Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

What alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What alarm?

I am getting a 6th Gen Accord from my Step dad. I will be swapping accords with him, my current one is a Gen 5. I was super excited, to the point of putting together a list of things I want to do, and found parts, and priced it all out (Koni STR.T, H&R Sports Springs, Spyder Altezza Tail lights, new wheels, etc). Then I get reminded by a member in my family, that I would want an alarm on the car. It will be my DD for college and summer/ spring breaks

I am lost of what alarm to get. I know the difference of 1-way vs 2-way, however I do not know which one I should get. I have been thinking about a 2-way, but the ones at best buy ranges from, with installation included:

$399 Viper Responder LE 5806V Remote Start and Security System & Geek Squad Installation - Best Buy

to

$499 Viper Responder LC3 5706V 2Way Remote Start and Security System & Geek Squad Installation - Best Buy

Should I bother for the LCD? Should I even bother with the 2-way? Are there better places to look than bestbuy? I live in the Seattle-Tacoma, Washington area of the pacific NW.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What alarm?

You can spend a ton of money and have a poor installation and it will be the same as a $30 alarm. Its all in the install, an alarm by itself won't stop them from taking it, but it will slow them down. Use layers, alarm and multiple kill switches and maybe even a GPS tracker.

I wouldn't trust the guys at bestbuy, they want you in and out as fast as possible.

That being said, two way pagers are cool until they get disabled. That's exactly what happened to mine and it litteraly took them seconds to take the car.

Good luck and don't trust an alarm by itself.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by king06
I wouldn't trust the guys at bestbuy, they want you in and out as fast as possible.
That's any shop, doing any service lol. Plenty of good installers at Best Buys, plenty of hacks as well. At least they are moving towards all installers needing to be MECP certified before touching a car.

Like king06 mentioned, it's definitely in the install. Alarms are deterrents, not guarantees that your car won't be taken. The best alarm for you does two things, deterred a would be thief and or alerts you that something is going on and gives you the opportunity to take action.(Like call the police with a plate number of a get-away car.....because running out with a bat in your underwear is not safe right ).

If your car will spend 75% of it's time right next to where you live..........don't worry about getting a 2-way alarm.....it's not going to protect your car any better than a 1-way. If you park a block or so away, that two way may or may not go off when the alarm is triggered when you factor "interference" from things like trees, cars, buildings, etc. If it's pretty wide open and you don't live in a 10 story dorm building or something, you may be good.

It costs a bit more, but I would check out Directed's SmartStart which works with your smart phone, or a similar one from another manufacturer
Directed SmartStart - SmartStart

I have it on my car and it works great. Basically you are alerted by text/notifications on your phone if there is an issue with your car. It gives you the ability to lock/unlock or remote start(if equipped) from your phone, anywhere as long as you have cell signal. I love it.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MotoCARR
That's any shop, doing any service lol. Plenty of good installers at Best Buys, plenty of hacks as well. At least they are moving towards all installers needing to be MECP certified before touching a car.

Like king06 mentioned, it's definitely in the install. Alarms are deterrents, not guarantees that your car won't be taken. The best alarm for you does two things, deterred a would be thief and or alerts you that something is going on and gives you the opportunity to take action.(Like call the police with a plate number of a get-away car.....because running out with a bat in your underwear is not safe right ).

If your car will spend 75% of it's time right next to where you live..........don't worry about getting a 2-way alarm.....it's not going to protect your car any better than a 1-way. If you park a block or so away, that two way may or may not go off when the alarm is triggered when you factor "interference" from things like trees, cars, buildings, etc. If it's pretty wide open and you don't live in a 10 story dorm building or something, you may be good.

It costs a bit more, but I would check out Directed's SmartStart which works with your smart phone, or a similar one from another manufacturer
Directed SmartStart - SmartStart

I have it on my car and it works great. Basically you are alerted by text/notifications on your phone if there is an issue with your car. It gives you the ability to lock/unlock or remote start(if equipped) from your phone, anywhere as long as you have cell signal. I love it.
Would you say get the $400 one for now then upgrade to smart start in the future then?
Old 05-29-2015, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ALDJ253
Would you say get the $400 one for now then upgrade to smart start in the future then?
To be honest, the Avital is a great unit. I do a TON of them, have great range, and is SmartStart compatible.

Avital 2Way LCD Remote Start with Security Multi AVI5303L - Best Buy
Old 05-29-2015, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To be honest, the Avital is a great unit. I do a TON of them, have great range, and is SmartStart compatible.

Avital 2Way LCD Remote Start with Security Multi AVI5303L - Best Buy
That looks like a good security system, however the pricing for install brings it around 300
Old 05-29-2015, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by king06
That being said, two way pagers are cool until they get disabled. That's exactly what happened to mine and it litteraly took them seconds to take the car.
What happened? They just unplugged the alarm control unit? Where did you have it located?
Old 05-29-2015, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by paco_sinbad
What happened? They just unplugged the alarm control unit? Where did you have it located?
Bump. Bit curious too. how did they disable it? or where you just out of range?
Old 05-29-2015, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I find this quite odd.... BestBuy is confusing.

ON their packages with Geek Squad installation, they have the Viper 5904V with install for $739

Viper Responder 5904V HD 2Way Security and Remote Start System & Geek Squad Installation - Best Buy

HOWEVER, without installation included they sell the Viper 5906v for $349.79.

Directed Electronics, Inc 5906V - Best Buy

If installation is only $199 Geek Squad Security System, Remote Start and Keyless Entry Installation Hardware Not Included DIGI ALARM - Best Buy I would be paying $550 for the better model, correct? Because if this is truly only $50 more than the blue LCD one for $499, I would probably be going with this one.

Or would the Compustar for $550 be better? I hear more good things about Viper and other DEi products than Compustar. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/compusta...99240400050004
Old 05-30-2015, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paco_sinbad
Bump. Bit curious too. how did they disable it? or where you just out of range?
The alarm was installed behind the gauge cluster, everything was soldered no wires could be seen under the dash, except the ignition and those where soldered and heat shrinked and wrapped in tape. We got the car back and nothing was cut, nothing was taken apart everything was in its place. Only thing that was odd was the antenna wire was fried. We got another antenna and it would not work, so we have no clue how they did it? Maybe an installer can shine some light on the subject.

I was in my living room car was on the drive way and alarm was a viper 5901.

Op, look for a reputable installer, I remember a local installer would charge around $200 for a full stealth install. If you pay $500-600 and you can see the brain when you check your under dash fuses, you are going to be pissed.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I left the best Info up top and really its still the same.....except mobile iq gps tracking is now air iq..........and ps........smart start sucks as a tracking unit.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater
I left the best Info up top and really its still the same.....except mobile iq gps tracking is now air iq..........and ps........smart start sucks as a tracking unit.
My current Accord has a 1-way security (oh boy do I wish it was 2-way). I had it installed by Best buy. Is there a way to check how well or how much of a stealth jobthey did? Where would I look? Behind steering wheel column, and behind glove box? And if not there, it is assumed behind/in the dash right?
Old 05-30-2015, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=wrx-killer-Sti-eater;50372489]I left the best Info up top and really its still the same.....except mobile iq gps tracking is now air iq..........and ps........smart start sucks as a I am going to check out Foss Car Audio and see what they have. Have you heard any good news about them over bestbuy?

EDIT: Nevermind. A lot of negative reviews for the one near me. Guess Best buy is my choice... lol

Last edited by ALDJ253; 05-30-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:32 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

I would go with either an Avital or Prestige 2-way. I've installed both and they work great. Viper 2-way is nice but had issues on some of their alarms.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater
This^

Stealth alarm install, multiple kill switches, interior sirens.

Also visit this site for more info on Stealth alarm installs: How to install a car alarm. DIY car theft security for Honda and Acura, especially DEI brand Viper products.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I went to this place near my house that wasn't best buy or car toys.

I got the

For 1 mile range security plus remote start it is the 5706v
$820 plus 100 per add on

I can get the same one, but not have them install the remote start part, and have the 1 mile range for $620 plus 100 for each addon/sensor

Or I can get just get the 2-way alarm, not a 1/4 mile range for $400 plus 100 per add on

And when it comes down to it, Seattle buildings and concrete areas and people will kill that 1 mile range in half or less being that the 1 mile range is a straight line no onstructions.

What to do, what to do

And btw, I got an 04 Acura TSX NEVER saw that part coming
Old 06-24-2015, 02:24 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

I went to this place near my house that wasn't best buy or car toys.

I got the

For 1 mile range security plus remote start it is the 5706v
$820 plus 100 per add on

I can get the same one, but not have them install the remote start part, and have the 1 mile range for $620 plus 100 for each addon/sensor

Or I can get just get the 2-way alarm, not a 1/4 mile range for $400 plus 100 per add on

And when it comes down to it, Seattle buildings and concrete areas and people will kill that 1 mile range in half or less being that the 1 mile range is a straight line no onstructions.

What to do, what to do

And btw, I got an 04 Acura TSX NEVER saw that part coming

Damn....that price is hella steep. Perhaps I may need to charge more for my installs. LOL
Old 06-24-2015, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
Damn....that price is hella steep. Perhaps I may need to charge more for my installs. LOL
Same here LOL.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Same here LOL.
Soooo, I checked Best Buy.

Same 5706 with remote start installed for $620 plus taxes.... and the other add-ons are basically 80 to 90 each installed...

Do I go with best buy? I mean, I had a 1 way $200 alarm installed on my 94 accord through them. I didn't have a bad experience, however it seems others have.

Or are there any other places here in Washington that would be worth the look. My area code is 98446. I have no problem driving about 2 hours or so if the deal is worth it.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:32 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Same 5706 with remote start installed for $620 plus taxes.... and the other add-ons are basically 80 to 90 each installed...

Do I go with best buy? I mean, I had a 1 way $200 alarm installed on my 94 accord through them. I didn't have a bad experience, however it seems others have.

Or are there any other places here in Washington that would be worth the look. My area code is 98446. I have no problem driving about 2 hours or so if the deal is worth it.
Go to an independent shop or to someone who does installs on the side. Make sure to check for references. If his car looks like he's been living in it and wires all over the place, don't even bother. An installer's personal car says a lot about their quality of work.

The last time I had an alarm installed on my car by a shop, the installer put the alarm module right under the dash. Way too damn easy for a theft to rip it out and off he goes with your car.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not all Best Buys are hacks.....look for reviews and ask around local. To NVTurbo's point, also take a peek in the install bay at their toolboxes. The less shiney and more sticker clad boxes the better
Old 06-26-2015, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Go to an independent shop or to someone who does installs on the side. Make sure to check for references. If his car looks like he's been living in it and wires all over the place, don't even bother. An installer's personal car says a lot about their quality of work.

The last time I had an alarm installed on my car by a shop, the installer put the alarm module right under the dash. Way too damn easy for a theft to rip it out and off he goes with your car.
Not all Best Buys are hacks.....look for reviews and ask around local. To NVTurbo's point, also take a peek in the install bay at their toolboxes. The less shiney and more sticker clad boxes the better
So after talking to the guy down at Audio Tech in Lakewood, they apparently do price matching. So I am going to Best Buy today to get the 5706v priced on one sheet, then the same thing plus the Back up battery installed quote. Still can't decide though, Best buy, or audio tech. time for some local research.

However only things I can find online about Audio Tech are 3 reviews from, more than a year ago, and one on yelp from a long time ago too.

The bad ones that I see for Best Buy are mainly the customer service on the sales floor, which I have experienced myself, and I actually don't mind it. Sometimes I like looking at things without someone bugging me about what I should get and stuff.

Audio Tech
10516 Bridgeport Way SW, Lakewood, WA 98499

Best Buy
4102 S Meridian Puyallup, WA

EDIT: After going to Best Buy and getting a price quote for the installer, I was talking to him about the install. He seemed like he was going to do a good job, just want to get this specific installer for the job I think I found it out :D

Last edited by ALDJ253; 06-26-2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So after talking to the guy down at Audio Tech in Lakewood, they apparently do price matching. So I am going to Best Buy today to get the 5706v priced on one sheet, then the same thing plus the Back up battery installed quote. Still can't decide though, Best buy, or audio tech. time for some local research.

However only things I can find online about Audio Tech are 3 reviews from, more than a year ago, and one on yelp from a long time ago too.

The bad ones that I see for Best Buy are mainly the customer service on the sales floor, which I have experienced myself, and I actually don't mind it. Sometimes I like looking at things without someone bugging me about what I should get and stuff.

Audio Tech
10516 Bridgeport Way SW, Lakewood, WA 98499

Best Buy
4102 S Meridian Puyallup, WA

EDIT: After going to Best Buy and getting a price quote for the installer, I was talking to him about the install. He seemed like he was going to do a good job, just want to get this specific installer for the job I think I found it out :D
Plus, in the unfortunate event something does happen, I promise you(from experience) it will be easier getting resolution from Best Buy than from a local shop. Even if you have to go to the corporate level. I would see it all the time "Sorry, not our fault", end of story, leaving you stuck holding the bag and if you wanted to go further, like reporting to the BBB or suing them, it's all on you.

For peace of mind, I'd go with Best Buy.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Plus, in the unfortunate event something does happen, I promise you(from experience) it will be easier getting resolution from Best Buy than from a local shop. Even if you have to go to the corporate level. I would see it all the time "Sorry, not our fault", end of story, leaving you stuck holding the bag and if you wanted to go further, like reporting to the BBB or suing them, it's all on you.

For peace of mind, I'd go with Best Buy.
Alright ^.^ Going to go there and set the appointment today! Only if the right installer is there though.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Only if the right installer is there though.
That's the key!