Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Preloading

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preloading

I know many people use the emergency brake to do this ? What is the actual advantage of it ? What is actually happening that benefits ? Is it done to put less stress on drivetrain or to increase ETs ? Also are their any other ways to do it other than ebrake ?
Old 10-09-2008, 06:33 PM
G2K

Default Re: Preloading (kornerk12)

You can use the e-brake, its the cheapest since its already there. You can also use a line lock or staging brake. All the different ways essentially do the same thing though. You are basically preloading the drivetrain, so that it does not get a harsh shock when the clutch is let out. This helps with broken axles and trannys. It also makes for alittle less wear and tear on the trans. If done properly, preloading and throttle control can help decrease 60ft's and ET's.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Preloading (G2K)

It is the only way to launch, you can always tell when someone doesn't preload cause they brake an axle.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Preloading (base-op.1320)

my other question is, your supposed to let the clutch out till you feel it grab and then drop the ebrake correct ? With a 6 puck isnt it gonna be alittle bit hard to release where it just grabs, since its an on/off switch ?
Old 10-10-2008, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Preloading (base-op.1320)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by base-op.1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is the only way to launch, you can always tell when someone doesn't preload cause they brake an axle.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know about that.. I've never broken an axle or transmission and I've never preloaded. I get consistent mid 1.6x 60' times too.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Preloading (T4 Neon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by T4 Neon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't know about that.. I've never broken an axle or transmission and I've never preloaded. I get consistent mid 1.6x 60' times too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am prety sure your car is a little diferient than ours. After all this Honda-tech Not Dodge-Tech.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Preloading (BlakeJ53)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlakeJ53 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I am prety sure your car is a little diferient than ours. After all this Honda-tech Not Dodge-Tech.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Now now, no needs for that. That's the beauty of Honda-tech. we have many racers from all forums n makes on this site because it really is one of the premier drag racing sites out there, honda or non-honda. Lots of experienced and knowledgable guys that don't race hondas (extreme race cars, titan, just to name a couple).

But back to the OP. I used to brake axles left n right until I figured out the whole preloading deal. It really does work. I stopped breaking axles as soon as I started preloading. And now with my Dss axles, I still preload and at 8500rpm launches at about 10psi off the line, my stock tranny is still happy.

-Zol
Old 10-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Preloading (reaction360)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by reaction360 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Now now, no needs for that. That's the beauty of Honda-tech. we have many racers from all forums n makes on this site because it really is one of the premier drag racing sites out there, honda or non-honda. Lots of experienced and knowledgable guys that don't race hondas (extreme race cars, titan, just to name a couple).

</TD></TR></TABLE>

His point was that you can drop the clutch on a lot of cars and not break axles. But we are not talking about those cars, just Hondas which can't just drop the clutch and expect axles and trannys to last. Giving that kind of advice based on a different type of car all together doesn't do the OP and anyone else reading any good.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Preloading (nsxmatt)

I'm sure the torque capabilities of the stock parts aren't all that different, from your econobox to mine, but I'm sorry to ruffle feathers.. I was just trying to point out, that preloading isn't the only way to save parts. Flow control valves and twin disk clutches also work.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by T4 Neon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm sure the torque capabilities of the stock parts aren't all that different, from your econobox to mine, but I'm sorry to ruffle feathers.. I was just trying to point out, that preloading isn't the only way to save parts. Flow control valves and twin disk clutches also work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's a little excessive for a stock car to throw a twin disk on it. I know when Neon guys upgrade to the larger shadow axles and hubs it's because the tq capabilities of the stock parts are not enough. Just preload, take it from the people who have been there before with the actual car you have.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Preloading (nsxmatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxmatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

His point was that you can drop the clutch on a lot of cars and not break axles. But we are not talking about those cars, just Hondas which can't just drop the clutch and expect axles and trannys to last. Giving that kind of advice based on a different type of car all together doesn't do the OP and anyone else reading any good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't recall reading about anyone talking about dropping the clutch on any car.

BUT.......... I don't think at this point any of us are helpin out the OP with all this useless rambling. Guy just wants to know how to properly preload his car.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by T4 Neon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm sure the torque capabilities of the stock parts aren't all that different, from your econobox to mine, but I'm sorry to ruffle feathers.. I was just trying to point out, that preloading isn't the only way to save parts. Flow control valves and twin disk clutches also work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

are flow control valves even legal in any street classes? just curious.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Preloading (reaction360)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by reaction360 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

BUT.......... I don't think at this point any of us are helpin out the OP with all this useless rambling. Guy just wants to know how to properly preload his car.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

OP watch Tony1's video in his thread. Watch his right hand.

https://honda-tech.com/zero...ge=36

There is another great video of Felix Medina from Pomona last year that is also great.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Preloading (1992Si)

To the OP...

Ive got a bone stock motor and stock axels with a CC stage 4 6-puc, ive used 25x8.7 M*H and 24.5X8 M/T slicks on my car and i have had no problem when it comes to breaking axels... i slip the clutch on the line untill i feel the car start to move, then i pull the e-brake up... i think if you side step the clutch you will break stuff...ive seen people shread stock diff's and break axels on street tires and i dont know how they do it... Pre-loading will definetly help...
Old 10-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Preloading (gringotegra)

well i have a launch control first off. So i push the gas down and have it sit at the desired rpm, with the clutch to the floor and ebrake pulled up ? Then you leet the clutch out quick but not sidestepping it or "dumping it". And as you feel it start to engage you let the ebrake down ?

Do i have it down ?
Old 10-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is what we found to work..
.burnout
.slowly moving forward, pre-stage light on
.stop car with as normal and get on the e-brake.
.get on ur launch controll/2-step etc and gently release clutch until biting point, lightly release e-brake and car will start to move forward.
.as soon as stage light comes on, pull e-brake to stop car rolling, try to keep the clutch on biting point, you <U>may</U> feel the rear end squat a little.
.realese clutch and almost instantly release e-brake.
i dont garantee your gunna cut 1.5's but hope it helps
Old 10-12-2008, 03:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good info
Old 10-12-2008, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

would you use preloading and flow control valve together or just one of them I snapped both axels friday night at the same time.. btw 3.9 DSS ones..
Old 05-12-2015, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by lou-tdi
this is what we found to work..
.burnout
.slowly moving forward, pre-stage light on
.stop car with as normal and get on the e-brake.
.get on ur launch controll/2-step etc and gently release clutch until biting point, lightly release e-brake and car will start to move forward.
.as soon as stage light comes on, pull e-brake to stop car rolling, try to keep the clutch on biting point, you <U>may</U> feel the rear end squat a little.
.realese clutch and almost instantly release e-brake.
i dont garantee your gunna cut 1.5's but hope it helps
Wouldn't that overheat the clutch? I know a lot of people do it but it just seems like it would burn up a clutch.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Preloading

I don't preload, I've never broken an axle (DriveshaftShop Pro Level, I used to run DriveshaftShop 5.9's also). Normal 60ft times are 1.46-1.47. Car did 3 back to back 8.6x passes at 178-180 mph at this past event on small tire.

Take that for whatever its worth. I can't cut a good light to save my life, but that doesn't affect me too much, lol.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts
Default Re: Preloading

I don't preload either. Same 2.9 DSS axles in my car since 2006.