Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

USB library data problem (2012 Ody)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 USB library data problem (2012 Ody)

I've encountered a problem with the music database built from a USB drive on my 12 Ody, no RES, no NAV. I've determined that the database is built from the MP3 tags in the music files (does not pay any attention to folder/file names). That's all fine.
But I have several albums of songs that, when loaded into the database, each song appears to be in a different album, all of which have the same name! So when doing a search/browse, I see the same album name replicated N times, once for each song in the album. (each album has only one song in it)
In one case, the genre was the same as the album name and I thought that might a factor - but changing the genre on all songs did not fix it. This must be something odd in the MP3 tags and/or how the entertainment system processes them but I'm at a loss to figure it out.
Hoping that someone here may have seen something similar and have some ideas on how to resolve this.
Thanks!
Toby
Old 09-24-2017, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: USB library data problem (2012 Ody)

Okay, I figured it out. Each combination of Artist + Album is considered a unique album! The CD in question was a Windham Hill collection so each song was a different artist. So the indexing software uses Artist tag (not Album Artist tag which in this case was 'Various' on all the tracks). So if you have an album titled "Hits" of 12 tracks with 6 tracks by Fred and 6 tracks by Mary - you'll get 2 albums shown on the display, both with the title "Hits", one of which will contain Fred's tracks, the other Mary's, and no way to distinguish between the albums. I guess this was done to handle all the albums titled "Greatest Hits" but not showing any additional info when displaying the album title was pretty short sighted, IMHO.
Anyway, now that I know what it's doing, I can use a tagging program (like MP3Tag) to control the tags and have the albums display the way I want.
Thanks for listening!
Toby
Old 10-03-2017, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: USB library data problem (2012 Ody)

Me too, sometimes encountered an error when connecting the usb to the car to listen to music ... now invest 32G USB .. listen to music comfortably ...