Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Adding Steering Wheel Audio Controls

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Steering Wheel Audio Controls

My 02 Accord LX came with a AM/FM/CD Head Unit from the factory but did not come with the Steering Wheel Audio Controls. I recently upgraded to a Alpine UTE-62BT Digital Media Receiver and also upgraded the speakers. The Alpine owners manual states the unit is compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required). Would the wiring be in place in my LX's steering column to easily add the factory Steering Wheel Audio Controls or would it be a more complicated task? Also, what functions would the factory controls allow - volume up/down, radio tuning, etc.?
Old 05-20-2018, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Adding Steering Wheel Audio Controls

Unlikely. The wiring is in the clockspring that accompanies your airbag and horn wiring. No reason to include it on the base model. There are, however, aftermarket steering wheel controls that you can pick up. I have a wireless metra model in my 02 civic with aftermarket HU. This is the model I have: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120RFA...+wheel+control works great 100%, had it for 2 years now with my JVC head unit. All buttons are programmable too, for example my "source" button I have programmed to activate siri through my radio. Control seen on bottom-left of the wheel.