Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Sealing a ported box?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sealing a ported box?

The woofers are kenwood 125w RMS(or somewhere around there) 400w max 10" and I have a 100w x 2 Alpine amp for them.It sounds pretty good but when i put my hands over the ports it sounds much better.So I was wondering whats the best way to close up the ports?Also as you can see in the picture I have duct tape on one of the woofers because the foam is damaged.Amazingly it works pretty well since I have duct tape on both sides of the hole.But I'd like to fix it properly for looks and performance.Is it possible to fix that?

Old 06-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sealing a ported box? (fryman)

i dont really have exp with repairing torn foam surrounds, but it happens all the time and if the duct tape is holding up fine, id say just stick wit it.
do you have measurements as the the total volume of the box? it looks pretty small, probably a factory box designed for a truck. if ur gonna seal it, id cut the carpet off the top panel, remove the ports, and just glue and screw a single or two smaller cuts of mdf over the holes. u can seal where the holes meet the new wood from the inside with clear silicone too to prevent air leaks

judging by the small size of the box too, have you considered running the subs magnet out to increase the volume of air inside? it would hide the duct tape too for aesthetic purposees
Old 06-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Sealing a ported box? (nabs.no.abs)

No I don't have measurements.But it appears that the box may have once been bigger and someone cut part of the front off.Yea reverse the woofers,I didn't think about that.So when the woofers are reversed that makes it louder?
Old 06-15-2008, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well with the woofers facing outward, the basket and magnets are taking up space inside the box. flip them and you have more volume of air for the subs to push. depending on the size of the box now, it probably will sound louder.
dont forget to reverse the polarity when u wire the subs back up to correct the phase since the woofers will be inverted

also you will probably want to consider building a custom box in the future to get the most sound outta those subs.

Modified by nabs.no.abs at 3:19 PM 6/15/2008

Modified by nabs.no.abs at 3:19 PM 6/15/2008
Old 06-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No wonder it sounds better with the ports closed up, the box is probably too small and has 2" ports. The volume is not hard to measure. Use this program http://grapevine.abe.msstate.e....html , but do subtract 1/2" for plywood thickness. Go to kenwoods website and decide on needed sealed cu. ft. for the 2 subs. If the box is too big just add wood supports in the corners until you get it right or close. Some good advice on inverted car subwoofers here http://www.the12volt.com/insta...&PN=1 . gl