Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission

Hello.

What do you guys think, what will be the limit of D16Z6 tranny. (whp)
What obout D15 tranny (S20)

Regards
Old 01-25-2004, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission (kaimo)

200 whp
Old 01-25-2004, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Transmission (fast is fun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fast is fun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">200 whp</TD></TR></TABLE>

i thought a senior citzen would have more class than that.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission (2.2Lcivic)

id say upward of 400... but i have no clue
Old 01-27-2004, 01:23 AM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Transmission (kaimo)

I can blow a stock S20 tranny with 118 whp and a stock clutch, launching in slicks.

Did it twice.

With upgraded LSD (Kaaz here) and a "soft" clutch, the tranny will hold 350-400 whp. Go with to agressive of a clutch and you'll be stripping gear teeth.

All a balancing act.

S20 tranny guru........
Old 01-27-2004, 05:11 AM

Default Re: Transmission (Mista Bone)

Still waiting for my first break Hopefully it will never happen. I do run a LSD btw.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission (Civic TSI)

Well, it is not the HP that breaks a transmission, it is primarily the clutch engagement and secondly, the torque input. I have been putting 400-475 ft.lb.tq. to my Si, and ZC transmissions for the past four years. The only time I have had issues with breakage is when I have put a really aggressive clutch in the car. I have gone through seven different combinations of clutch disks, pressure plates, materials, etc. to get the clutch to not shred gears in a d-series transmission on gear changes. Once you figure out the clutch engagement, you will have very few problems with your transmission. I have never blown up a transmission pulling through a gear, so I know that a D-series tranny should be good to at least 500 ft. lbs. There is a tremendous amount of case flex in the D-series trannys. I do not know if the B-series guys have seen the same issues, but I have seen evidence of over .100" countershaft movement/case flex, under load.

Later,

ZEX Man
Old 01-27-2004, 06:06 AM

I second what ZEX Man said.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission (2.2Lcivic)

when you run in the the 9s , 8s or 165mi then you can call me old !

Modified by fast is fun at 2:59 PM 1/29/2004
Old 01-28-2004, 11:54 PM
D Tranny Guru

got a number to call????

Matt, anyway to overcome the case flex?
Also would the DX (small bearing) case be better or worse???

Small bearings = less load cap, but the case would be stronger.

I'm open to suggestions.......I have to build 3 trannys for a NHRA Hot Rod class car.
Looking to fit a Richmond B series spool into a D case.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mista Bone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">got a number to call????

Matt, anyway to overcome the case flex?
Also would the DX (small bearing) case be better or worse???

Small bearings = less load cap, but the case would be stronger.

I'm open to suggestions.......I have to build 3 trannys for a NHRA Hot Rod class car.
Looking to fit a Richmond B series spool into a D case.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mista Bone,

I have thought about building a case girdle for the end of the trans., but have not done so yet. Otherwise, no, I am still trying to figure out ways to control case flex. I have always used the Si or ZC cases, so I do not know how well the smaller DX bearing would work in a high HP application. My gut tells me the small bearing would work fine....the thicker aluminum bearing bore would be an advantage in my estimation. The only reason I have not messed with the DX case is that the ZC transmissions I use are only $100 a piece, I haven't had case related bearing failure, and I really don't feel like having to buy another transmission (DX) just to build one (DX/ZC hybrid). I would try it out though...I think it would work. That's pretty cool that someone is building a serious Hot Rod class, D-series powered race car. Any info on who it is?

ZEX Man
Old 01-29-2004, 06:21 AM
HT's Biggest Loser

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fast is fun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> when you run in the the 9s , 8s or 165mi then you can call me old ! </TD></TR></TABLE>

hahhahhaa. Dave just got oWned
Old 01-29-2004, 12:37 PM
D Tranny Guru

Default Re: Transmission (ZEX Man)

The person is basically a nobody to most.

But the car chassis was built by a rep. shop in Michigan.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

13.07 my wifes car goes that fast.mycar was build by me in my shop in utah and AtoZ next door to my shop he's nhra tech and builds pro cars. how many records do you have (nobody)
Old 01-29-2004, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow your being really pissy^

zexman hit it right on the head
Old 01-29-2004, 11:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fast is fun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> when you run in the the 9s , 8s or 165mi then you can call me old !

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old!!
Old 01-29-2004, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission (Bisimoto)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bisimoto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Old!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL!!!

Isn't Andrew Tran the fastest sport compact in Utah?
Old 01-30-2004, 03:49 AM
D Tranny Guru

I'm just a low bucker that happens to be good at trannys.

The car was built at a VERY well known MI shop.....the "owner" never paid his bill.

It might "Payn" you to know all the details, sponsership being lined up now. I hope to "Wil" some extra once the packaged comes around.

Bisi, your not old yet. Your still a few years age wise behind me.

Matt/Bisi, I now a "soft" clutch will be the key to making the trannys live, but at 500 hp a 6 puk becomes a "soft" clutch........right?

Even getting Reider Racing and Richmond Gear into the mix, something Matt understands.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission (sparkz)

To run in ut at 4300 ft. !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2004, 09:09 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mista Bone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Matt/Bisi, I now a "soft" clutch will be the key to making the trannys live, but at 500 hp a 6 puk becomes a "soft" clutch........right?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sir Bone,
I was responding to Mr. King over there who was boasting about 9 second runs.

I do not have the level of torque performance as Matt, thus I still get away with a 4 puck, dual diaphram clutch assembly.

By the way king, 2700 ft is close enough!
Old 01-30-2004, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission (Bisimoto)

mista bone...

whats the situation here?
you are building a d series hotrod car out of nengs white hatch?

since when?
Old 01-30-2004, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mista Bone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm just a low bucker that happens to be good at trannys.

The car was built at a VERY well known MI shop.....the "owner" never paid his bill.

It might "Payn" you to know all the details, sponsership being lined up now. I hope to "Wil" some extra once the packaged comes around.

Even getting Reider Racing and Richmond Gear into the mix, something Matt understands.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bone,

I got away from using the six puck disks three years ago. I now use a "full-face" disk. I has slots cut into it, making it have six segments, but the friction material goes all the way around. The more surface area, the less "break-away" torque required to get it to slip. The full-face disks are much smoother on engagement. The only downside is that they weigh more than a 4 or 6 puck disk, but I feel it is a small price to pay for a smooth clutch.

ZEX Man
Old 01-30-2004, 02:38 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mista Bone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The person is basically a nobody to most.

But the car chassis was built by a rep. shop in Michigan.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey if you guys did not happen to notice his signature...how many of you have a profile on NHRA's web site? (Yeah Bisi, I know you do too) Have you actually attended a national race as anything but a spector? He may be older than the average but that just means he has been racing longer than most of you have been alive...with age comes experience...

The car was built in Utah by Addit 2 Your Toy. The Chassis was build by one of the best Chassis builders around Ralph Perea @ A-Z Motorsports & Fabrication. You can find him on NHRA & Division 7's web sites. He happens to be Silver Level (not that you would know what that means but it is really good) with the NHRA for Chassis & Tech, as well as the Race/Tech Director for Rocky Mountain Raceways.

And as far as Andy Tran goes the fastest he has ever run here is around 10.82. He has run faster at other tracks but never at this elevation.

Everyone has different opinions on what horsepower different tranny set ups can handle and each one is different depending on the actual setup and how much wear there already is on the parts.

Just be nice, no one needed to start in on his age & by the way the only real sponsor he has right now is his wife, so he is low buck, too. If you are not sure who you are talking about or the facts keep your mouth shut...

No go back to the original question.

Modified by Chassis' Girl at 5:46 PM 1/30/2004
Old 01-30-2004, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission (Chassis' Girl)

I think Bone was refering to my question of who he was building the D-series transmissions for. I don't think he was slamming on "fast is fun". You may have just reacted to something he didn't really say. But, lets be honest, if you put "fastest car in whatever state" in your signature, you are just opening up yourself for people giving you a hard time. I mean, I could say "Fastest yellow CRX with black seat belts in TN" and it would be true......but I would be fed a bunch of crap for making the "big fish in a little pond" statement. Put the pridefullness away and don't make such bold statements and people will generally not start crap with you. Do you see Jason Hunt talking smack about having the fastest street car in the country....no, because he is a class act that lets his car do the talking, not the internet

ZEX Man
Old 01-30-2004, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Transmission (ZEX Man)

ZEX Man, you do have a point about the signature issues but since we know Andy it has been a running joke for a couple of years. (BTW Andy is not spending a lot of time in Utah anymore.) And as for being 'Utah's Fastest Sport Compact' technically Joe is and we will take our lumps for saying it because the car (& the Driver) continue to back it up.

I re-read the thread and it could have been taken either way, if he was refering to your question I retract part of my statements but there was no reason for anyone to call Joe a Senior Citizen Mr. King or Old. That was totally uncalled for. Trust me I know him really well and if you did not know better you would think he was only about 17. Talk about a terminal teenager...

Part of it is that you are kind of expected to defend your family...ya know? Since Fast is Fun is my Father & A-Z Motorsports is my other half???? Right??

I don't want to start anything here but good grief someone else started it. But no biggy we are getting used to it, everybody thinks I drive the car and about fall over when they realize he does. And that I do the computer tuning... Even Laskey's wanted to know what was up with that at the last race. Truce okay?

Quick Reply: Transmission