Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

sub & amp ??? HELP PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 07:14 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sub & amp ??? HELP PLEASE!!!

Ok i just wanted to ask you guys a few questions on the proper amp setup for 2 12" subs... I just ordered 2 infinity 12" perfects that i plan on putting in a sealed box... Where im getting stuck is the amp... here are the questions...

1) since im gettting two subs do i need a 2ch amp?

2) is it safe to run 4ohms subs at 2ohms?

3) if im only powering the 2 subs with the amp should i go 2ch or mono? the 2ch amp would push 230rms x 2 @ 4ohms while the mono amp would push 350rms x 2 @ 2ohms...

any help would be great...
Old 11-19-2001, 08:11 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: sub & amp ??? HELP PLEASE!!! (LuDeS)

1. Yes.

2. Don't know. I would lean toward yes.

3. Don't know.
Old 11-19-2001, 09:28 AM
New User

Default Re: sub & amp ??? HELP PLEASE!!! (GoLowDrew)

the reason i asked the first question is because i called crutchfield and one of their reps informed me that i could use a mono ch amp and run what she called parallel wires and split the mono ch amp to power two subwoofers
Old 11-19-2001, 10:16 AM
New User

No, you don't need a two channel amp. One channel is fine.

Yes it is safe to run 4 ohm subs at 2 ohms. In fact, you'll have to do it that way if you're getting a mono sub.

You can get the 2 channel amp and bridge it, it would likely put out 500 RMS at 2 ohms.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:24 AM
New User

Default Re: sub & amp ??? HELP PLEASE!!! (redblues)

Are the infinity kappa perfect 12" subs... Mono subs????
Old 11-19-2001, 06:32 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok i just wanted to ask you guys a few questions on the proper amp setup for 2 12" subs... I just ordered 2 infinity 12" perfects that i plan on putting in a sealed box... Where im getting stuck is the amp... here are the questions...

1) since im gettting two subs do i need a 2ch amp?
Since you have two subs you have three options (I'm assuming you got the Single voice coil version (SVC) not the Dual Voice Coil version (DVC) of the sub)

1. You can get a two channel amp and run each sub off each channel. The amp will output to each channel what is is rated at 4 ohms NOT bridged aka mono.

2. You can wire the subs in parallel so that the amp sees a 2 ohm load. Now all you would need is a one channel amp, but you have to make sure the amp can handle a two ohm load, which most can. You can also get a two channel amp, bridge the two channels and then give it a two ohm load. Alot of amps cannot handle a bridged two ohm load however.

3. Do it in series, which will give you a 8 ohm load. You can use a two channel or 1 channel amp for this, but it is pretty wasteful because you will not get very much power out of the amp.

2) is it safe to run 4ohms subs at 2ohms?
You can't change the ohm rating of a sub, so this question is irrelevant. What you need to worry about is whether the amp you get can handle a 2 ohm load if you connect the subs in parallel.

3) if im only powering the 2 subs with the amp should i go 2ch or mono? the 2ch amp would push 230rms x 2 @ 4ohms while the mono amp would push 350rms x 2 @ 2ohms...

any help would be great...
A mono amp by definition cannot do 350 x 2 because they are only one channel.

I would suggest connecting your subs in a manner that yields the maximum power from the amp within it's rated specs. Your best bet is to get a 1 channel amp that outputs alot of power when at 2 ohms. Even better is if you can find an amp that will run bridged and at 2 ohms. However I doubt you'd want to pay the amount of money for an amp that can handle that. Going with a 2 channel amp to power each sub will cost more usually because a 2 channel amp is more expensive to build that a 1 channel. HTH.
Old 11-23-2001, 06:07 PM
New User

you dont need two of those subs !! i had one ten when they first come out . it sounded so good and slammed so hard , i traded it for a set of 17in shocks with tires . crutchfield doesnt have an amp that can pushem . go to smilephotovideo.com the same subs you bought are about 3/4 the price they got cheap amps also ....