Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

hercules task?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hercules task?

I am going to put Infiniti and Pioneer speakers in my civic. I thought I might upgrade the factory wiring. I want to do all this on my own. I know nothing about car audio, but pretty damn handy. Am I crazy to think I can upgrade the wiring all by myself? If I am not crazy (highly unlikely), is there resource to help me with this online? You guys can help?

Speak your mind.

freakazoid
Old 07-07-2004, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hercules task? (freakazoid)

Well if you don't know anything about car audio I would suggest that you have someone else do it for you, or you research it out alot. By the way what type of civic is it and what year?
Old 07-07-2004, 06:58 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Its not a big deal to do, but not realy worth it if all your running is the HU, now if your adding an amp then it is worth it, just take your time and do it right .
The car has wireing tracks in it ,use them if theres room,if not use "split loom" make sure speaker wire can't get pinched or rubbed, getting into the doors can be the hardest, [depends on model and year] do not drill new holes in door and jam to run the wire unless you absolutly have to.

hope this helps. 94

Modified by fcm at 12:26 AM 7/8/2004
Old 07-07-2004, 07:13 AM

Default Re: hercules task? (fcm)

Guys,

It's a 95 Civic LX. It's my baby! I've had it since college, bought with hard earn cash!

FCM: I am thinking of getting an amp too. The pioneer multi-channel looks about right for my budget, about $200. That's why I want to rewire the whole car. I thought about just let someone else do it and pay money, but I feel I can do a better job if I try. I have time and it should be a fun project.

Any pointer about where to start my research? This site and the people here have been very helpful.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:19 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Well go for it , if your going to wire the car for amp and speakers, and you have the time ,I suggest that you " gut " the car, pull all the seats out,consol, door panels, glovebox ,drivers flash panel,[ knee pad trim panel] left and right rocker panel trim, and kik panels, and the carpet, [now is a good time to get the carpet cleaned and redyed].

Run 3 sets of RCAs [you may add a sub amp] down center of car, lay them side by side and flat [no twists or crossing each other] along the side of the consol hump to under the seats [if amps are going there] or to rear of car, hold in place with duct tape evary foot or so, remember not to run them where they can get pinched or stepped on.

Run power wire/wires along pass. side of car [if batt. is on that side,if not use drivers side] to where amp/amps are going to be mounted,also run a 18ga or 16ga amp. trigger lead [blue] and a 14ga "dump ground" [black, may not be needed] along with the power wire/wires.

Run speaker wire up center of car on other side of consol hump from RCAs, also lay them flat and hold in place with duct tape.

Now replace carpet and consol, back seat,and front seats ,[if amp/amps are not going under them, because you have run the extra RCAs and power, you wont have to take them out again.

Now, [if you haven,t already] run speaker leads into doors, then replace kik panels and rocker panel trim, wire and mount the HU ,[the black "dump ground" gets attatched at the back of HU, [ don,t forget to get rid of all excess wire and wires not being used, like HU speaker wire if using amp] all the wires should be just long enought so you can pull HU out of dash and unplug and disconnect it and no longer, replace glove box, flash panel anr radio trim.

Wire and mount speakers and amp/amps, test , install door panels. done

pcs o pi easy as cake hope this helps , and if you need more help, lots of us here who think we know what we are doing. 94
Old 07-08-2004, 08:00 AM

Default Re: hercules task? (fcm)

FCM: That sounds fun and a lot of work. I still want to do it. Do you think one of those CDROM Service Manual that is on ebay will help with gutting the car? I don't want to break anything while I am at it. I also need to learn the terminology. LOL
Old 07-08-2004, 08:14 AM
spark plugs.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=897225
Old 07-08-2004, 09:15 PM
fcm
Old Fart

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spark plugs. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=897225</TD></TR></TABLE>