Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

New Alarm and Quick Release Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Alarm and Quick Release Question

I drive an 88 Civic Hatch STD, and I am starting to see more value in my ride as I upgrade a little here and a little there. I know I need to protect my investment, and an alarm seems to be the best route in addition to a quick release steering wheel.

I am not as concerned about the alarm, as I am certain that those of you in here will have several suggestions (and I welcome those suggestions). What I am most concerned with, though, is the steering wheel quick release mechanism itself. I do NOT want anything ball bearing related, as I know they are crap (personal experience in my old Mustang). I have a photo of what I want, but I do not know where I can find one.

Does anybody know where I can get this for a reasonable price?

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:49 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: New Alarm and Quick Release Question (VegasEFHB)

Maybe something like this, FIA spec. http://www.spa-uk.co.uk/design...e.htm or this, more what your looking for http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/prod...d/428
Maybe a Wilwood http://store.summitracing.com/...w=sku
Or a Racetech http://www.raceparts.co.uk/racetech/steering.htm
Non of the above are cheap 94
Old 12-01-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Re: New Alarm and Quick Release Question (fcm)

Thank you for the good info , the second one matched what I needed. I am assuming that I would have to have it shipped from the UK to Las Vegas, but I can wait a few weeks.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:14 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Or call them and see if they have a distributor in the US.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Re: New Alarm and Quick Release Question (fcm)

Yeah, I think I will, that is a little pricey for direct import of a plain jane aluminum ring lock.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.tekniqauto.com/

I've always used this company, no problems at all, and good prices
Old 12-02-2005, 11:06 AM

Default Re: New Alarm and Quick Release Question (phuckyou)

Thanks, man! That is exactly what I wanted.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What happend to your ball bearing quikrelease? Ive been rocking my NRG quikrelease for over a year now, i got no power stearing and i rock a momo 11in steering wheel , so in other words its put threw alot of stress. Oh ya the car is daily drivin, only car i got, goes to school, work etc.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:21 PM

Default Re: New Alarm and Quick Release Question (STEV3-O)

I used to own a 1985 CHP Edition Mustang Chase Car, lots of extra toys including the old school black and white paint job and pushbar on the front...

Once I finished the motor swap (351ci, Cleveland) and all the other stuff, I decided to make her less desirable for theft. I installed something similar to the NRG style unit (5 bolt, compatible with a Grant type wheel) with a nice old school 70 Mustang replica wheel and a transmission lock. After 6 months of going to and from base, school, and home it started getting really stiff in the removal and installation process. After another month or so, I contacted the company and they simply stated that the bearings were wearing out and the spring needed tightening, and I needed a replacement unit. I simply refused to pay more money for something that I knew would need replacing in a few months, AGAIN.

I realize that driving a 1980s era Mustang (everybody knows they are crap, I didn't see it until it was too late) and putting performance parts into it wasn't the wisest move on my part and the quick release wasn't exactly required, but at 22 years old I felt like the sh*t. I ended up just taking off the quick release and installing a spacer on the hub to make up for the extra space.

I do not want to go through it again on my Hatch with a sub standard mechanism that relies on springs and ball bearings. I have a friend that picked up a generic manufactured one similar to the one I am interested in a year ago, and he has yet to have a problem. He races his little 99 Civic Coupe as well as using it for daily driver use, and he has yet to have any sort of play or difficulty removing or installing on a regular basis.

I do not plan to do any racing of my own, hence my resistance to an expensive spindle/hex type quick release. This particular item will allow me to retain the functionality of my horn as well as making it VERY simple and quick (hence the product title) to remove if required without any issues.

Getting my radio/equipment jacked is not cool, but I could deal with that much better than losing my ride completely. I have been there, and I do not want that again. Teamed with a reasonable alarm/security system, this will hinder the theft of my vehicle. Creating a vehicle that is difficult to maintain for security reasons is stupid, I want to maintain full functionality in addition to reasonable security.

Modified by VegasEFHB at 10:35 PM 12/3/2005