Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Sub recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sub recomendations

Well, some how I blew my old sub, don't know how, it was well under the rated RMS, and it broke when i wasn't even using it, i think it broke due to being tossed around, but i haven't had a chance to check it out. either way, I am going to need a new sub...

Currently I have an Orion P12D4 sub, in a small, ~1 cu. Ft. box. I love this sub, great sounding, good response and bumps real good in a small box. It is powered by an alpine mono amp, MRP-M350 350 W RMS at 2 ohms.

I am looking for a new sub, and i would like to stick with a small box, although i will make a new box depending on the requirements of the sub. It has to either be a DVC 4 ohms each, or a SVC 2 ohm sub, and an RMS Wattage of 400-500 W.

So with that i have two options:

1.) shallow mount subs from either kicker, pioneer, or RF? Which ones are the best? o should i not get a shallow sub at all?

2.) regular sub, decent quality from kicker, alpine pioneer rf etc...

I know a lot of my choice depends on what i listen to, but that's kind of tough because i listen to everything from metal and hardcore to trance and techno to rap to rock. i am looking for something that will be crisp and clean, while providing a moderate thump, im not one of those guys that tries to rattle their trunk off, i just want to fill in the lower frequency's, and get a good thump to your back when listening to those bass heavy trance and rap songs.

And finally, the bank... I don't want to spend a lot, but with my low wattage requirements that's not too hard, at the absolute max i would like to spend 140(ebay or sale prices) or so, which should give me plenty of options.

Any advice or opinions are appreciated, let me know if I forgot anything
Old 06-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sub recomendations

hmm.. you definitely know what you need, so that good. going on the tighter end of the air space spectrum is good for your listening needs, although i listen to screamo metal and hard alternative, sometimes rap, i still like a midsize ported box tuned in the 40's or 50's.
personally, i would search for a 12w3 dual 4ohm sub, if you can find one in that price range, go for it! Kicker comp vr would be good, BUT, its really really not gonna like that air space at all...
try www.ikesound.com they have 12" alpine type r's for 135 shipped, RE audio RE series 12" for 100 plus shipping, JL 12w3's for 158 dollars plus shipping, and so on.. they are good, i made about a 500 dollar purchase from them some years back..
Old 06-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i deffinatly want to stick to sealed, most ported boxes I hear sound too much like big deep horns when you get outside of their best frequency's, i like the little broader and smooth response of a sealed. i was looking at the comp vr, but yeah space isn't so great. i use this as a DD, but i want o have room for other junk in my trunk lol, and i do go racing occasionally, so having a smaller box that i can take out easy is always a plus.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont know about shallow mounts,,,i would personally go with the phoenix gold xexon series, there about $100 a sub DVC-4OHM OR 2HM 500 RMS. Thats the best bang for the buck and hits hard as hell,,I had it in my civic one sub runned paralled to a 2-ohm on a vibrant 2000wt amp ill tell you you need a capacitor with it.My lights were dimming everything headlights taillights cluster guage ac guage.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think i am going to go with a kicker 10" L5 in a small sealed box
Old 06-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally, I'd go with an RE Audio SE12 or IDQ12V3
Old 06-19-2009, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am pretty sure i want to go with a 10 inch sub for the quick response, and the kicker l5 in a small seeled box had shown to be a great tight sounding combo.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:25 AM

I was just going to recommended the L5 2 ohm. I have done many installs with them and the sound quality and response is some of the best for the price.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup, im actually going to get the L5 10" DVC 4 ohms, and run them in parallel so that i get 2 ohms into my amp
Old 06-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would ditch the subwoofer and the amps.You will save all that extra weight. Your car will go faster, handle better, and get better fuel mileage.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha yeah really? I'm not stupid.

I take out the sub and amp when i go to the track, that is also the reason why I am sticking to a small amp and small sub/box. It is a Daily driver, so I enjoy having some good music, and you just cant have the complete range of frequency unless you have a sub to fill in the low end. and with a setup this small it takes 5 mins and a Philips head screwdriver to take out the box and amp.

Besides its not like I'm driving around on a stock d series with a stock suspension. I happen to be driving a built d series running a Garrett T3/T4 57 trim .63 ar at 16psi, making approx 275 at the wheels. I also have upgraded brakes all around, as well as a rear sway bar.

I have to say my suspension isn't the greatest, I'm running in tein S.tech springs on some kyb shocks, a little soft, but great for a DD that is driven 50+ miles a day, often with 4 people in the car. I'm not some a-hole that has to drive around like he is at a race track, dodging in and out of traffic and taking exits at breakneck speed.

So maybe if I was rich and could afford another car that could be my daily driver then yeah I would remove the sub and save maybe ~30lbs, but I'm not, and I am making do with what I have. If you have any relevant suggestions at to what sub would work well for my setup and needs I would love to hear it, if not then please refrain from posting in my thread.