Detailing Auto Detailing and Concours

Paint oxidation question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint oxidation question

Hello honda tech!

Okay So Im about to embark on my first ever real good cleaning of my Accord. Please keep in mind I'm a complete newb to using an electric buffer. However I dont think I have a choice in the matter. Judging by the pictures below is it possible to to get,what i presume is oxidation,out without having to use it? Talking with a few friends I became aware that I may be able to use 1500 to remove a large portion of it.

Any thoughts or suggestion are more than welcome! I'd love to hear your inputs and opinions!

TIA!

As you can see where the windshield moulding meets the rack trail its pretty bad.(IMO)

Also got this scratch from a blown out truck tire.

Again I'd love to hear some of your thoughts!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Paint oxidation question

honestly, wash it and wax it and be done. That needs a lot of correction and unless you know what your doing you can do more harm than good. Either pay someone to fix it or leave it. If you can get some test panels to practice on go for it. I used an old hood to practice a lot of techniques like wet sanding and such.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1.5Slowmatic
honestly, wash it and wax it and be done. That needs a lot of correction and unless you know what your doing you can do more harm than good. Either pay someone to fix it or leave it. If you can get some test panels to practice on go for it. I used an old hood to practice a lot of techniques like wet sanding and such.
cool. Thanks man. I may just wind up paying as you said. thanks for the input!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My roof and hood looks just like that. I was wondering the same thing. Guess Ill just live with it until I can get paint or get it fixed.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the scratches need to be wet sanded and buffed and the oxidation just needs to be properly buffed and polished via Rotary. and I would not recommend a newb to jump on a rotary buffer without supervision.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have similar damage to my roof and upper drip rails. I messed around with my PC with surprisingly good results. It won't come out perfect, because your clear looks thin and the paint itself has faded a little.

My car is Milano Red, and I was able to take out about 95% of the oxidation on the rails over the door/quarter window, and probably 70% on the roof itself, as the paint is too far gone. Not perfect by any means, but as good as it'll get with 15 year old, thinning single stage paint. The oxidation is gone, water etched marks out and the paint has a deeper reflection now. I don't want to try any harder on the roof because the paint is so thin.