speak out!"
Because unfortunately you have look at the current culture in the industry. More money is being spent on stance and looks of a car instead of engine building. Is there an slowly growing increase, yes there is. The grow is slow, which why the push for this subforum isn't as strong as you would expect. I would not stir away from accepting defeat just for now. If the numbers for it don't show for the creation, we can make a dedicated sticky thread for machinist to have a place for knowledge dropping. The problem would be where? The appropriate location would be the tech section, which might receive some numbers, but I believe the All motor or hybrid would give it a strong place and high view count.

Thoughts?
Old 04-18-2015, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crazes
Because unfortunately you have look at the current culture in the industry. More money is being spent on stance and looks of a car instead of engine building. Is there an slowly growing increase, yes there is. The grow is slow, which why the push for this subforum isn't as strong as you would expect. I would not stir away from accepting defeat just for now. If the numbers for it don't show for the creation, we can make a dedicated sticky thread for machinist to have a place for knowledge dropping. The problem would be where? The appropriate location would be the tech section, which might receive some numbers, but I believe the All motor or hybrid would give it a strong place and high view count.

Thoughts?
I think the All Motor and/or Forced Inductions sections would have the most traffic of machinists. Maybe the tech section as well. It seems to me that most of the hardcore engine builds are in these 2 sections to me. But then again, the drag race section has some hardcore racers that machine and build engines all the time, so IDK. I just thought a machining section could also kinda tie in these different areas of the forum where the builders still hang out. Perhaps direct the builders and machinists to a more focused location to discuss the more "nitty gritty" side of engine building.

Thank you for at least considering it.

It was an idea, but perhaps you are right.
HELLAFLUSH > Hardcore Honda engine building
Old 04-18-2015, 07:51 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The problem with the "Tech/Misc" section is the "MISC" (for those not quirky - miscellaneous) part of that section. You get too many questions that are along the lines of "If my feet are sticking out the front of my car, which way do I turn the oil pan drain plug?" and it keeps a lot of people out of there.

If you read down the list it doesn't make sense NOT to have a Engine Building / Machining section. I mean, come on, how does K-series get its own section and not B, D, H, F... (Ok I think you get my point) Reading through the Sub Forums EB / M just doesn't fit in any one specific category. Is it PART OF those sections? Well duh, you don't exactly put a motor together to have something to race without some sort of Engine Building or Machining. Wait, you need something else to drive a car down a track too - oh yeah, a transmission. Speaking of which...

Transmission / Differential gets their own section and it is arguably one of the slowest sections. Hell, even Lighting gets its own section? Haha... OK. I think you guys are trying to focus on the ricers like they matter. I hate to break it to you, but they have been around for over 20 years now. Just because the latest FAD has shifted doesn't mean they aren't the same idiots with a quadruple wing stack on their stock Civic. Besides, Diesel trucks is the latest ricer burner if there ever was one.

In closing, just take a look down the sub forum list and read each one's description. You would be hard pressed to come up with a logical reason why it doesn't NEED it's own section. If traffic is your concern then you should start deleting a few sections right now that already exist. It can only HELP breathe fresh life into this dying forum, worst case it's status quo. Too many lame *** Facebook groups these days where misinformation spreads like wildfire due to "sharing".

PS - We also need better moderation on moving threads that don't belong in a certain section to the correct ones.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you read down the list it doesn't make sense NOT to have a Engine Building / Machining section.

In closing, just take a look down the sub forum list and read each one's description. You would be hard pressed to come up with a logical reason why it doesn't NEED it's own section. :
This. I just looked over the thread and post counts statistics for all the sub-forums in the "technical forums" and wasn't all too surprised at the results...

1st place. over 1.7 million posts- Forced Induction section (engine machining commonly required)
2nd place. over 800,000 posts- Drag Racing section (engine machining commonly required)
3rd place with over 700,000 posts - All Motor section (engine machining commonly required)

I counted Posts vs. Threads since I think its a more accurate representation of traffic and involvement through the site...
Old 04-20-2015, 07:58 PM

So let me ask you a question gentleman, how about possibly having a machinist and fabrication thread? They encompass some of the same qualities?

What do you guys think about this possibly?
Old 04-20-2015, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Engine Machining and building are totally different than Fabrication in my opinion.
I browse the fab forum sometimes and most topics are about welding manifolds, fabbing headers and exhausts, roll cages,etc.

Although they do encompass some of the same qualities as far as precision measuring, the area of focus is completely different

Engine Building/ Machining includes boring and honing cylinders, decking of blocks and milling of heads, checking piston to wall clearance, checking bearing clearance, crankshaft thrust, PTV and VTV clearance, determining how clearances are affected by heat/HP and application) And sooo much more.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If anything, I'd relate it to more to the all motor section.

Quick Reply: How about a subforum for "Engine Machining" ?