Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Sub wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 07:48 PM
Master H Technician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub wiring

OK... I have 2 RF-HX2 10" subs... They are 4ohmx2 DVC subwoofers... Thats the basics... My amp only wnat to run 4 ohms in bridged mode before it begins to heat up and even cuts off occasionally... Now, my enoclosure is 2 seperate sealed chambers in a box... I am thinking about running it stereo mode so I cna run each sub at 2ohms over the 8 ohm load I get with both on mono mode wired in parallel... I've checked my options again and again... I think this is the way to go... My question now(takes all that info to get the the question, lol) is will this setup be ok and run nicely... My amp runs 2 ohm stereo nicely... Will there be any cancellation between the subs when they start to hit seperately that will cause distorition or any other problems? Let me repeat, the chambers are seperate... I am kinda worried about that... My other problem is somehow! i blew my rca outputs from my HU... I had sub outputs that sent a mono signal, but am worried that the rear RCA's will send 2 seperate signals cause thats how its wired now... And one last thing, can I fix my blown RCA's, how, and how could I actually blow em... Their preout is like 4wats... SO LOW...
Old 03-18-2003, 10:11 PM
New User

Default Re: Sub wiring (JTCdudeman)

Stereo should sound fine.

RCA's just die sometimes. Heat, moisture, getting crushed. I would just purchase new ones.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:31 AM
Master H Technician

Default Re: Sub wiring (vteg)

How can I purchase new ones w/o purchasing a new HU? You think I cna just remove those RCA outs and solder in new ones and it will work again? I think it fried the chip in that area too somehow...

There should be no cancelation problems right? THNX
Old 03-19-2003, 07:45 AM
JOMO

How can I purchase new ones w/o purchasing a new HU? You think I cna just remove those RCA outs and solder in new ones and it will work again? I think it fried the chip in that area too somehow...

There should be no cancelation problems right? THNX
your rca wires are built into your h/u?????
Old 03-19-2003, 07:49 AM
Master H Technician

Default Re: Sub wiring (JOMO)

Ya... Yours are two.. I think you guys misunderstood what exactly I meant by that... Its my HU OUTPUTS... When you say that it leaves it open to so many things... If you specify by saying RCA its more specific... And yes, I do have outputs that come out abuot 3" for some reason w/ female connectors for my RCA cables... But, the one that comes out is sub only and my rear and front outputs are in the back of the HU... It kinda just gives more length and adjustability I GUESS...
Old 03-19-2003, 12:16 PM
New User

OH! Sorry I misunderstood. I would cut them and solder/crimp new ones on. You have to try to determine where the problem is though. I would look for a pinch. You may have to open the case and replace the whole thing if the short is at the opening coming from the hu's case.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you didn't have a good ground on the sub amp and your amp was pulling current through the RCA Ground. Check your ground on your amp to make sure you have a good clean connection. Did you hear any alternator whining when the car was on?
Old 03-19-2003, 05:16 PM
New User

Default Re: Sub wiring (nsxxtreme)

Sounds like you didn't have a good ground on the sub amp and your amp was pulling current through the RCA Ground.
I learn something new everyday
Old 03-19-2003, 08:46 PM
Master H Technician

Default Re: Sub wiring (nsxxtreme)

Well.. Thats what I figured I had done, but there was no whine at all... Now, w/ no sub ro amp there was a whine today on radio only during accelration and that worries me... alternator going? It was very soft and kinda sounded like a jet noise but barely audible... I also had a runin with an unhooked sunrrof drain and power antenna being submerged... I guess tomorrow I will see...
Old 03-20-2003, 12:56 AM
New User

If it only happens at low volume could it be the rca's picking up noise.

My car seems to have this problem when I turn the volume to 0 I can hear it. My rca's are not in optimal locations, too close to power. And they are cheap rca's anyway.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:12 AM
Master H Technician

Default Re: Sub wiring (vteg)

Lets c... Well my amps are out of the car.... I dont think that has anythign to do wiht it... But its the same problem... really low volume...just a bit of jet engine churning during acceleration... KINDA COOl actually... Sounds like the cars fats as hell.... I think it was the water though... Dried it up and havent heard it since....