Notices
Detailing Auto Detailing and Concours

Griot's Garage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Griot's Garage?

What do you guys think of there products? I got some of there machine polishes for X-mas and was wondering if any of you guys have tried any of there other products and had likes or dislikes.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Griot's Garage?

DeWalt >

Not sure what Griots carries, but I'm an enormous fan of DeWalts random orbital and rotary machines.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Griot's is great stuff. It is some of the best you can buy. Check out there website (search griot's garage in google/yahoo) to see what other stuff they carry. Did it come with the 'how to' book/dvd(not sure if they offer dvd) explaining what to do.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fergy016
Griot's is great stuff. It is some of the best you can buy. Check out there website (search griot's garage in google/yahoo) to see what other stuff they carry. Did it come with the 'how to' book/dvd(not sure if they offer dvd) explaining what to do.
Yeah I'm quite familiar with the website, I'd just never personally used any of there products. I can't wait till spring so I can actually use my X-mas gift. lol And no it didn't come with a how-to book
Old 12-29-2008, 06:52 PM
EPIC TUNING

Originally Posted by katzenjammer84
DeWalt >

Not sure what Griots carries, but I'm an enormous fan of DeWalts random orbital and rotary machines.
you realize that Groits is a polish company, right?

anyways, they seem to be really popular with the classic car guys. Id go with Menzerna but im sure its not too bad....
Old 01-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have used with great success... Griot's 6" random orbital, red wax pad, orange polishing pad, Machine Polish 3, Best of Show wax, Speed Shine, Clay, Power Clay backing pad, One step paint sealant, Bumper trim dye, maybe a few others I can't think of. Also the Book and DVD came in my kit and are fabulous. I would just buy the book though, not both.

Machine 3 is a mild polish just as it states, did great work with minor oxidation and cleaned paint up very well considering the state it was in. No regrets.

Best of Show wax had a nice, deep shine on my red car. It is daily driven, parked in the sun outside, and lost a good bit of shine around the 4 week mark. Still beaded water decent, just not as nice looking. I probably should try layering the wax, just never had a lot of spare time. I think the shien would last longer, but Griot's says not to use for dailys.

One Step sealant is my favorite for use on friends and parents cars. It cleans up paint well, and the sealant part is wonderful. 6 months on my mom's Honda Pilot and it still looks great. Will buy more and use this on every car other than my CRX which is my baby.

Clay is very sticky and hard to work with. Expensive too! With the use of the power clay backing pad, I love it. Just refuse to use it by hand as its so sticky and soft, even with the use of Speed Shine.

Speed shine is a great clay lube, but I dont like it as a quick detailer as it says to be used. Takes forever to wipe away, even used very sparingly. Meguiars quick detailer is better IMO.

Bumper trim dye is the **** for black trim. Lasts a long time and with properly cleaned and prepped trim, looks fabulous(like new) Will continue to use it on my vehicles.

Wax and polishing pads work good when used for exactly what Griot's tells you to. Obviously.

Random Orbital works good too. Fan cooled and never have any heat build up at all. Variably speed, dont regret getting it for Christmas (how I got most of this in one of their kits)

Now, I have decided I will be giving Optimum products a try. Get more for my dollar and have been given better reviews than Griot's. DONT frown on your new stuff though. You wont be dissapointed if you take the time for proper prep and are clean and do the right steps. I don't regret buying or using anything of theirs.

Here is a thread that has been put in the Detailing FAQ, a thread I started asking your same type of questions. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2423246

Ask any questions you have, I would gladly answer if I can.