Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

New on board

Old 08-02-2017, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default New on board

Not sure where to post but, a new member here on board with my new 1967 Honda S800 coupe acquired last month. Finally got to drive her for the first time and getting to know her a bit. Very impressed by this fifty year old lady compared to the other oldies I own now. I am located here in Yokohama, Japan and I have seen S800 only once before on the road.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2017, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New on board

Another shot.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2017, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Congratulations Jimmy on the purchase of the S800, there are several owners of early "S" cars on the site. Welcome and enjoy your S.

~Steven
Old 08-02-2017, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Steven, thanx.

I had no interest in domestic cars, let alone such micro cars...
Owning other more than adequate high spec'd cars, these other extremes are great contrast and pleasure to drive.
I started out searching for open S600 first but eventually settled for this S800 coupe model. To be honest, the styling was not exactly love at first sight, however, her appeal grew on me over the short period. Already owning several open tops, I figured this coupe would be a nice change and more practical. I am beginning to appreciate the virtues of coupe more. Considering this to be a 50 year old Japanese car, what an achievement by Mr. S. Honda ! Would ask questions and make reports as things move along.

Her history is not perfect but seems like she spent all her life in the UK and was repatriated back to Japan last year. There are roughly a dozen S models available in the market and having seen a few, this was the one chosen.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Attached Images  

Last edited by 288GTO; 08-02-2017 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spell
Old 12-30-2017, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great looking coupe Jimmy.
There are a few great resources for S cars in Yokohama, including an ex-Schuppan mechanic with good Honda S expertise and tools. Plus a few good parts suppliers.

Ping me if you want any tips and I'm regularly in Yokohama myself, so happy to meet too...

See ya!
Old 12-30-2017, 03:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Much obliged, Kuroneko. Still learning to get used to this S800. Very much enthused and enjoying the great high revving motor. The clutch work was another pleasant surprise.

For sure I would get in touch with you when I am in a bind. My S800 so far has not given any problems to mention so all is well.

The other domestic car that I got interested last year was the Datsun roadsters, mainly more for nostalgic reasons. And I thought my 1965 Datsun 1600 was like a bike, I suppose S800 is more true to that character with her high revving motor and Keihin carbs.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Attached Images    
Old 12-30-2017, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great looking Datsun roadster Jimmy, enjoyed the pictures.

~ Steven
Old 12-30-2017, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Steven. A few more here.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Attached Images    
Old 01-25-2018, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What nice and clean Coupe! Very lovely. I guess the restoration took place in Japan?

I specially like the rear bumper-horns you rarely see on S800s. You donīt have any for the front?

Do you know when the side markers on the front fenders were added? I never saw these neither on British nor on Japanese cars. They remind me of the little lights the Italians put to the front fenders, only they are positioned in front of the wheels...

Have fun with your little gem. Mark
Old 01-25-2018, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello Mark. Here's what I can share. As you see, this is a RHD and I presume she has spent much of her life in the UK from the papers I have. She was reimported to Japan about a year ago and soon I acquired this S800 from a small dealer in Osaka.
Those rear horns are not requirements here in Japan and my understandings that these are more UK rules (?).
As for the restorations, based on the UK papers and MOTs, were done in the UK. Overall, pretty good but not quite perfect. There are details that could be better. Upon acquisition, the only maintenance performed so far has been the brakes. Otherwise, she is quite happy.

Here's some datas: 1967 Honda S800 Coupe; reg number in UK was NRR 875F; MOT test certificate with exp date of June 06, 2013 performed at Warrenby Motors 61A York Rd., Redcar TS10 5AJ; last owner in UK was Jeffrey Fox in Redcar with reg number of NRR 875F; prior owner was Jim Martin of Eston Middlesbrough from May 1999 ~ Dec 2009; reimported to Japan by Hisashi Wada of Osaka, Japan and registered here on February 07, 2017;
Chassis# 1003132, Engine# 1005664
Maintenance papers in UK done at Sherwood Garage of Birmingham.

Hope this helps.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Old 01-25-2018, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Jimmy for the excellent information.

I found a pic of your car in my archive which is said to be taken 2012:
Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2018, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, Mark. Indeed that must be this car. Thanks so much. Great to see glimpse of her past under previous owner's care. Seems like he took good care under his stewardship. Great photo too.

I am totally new to Honda so still learning things to appreciate this car.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Old 01-25-2018, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jimmy with your cars previous stint in England you might want to check out this site. In fact you may be able to find out more of your cars history through members on there. Good luck, the now closed Sherwood Motors in England was one of the better repair facilities so that may be why your car is still in great condition.

Honda S800 Sports Car Club - Home

~Steven
Old 01-25-2018, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello Steven. Thank you so much for the suggestions. I would do so as recommended.

I was aware that Sherwood is gone but great to hear of your comment regarding their reputation.
There are few things that seems strange considering it was in the UK for a long time but overall they seem to be minor issues.

I have compared with other few cars available here in Japan but made up my mind when I went to see this car.

Just another note regarding my search is that I was looking for S600 roadster first and was not too keen on coupe model. However, upon doing some research regarding the cars, Coupe model became a viable option for me.

Thanks again Steven.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Old 01-26-2018, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Beautiful car! I hope mine will look that good when its 50. It sure doesn't today at 38!
Old 01-26-2018, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanx Mike. Indeed, not bad for a lady past 50.

w/ smiles,
Jimmy
Old 02-24-2018, 10:30 PM
KJM
Trial User

Hi Jimmy
I just found your thread here. The car you have was owned by my father, Jim Martin, for many years. Sadly he passed away last New Yers Eve at the age of 89.

I am now sorting his garage and have found a few spare parts that may be useful to you.If you can let me know if you are interested we can see if we can get them to you. I also have a few old photos of the cr being restored that you may like as well as some old magazines from the UK S800 club, "Revs" that my dad collected.

Kevin Martin
Old 02-24-2018, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KJM View Post
Hi Jimmy
I just found your thread here. The car you have was owned by my father, Jim Martin, for many years. Sadly he passed away last New Yers Eve at the age of 89.

I am now sorting his garage and have found a few spare parts that may be useful to you.If you can let me know if you are interested we can see if we can get them to you. I also have a few old photos of the cr being restored that you may like as well as some old magazines from the UK S800 club, "Revs" that my dad collected.

Kevin Martin
Hello Kevin,

First of all, I thank you for contacting me and letting me know of your father as the owner. I am pleasantly surprised and excited to know.

Saying that, I am sorry to hear of your father's passing so recent. However, looking at the bright side, he must have lived a fulfilling and long life as we all wish to do the same.

That would be great if you are willing to arrange your offers of passing on the items and literatures, if you can. That would be great to keep everything together with this lovely car.
I do not mind doing the rest openly or if you wish to continue via regular email, that is fine also.

As I mentioned earlier, I bought your father's car last April. The car was advertised by this small, independent dealer located in Kobe, Japan which is located around 525km southwest from Yokohama/Tokyo where I reside. I made the appointment to see the car, took the bullet train to there and basically bought the car after inspection. Most dealers here do not let you test drive so it was all visual inspection. I am no expertise in this but I know what I like when I see one. There were few minor issues but overall, she was a splendid S800. ( I can keep on but suffice to say that the deal was done then and there). She came with about a dozen maintenance papers in UK. No other informations were available. Did some online searching but no luck there either. And now I hear from you and that makes me very happy man.

Let me send you a PM with my contact informations and we can continue the conversation here openly or privately if you wish. I do not mind either way. Maybe other members here would be interested too. I do not know.

Kevin, I thank you again for coming forward and letting me know of your father as the owner. Much obliged.

w/ smiles
Jimmy