Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

1987 Crx Distibutor or Timing Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Crx Distibutor or Timing Problem?

WHATS UP HT!

CAR:
1987 Honda Crx (1.5L) FI SOHC (d15a3)

yett again i find myself comming here to find help and answers, please keep the negative comments and or other BS out THANKS!

ok so first off, i purchased this about 4 months ago, when i purchased it, it had a new fuel pump that was just put on, and the gas line that hooked up from the pump to the main fuel line was a little short, so if i turned the car at a certain angle it would leak fuel from where it was connected to the fuel pump, and supposedly it had its belts changed as well

HOWEVER

for 4 months i have had the car stored in an airport hanger and have been making sure the car has started up almost every other day, and it had 1st crank every time no problems, ran good, idle was a bit low at times, but drove fine, no problems

so about a week ago i decided to change the 4in hose, i raised the rear of the car up on stands and fixed the hose, routed it good, made sure everything was tight and re wired everything right back there, and it was, i turned the key onto the on position a few times to make sure the fuel pump was turing on and pumping, which it was, everything was good, until i cranked the key, it turned over and everything was working, starter, fuel pump, was getting spark through the coil, but not through the wires, where it touched the plugs, but now it wont start, and i didnt do anything but change the damn 4in hose

so i started by replacing the plugs, when i took them out they were black as night haha so i put new ones in, still wont start

then i replaced the cap and rotor which wasnt too bad, still wont start,

do any of you think the wires could be shot? they look pretty old and beat, and i know for a fact the coil is giving spark, and the distributor is turning the rotor, but i ordered new wires, just got them but havent put them on

THEY LOOK NOTHING LIKE WHATS ON THE CAR NOW BTW, could this be the problem?

i also seem to think it could be the timing perhaps? previous owner said it was replaced, looks pretty new, and its tight but when i sprayed a little starting fluid in the intake and cranked it, it backfired

thats all i have for now, if any of you care to put your input or 2 cents in, that would be greatly appreciated, you guys have always helped in the past

Old 09-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1987 Crx Distibutor or Timing Problem?

update

put the new wires on, it started up for like a second, or a rev or 2 then shut down?