Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

just really curious...

Old 12-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just really curious...

if i were to purchase a 1986 honda civic hatchback, what kind of motor would fit in it.[perfect fit] B series of course. i checked 1stgen.com but its too old the models and i want a old skool hatch. everyone got ef, eg, ek, ep and so forth. i want a 86..what would that be called..2nd gen?
Old 12-15-2008, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are gen III Civics and B-series dont bolt rite in. Check www.redpepperracing.com for your swap needs.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdmda7
They are gen III Civics and B-series dont bolt rite in. Check www.redpepperracing.com for your swap needs.
thank man..had no idea...
Old 12-19-2008, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BEATurBOYS
if i were to purchase a 1986 honda civic hatchback, what kind of motor would fit in it.[perfect fit] B series of course. i checked 1stgen.com but its too old the models and i want a old skool hatch. everyone got ef, eg, ek, ep and so forth. i want a 86..what would that be called..2nd gen?
Yeah, you need to LIVE on the search engine at redpepperracing.com for the next couple of weeks. It's the 3rd gen bible!

Great group of guys over there. They will help you build any 84-87 civic/crx right.

There are quite a few guys doing b16 swaps over there. However, before you dump oodles of money and time into a b series swap (engine, tranny, mounts, WIRING and fuel-line re-routing from a carb. car to a fuel injection set-up (if your not FI already) is NOT cheap NOR easy, ECU, etc...) consider and research these options:

(1) Stick with your stock d15 engine. It actually has a lot of hidden potential. Bolt-on's like headers and ignition, etc..., ARE available for these engines, they are just a little harder to come by. They are constantly for sale on rpr, so just check the classifieds regularly.

HOWEVER, the main sectret to getting power out of these engines is in porting/polishing and getting more flow out of the head. These engines have been known to push 120+ horsepower, NA, with a good amount of head work. I know 120 doesn't sound like a lot, but considering the engines came with around 90 hp, that's a substantial percentage increase.
Though I am no expert by any means, I believe the rods are fairly strong in the block. With a few upgrades to the block, these engines can be turbocharged to 200+ hp!! No need for a swap, wiring, etc... Less headache, and still keep the "old school" feel.

I believe that a lot of people think that dropping a b-series into their car will give the bay that tough look too. Sure it will, this is true. However, consider what your bay would look like if your current engine was meticulously cleaned/painted, etc.., valve cover w/ fresh paint, new wires, ..... That little D can look TOUGH, and run strong! There is a guy named "Sgt Pepper" on RPR. Man, his bay looks SWEET! Check his thread out here: http://www.redpepperracing.com/forum...howtopic=26729

or

(2) Swap to a D16a1 (or JDM ZC, same engine, more "goodies"); this engine comes out of a 86-89 Acura Integra. They are DOHC engines, like the B series, minus Vtec though. Best part, they bolt right in! They came in the higher-end Euro and JDM hatches during the 80's, so they still "suite the era". These are AWESOME engines!!!! Especially the ZC. They are a great platform, b/c there is SOOO much room to port in the head. They make strong NA engines, and can be fitted with Suzuki Vitara pistons (same bore size, lower compression to 8:1), a cometic head gasket, and arp studs, and turbo'd to 300+ hp, with properly build NA set-ups pushing towards almost 200 hp!!

So, who needs a B-series?!

Keep it simple, keep it old school.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your build!

Last edited by OG Wagon; 12-19-2008 at 04:56 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default RE: OG Wagon

^ It is nice to have new comer on this board that has such vas knowdlege about Honda car and best of all it make sense. Good to have you here.