Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

gut to stuff!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 gut to stuff!!!!

I have an 89 Accord DX I don't want the A series, B series, the H series has been done and I've heard of an F series. What I really want to do is the J series, J35A4. I know it won't be cheap and it'll take alot of specail modifications but, this is what i'm looking at.
I want to know what does everyone think and do you have any advice and tips in helping me make this happen.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gut to stuff!!!!

Do you have a fab shop and fab skills?
Old 09-03-2009, 11:27 AM

No I need to find a good fab shop but, I do have some fab skills. Many because I use to build Classic Muscle Cars. Did most of my own customizations. Left all that ten yrs ago and now wanting to get into Import Tuners.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Main problem with that J engine is its size. The H-motor is a bitch to get into these accords, and the J is even bigger. Good luck to you though, i'd love to see this pan out. 3geez.com is THE source of 3rd gen accord information.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He tried 3geez and got like 4 threads locked. Cos he didn't read the FAQs. lolflocopter.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by codebreaker
I have an 89 Accord DX I don't want the A series, B series, the H series has been done and I've heard of an F series. What I really want to do is the J series, J35A4. I know it won't be cheap and it'll take allot of special modifications but, this is what I'm looking at.
I want to know what does everyone think and do you have any advice and tips in helping me make this happen.
The hood will never fit so keep that in mind.
I'd say completely gut the engine bay set the j in align the axles and fab up some braces to keep the engine/axles aligned and start fabing mounts.

sound's easy.... but it wont be.
the axles will have to be custom fit as well as shift linkage and cable to hyd clutch conversion.
you'll have nightmares with getting the exhaust to snake around the stock cross members.

theres probably a bunch of other things i am missing but you get the idea.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:35 AM

Yes I have had 2 threads on 3geez shut down. I'm use to classic muscle cars not foreign cars like this. Yes I read the FAQ and find most of them very argumentative. I'm looking to Just put the best engine that can give me the most power I can get without twisting the car in half.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:09 AM

I'm just wanting to do a swap that is unique because lots of people put b-series in these cars. i understand that there will be a ton of mods that will need done but, thats what rebuilding is all about. That is my personal opinion. most swaps for this car are mods now anyway because mounts have to be made. Also the fact is you can't just drop in an engine and go. It all has to be done. Engine,Tranny, Drive-train, Suspension, Body Mods, Brakes to stop, Electrical mods need to be done as well. My thought is if someone is going to put the wrench time and money to rebuild a whole car why do the same old thing. Make it your own masterpiece. I don't have tons of money but, I'm planing on this to take several years to complete because of that. Now, I'm working on research to plan what I'm going to need and how much it will all cost me. Building cars is not cheap and one should not expect perfection if they can't spend and learn at the same time. These are only my opinions and I'm just looking for poeple that are willing to honestly help me. I'm one person and can only look up so much stuff at once. When I find something new I ask. I don't feel that is wrong in anyway. People don't learn if we don't ask the questions. I have resources and others my have more or different ones but, if we all get together and ask questions and share what we found out then we all learn something.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't get the whole "I'm used to domestics" thing... If you can work on a car, most of the same principles apply. The engines work the same way. Swapping engines back and forth work the same way. If you want to put an LS1 in an old muscle car that doesn't have a mount kit, guess what, you have to fab mounts. The same goes for Hondas. There are currently NO SWAPS for the 3g Accord that bolt in.

The only way you're going to know what fits is to get a pen and paper, and start taking some measurements. See how much room you have in the engine bay. See where the framerails and possible mount locations are, and go start looking at engines in cars and bring that tape measure with you. You'll need to see what the engine you want needs in order to run, and figure out how to put all that stuff in the Accord.

If you want to do something different, you're going to probably have to figure out everything yourself. Because different means that nobody else has it, so nobody is going to have your answers.

So you're looking to get "the most power you can get..." Well how hard is that really to find out? Google is your friend, start looking up horsepower specs for cars. If you're looking to keep a certain price point, search eBay and Craigslist and cross-reference the power numbers with your price until you come across something you want.

Nothing you put in the car is going to "twist the chassis apart" It's FWD, so if anything happens you're going to break an engine mount. So unless you convert to RWD it's not going to matter what engine you stuff in there.

If you're just looking for one answer, well you're **** out of luck. There is no one answer with the most power. You can get a transverse V8 and drop it in from some GM car if you want 350hp. You can put a V6 from a Legend or whatever you want in it... It will probably all be the same amount of work realistically... If you want a quick, FWD car that you can build easily, you've got the wrong car. You need a Civic.

What this all comes down to is, you need to ask more specific questions and not such general stuff as "wut do i do for fast honda." And research as much as you can on your own. We're all only one person, and it's a lot of work researching but if you want fast and easy answers, again, you need a Civic. Everything about the Accord itself IS on 3geez. If you want ideas that have been done, they're all there. If you want things that haven't been done, guess what, they aren't there because they haven't been done and nobody will have the answers. You sometimes have to find out for yourself. It will be hard, expensive, painful and will suck *** a lot of times.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What did the J series come in?