Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

2006 NDRA Pro 4 Class Rules

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 04:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 NDRA Pro 4 Class Rules

1.9> PRO 4 CYLINDER
• SPONSOR DECALS: All racers must have series and or class sponsor decals as required by NDRA. Competitors can utilize a competing sponsor product/logo
• CLASS: The class designation (P/4) must be on the both sides and the front window in 3-inch tall letters.
• NUMBERS: Numbers on both sides and rear windows must be 6 inches tall. The front windshield number may be 3 inches tall.
• BODY: Stock Import or domestic compact FWD or Unibody AWD entries only. Car or truck body style must be retained in door slammer variety. No tape can be used to join/cover body seams. Stock general profile/shape must remain. Stock unibody pan must remain from the front seat backs forward. No cutting of the firewall. Stock A pillar, B pillar, rocker panels, quarter panels and roof panels must remain. Any component listed above that is modified, will cause vehicle to be moved up to the Pro MOD class. Lightweight components (non-stock fiberglass or other composite) limited to hood, doors, front fenders, deckled/hatch, but one-piece front ends allowed. Stock headlights must remain or be painted / decaled on. 1/8 inch thick Lexan/Plexiglas windows allowed. Front and rear windshield must be within 3 degrees of stock.
• INTERIOR: Doors must open/close from inside and outside of vehicle.
• ENGINE: The NDRA requires the use of an engine diaper in all Pro classes. Engine must be commercially available, produced in runs of 500 or more. 4-cylinder engine must be of automotive origin. FWD and AWD only. Stock driveline configuration must remain. Transverse mounted engines must remain transversely mounted, etc. Engine must be of import origin, or be offered as OEM in compact cars/trucks/SUV as sold in North America in 2004 model year or earlier only. Engine can be equipped with a turbocharger, a nitrous oxide system or with a supercharger, or any combination there of, for a total of two power adders. Displacement limited to 2.5 liters maximum. No air-cooled or rotary entries. Engine (block) must be of same make as vehicle competing (Hondas can use Acura motors). Approved after market cast blocks, and stepped deck block allowed. No billet blocks.
• CYLINDER HEADS: No billet cylinder heads allowed. Heads must be commercially available, produced in runs of 500 or more. Any internal modifications allowed.
• INDUCTION SYSTEMS: Any type of intake/fuel delivery allowed, including carbs, mechanical/electronic fuel injection, custom plenums, multiple injector entry points, etc.
• NITROUS OXIDE: Bottles must be stamped 1800-psi minimum. Bottles must be mounted directly to the body, utilizing steel brackets and all mounting points. Electrical bottle heaters allowed. NOTE: NO EXTERNAL FLAME HEATING ALLOWED. Blow down tube is required if bottle is inside passenger compartment.
• EXHAUST SYSTEM: NDRA does not require mufflers for racing; however some tracks have a noise ordinance, which requires a muffler for Saturday racing.
• TRANSMISSION: Stock case gear boxes only, must be H-Pattern shifted.
• CLUTCH/FLYWHEEL AND FLYWHEEL SHIELD: No slipper style clutches allowed. After market clutch and flywheel shield required if car runs 11.99 or quicker. See section 4:13 AND 4.16 for more details.
• WEIGHTS / TURBO LIMITS: FWD: 0.90 lbs per CC of displacement (minimum of 1800 lbs.), with up to two power adders
Example: 1.5L = 1350 lbs. (1800 lb. min.)
1.8L = 1620 lbs. (1800 lb. min.)
2.0L = 1800 lbs. (1800 lb. min.)
2.2L = 1980 lbs. (1800 lb. min.)
2.7L = 2430 lbs.
AWD: .80 lbs. per cc. (minimum of 1900 lb), with up to two power adders
Add 300 lbs. for ecotec engines.
Maximum Turbo size = 74 mm, single turbo only. Max size is defined by inducer wheel size measurements. Maximum compressor inducer diameter is 75.85 mm. This is measured at the point where the leading edge of the compressor wheel meets the housing. Inducer diameter can be no larger than this. No stepped inducer wheels allowed. The contour from inducer to exducer must be continuous with no steps.
• CHASSIS & CERTIFICATION: Full tube chassis not allowed. All Cars must retain all stock flooring from back of front seats forward. Stock flooring can be removed behind front seats, in hatch area or trunk, but sheet metal must take its place in accordance with NHRA / IHRA specs. No center-drive systems. Engine cradle must remain. No transverse conversions allowed. Wheelie bars allowed. : NOTE: CARS RUNNING AN ET OF (9.99 NHRA) OR (9.50 IHRA) or 135 MPH AND QUICKER MUST HAVE A CHASSIS CERTIFICATION TAG. AND MUST BE CURRENT (NO EXCEPTIONS!)
• SUSPENSION: Must use one shock per wheel. Coil-over shocks allowed. Wheelie bars allowed but wheels cannot be pre-loaded or touch the ground at the starting line. No cockpit adjustable, trigger switch activated or remote wheelie bar systems allowed. Stock functional shock towers, and lower control arm mountings must remain in front of car and stock functional shock towers must remain in rear of car.
• WHEELBASE: Maximum wheelbase is 105 inches. Wheelbase must remain with in +/- 2-inch total side to side of stock.
• IGNITION SYSTEM: Aftermarket crank triggers, two-step rev limiters, ignition amplifiers, spark Computers and dynamically adjustable engine management systems are allowed.
• COMPUTERS/ELECTRONICS: See General Regulation Section 4.31.
• LIGHTS: Headlights must be stock or be painted on to resemble stock headlights. Vehicle must have one red taillight and must be in working order.
• BRAKES / TRACTION CONTROL: Cars must have four-wheel brakes in good working order. Traction control prohibited. NOTE: TRACTION CONTROL IS DEFINED BY NDRA AS A COMPUTER CONTROLLED SECONDARY BRAKING DEVICE THAT CONTROLS WHEEL SPEED.
• COOLING SYSTEM: 1-pint minimum catch can is required. Electric fans/water pumps allowed. Catch cans, must NOT be mounted in front of tires or with overflow line pointed at tires.
• WHEELS/STUDS: See General Regulations Section 4.35.
• TIRES: Slicks OK. 26” tall maximum, no limit on tire width at this time. NOTE: ABSOLUTELY NO MINI SPARE TIRES OR NON-SPEED RATED TIRES MAY BE USED. Cars running 11.99 must have metal valve stems, or tubes / liners.
• FUEL: NDRA approved racing gasoline only. No VP Import or VP56 fuels allowed in this class. Fuels must meet all requirements of Section 4.32.
• DRIVERS LICENSE: State, or Federal, or International drivers license mandatory.
• COMPETITION LICENSE: NOTE: A VALID COMPETITION LICENSE MANDATORY FOR CARS RUNNING 9.99 AND QUICKER AT A NHRA TRACK AND 9;50 AND QUICKER AT A IHRA TRACK (NO EXCEPTIONS!)
• DRIVERS SAFETY EQUIPMENT: Any vehicle equipped with a roll cage or roll bar must be equipped with a padded head protector to be placed behind the driver's head mounted in such a way so as to help minimize the risk of whiplash. The cage or roll bar must also be fitted with padding in any area where it may come in contact with the driver's helmet. Padding with ¼ inch compression or padding meeting SFI Spec 45.1 padding or better shall be used. No other forms of padding will be accepted.
• HELMETS: Drivers of cars 13.99 or quicker must use a helmet that is Snell 95, 2000 SFI 31.1, 31.2, 41.1 or 41.2 spec. Any helmet that is modified in any way other than paint jobs shall be deemed unsafe and not suited for competition. Drivers must be wearing their helmet prior to entering the burnout area. The NDRA requires the use of Full Face Helmets and strongly recommends the use of the proper visor as well. The NDRA also requires the use of a head restraint system.
• CLOTHING: 10.00-11.99: Drivers must wear jacket and pants meeting SFI 3.2A/1. Cars running 9.99 and quicker must wear jacket and pants meeting SFI 3.2A/5, and gloves meeting 3.3/1 mandatory.
• SEAT BELTS: All cars that require a roll bar must use a 5-point SFI 16.1 driver restraint system equipped with a quick release system. Belts must be mounted to the frame or cross member or in a reinforced mounting point so that all connections are in a direct line with the direction of the pull. CARS REQUIRING A SFI 16.1 DRIVERS RESTRAINT System must HAVE THE BELTS updated 2 years FROM THE DATES STAMPED ON THE SFI BELT TAGS. Racing seat is required in all Pro Cars in Competition.
• PARACHUTES: Required for all cars exceeding 150 mph. Tech inspectors may inspect parachute for damage or wear at our discretion. Parachutes must be solidly mounted to frame and release housing must be no more than 12” from parachute pack and must be mounted in such a way to ensure smooth operation without failure. NOTE: New for 2006 any FWD car running in excess of 150 MPH on a run must pull the chute! If the driver doesn't pull the chute the run may be DQ'd. If you're not sure pull the chute anyway!

Modified by NDRATECH at 3:13 PM 12/8/2005
Old 12-08-2005, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 2006 NDRA Pro 4 Class Rules (NDRATECH)

Glenn, from the way i'm reading this, it looks like the cars can not be backhalved? Some of the cars that will probably end up in this class are already backhalved, and you can't really "undo" that. I think you should allow the same chassis/suspension rules as in "pro mod" (i like that name by the way), so the people can choose which class they want to run in if they're built around last years "pro 4" rules.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:08 AM

Default Re: 2006 NDRA Pro 4 Class Rules (tony1)

The rules are same as last year as far as the chassis and suspension and lot of the other stuff goes, I just used last years Pro 4 rules as a template and made the new changes.

CHASSIS & CERTIFICATION: Full tube chassis not allowed. All Cars must retain all stock flooring from back of front seats forward. Stock flooring can be removed behind front seats, in hatch area or trunk, but sheet metal must take its place in accordance with NHRA / IHRA specs

• SUSPENSION: Must use one shock per wheel. Coil-over shocks allowed. Wheelie bars allowed but wheels cannot be pre-loaded or touch the ground at the starting line. No cockpit adjustable, trigger switch activated or remote wheelie bar systems allowed. Stock functional shock towers, and lower control arm mountings must remain in both front and rear of car.

Old 12-08-2005, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"and lower control arm mountings must remain in both front and rear of car."

"backhalved" cars don't retain the factory mounting points in the rear except for the upper strut mounting.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:24 AM

Glenn, can we use all VP fuels like the VP Import gasoline offered at our local dealers. thank you
Old 12-08-2005, 07:46 AM

Default Re: 2006 NDRA Pro 4 Class Rules (tony1)

Tony you would be correct, we need to elaborate on that a little better huh?
Old 12-08-2005, 07:50 AM

Default Re: 2006 NDRA Pro 4 Class Rules (jerseykid609)

thank you, im retarded, i see now on the original post. duh?
thanks
Old 12-08-2005, 07:53 AM

Default Re: 2006 NDRA Pro 4 Class Rules (GOLDMEMBER)

Yea Eric, no cheater gas for you. Yet Just kidding everyone.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:55 AM

Default Re: 2006 NDRA Pro 4 Class Rules (jerseykid609)

Yay, we have rules! What happened to the 70 or 72mm turbo idea? Also, i thought we were looking at a one-power adder class? I'm ok with it i guess, don't get me wrong... just a couple of things i noticed that were major deviations from the 'proposed idea' thread.

to NDRA for trying to make things better for the industry and racing in the long run! I think this will bring a lot of cars out of hiding (like mine), and make for some VERY exciting racing.

<~~~ going outside to start working on getting my car ready
Old 12-08-2005, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2006 NDRA Pro 4 Class Rules (ComposiMo)

going outside to work on your car? screw that!! im freezing my nuts off in the shop. it cost me an extra 350 bucks on the electric bill to run the heat last month...so im just going to freeze for the rest of the winter.

are you alowed to run vp import in Turbo 4? iwas never sure on that. i just ran ghetto gas
Old 12-08-2005, 08:06 AM

Default Re: 2006 NDRA Pro 4 Class Rules (Turbo-charged)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">going outside to work on your car? screw that!! im freezing my nuts off in the shop.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, this IS FL... hehe

And by "outside", i meant the heated/ac'd shop... lol..

Actually, it is a nice day outside... we have the bay doors open, allowing the nice coolish air to circulate. It is a tad rainy and overcast though

I know, i should just shut up and go weld or something

As for the VP Import, i was under the impression that you could run it in T4, and many have... also, the Pro Street Tire class allows it. It technically is gas... it'd be nice to be able to run it, but it is kinda 'spensive (i think last time i checked it was about $23 per gallon or something insane like that).
Old 12-08-2005, 08:18 AM

Default Re: 2006 NDRA Pro 4 Class Rules (ComposiMo)

No you can't run VP Import in any class except for Pro Street Tire.

The Turbo Manufacturers dictated on the 72mm, that is not a shelf stock piece, so I did not want anyone to have to get a custon piece made. More Money is what we are trying to avoid here.
70mm and 74mm are shelf stock pieces, so I went with the 74mm so you guys are able to run faster. You can use anything under that, it is up to you.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool that saves me some money. how many people were using it last year? i know a few were
Old 12-08-2005, 08:34 AM
Better than steak

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NDRATECH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No you can't run VP Import in any class except for Pro Street Tire..</TD></TR></TABLE>
How would you know what fuel turbo 4 is running. All the guys from Utah ran alcohol and no one ever knew. Is Turbo Street going to have fuel checks now?
Old 12-08-2005, 08:54 AM

Default Re: 2006 NDRA Pro 4 Class Rules (Arturbo)

Basically asking for customers and friends but with the awd weight minimum at 1900 lbs and a 74 mm turbo will there be any larger turbo options for a 2500-2700 lb awd? Even a 76 mm would help. 1900 lb awd is not realistic.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:02 AM

Default Re: 2006 NDRA Pro 4 Class Rules (Arturbo)

I guess there will have to be since people feel they need to cheat to compete in a street class.

Shep, right now it is just 74mm and nitrous for those cars.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:12 AM

Default Re: 2006 NDRA Pro 4 Class Rules(Arturbo)

This is very very interesting.
Now how can you have a rule against anything if you never check.
There is alot of other stuff in turbo 4 that goes unchecked.

So you mean we can't mix the Alky with the gas 50/50? You sure?

Sean

Modified by IVEY at 1:44 PM 12/8/2005
Old 12-08-2005, 09:22 AM

Default Re: 2006 NDRA Pro 4 Class Rules(Arturbo) (IVEY)

The same way you can limit tire size and no Nitromethane.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:32 AM
Better than steak

Default Re: 2006 NDRA Pro 4 Class Rules(Arturbo) (NDRATECH)

btw, I was just kidding about the utah boyz..hehe
Old 12-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no methanol, there should be a 200 pd penalty for meth. car would only be legal nopi only, not any other series??
Old 12-08-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Re: 2006 NDRA Pro 4 Class Rules(Arturbo) (alternativechuck)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alternativechuck &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no methanol, there should be a 200 pd penalty for meth.</TD></TR></TABLE>

they kept the methanol for the Pro Mods
Old 12-08-2005, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NDRATECH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The same way you can limit tire size and no Nitromethane. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So are you going to be checking fuel or is NDRA just going to look the other way? Did you guys every check anyones fuel? Shouldn't that be standard practice especially when some runs a record time?
Old 12-08-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: 2006 NDRA Pro 4 Class Rules(Arturbo) (blitz118)

It is not a general practice to fuel check the Sportsman cars at an event, only the Pro cars.

But since so many are worried about the fuel, we will now check Sportsman cars for fuel, so if you don't have a fuel cell, be prepared to pull over and wait till we get done with the cell cars. We will have the tools for you to crack the fuel lines to get the fuel there or you can put a drain **** inline on the fuel line.

I guess we will also have to have a template of the Honda fenders to use as a go no go gauge on the wheelwell opening. Looks like it will take a little while after each run to return to the pits now, since everyone is worried about cheating.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=NDRATECH]
But since so many are worried about the fuel, we will now check Sportsman cars for fuel, so if you don't have a fuel cell, be prepared to pull over and wait till we get done with the cell cars. We will have the tools for you to crack the fuel lines to get the fuel there or you can put a drain **** inline on the fuel line.QUOTE]

ARe you serious? damm with all these rules i think street racing is looking better!! JOKING!!!
Old 12-08-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Re: 2006 NDRA Pro 4 Class Rules(Arturbo) (B18c1turboedEK)

I hate doing it to Sportsman racers, but with so many crying foul, what am I suppose to do?

The main problem I have with the whole fuel issue is this: If you think someone is running an illegal fuel, say something to the Tech Director or the Race Director at the events, not on a forum months after an event. Single the racers out, that way the whole group does not have to pay.

So there are two ways to do it in 2006. We can go off of the honor system and any questions, competitors come to me, or I can just have my tech staff do fuel, tires and turbos after each run. It is up to the competitors in the classes.

Quick Reply: 2006 NDRA Pro 4 Class Rules