Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

Project DB1 restoring DD

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project DB1 restoring DD

so ive been doin more work on my DB1 than my DA latly and figured i would make its own thread so its not invading my other build thread.

My plan is to make a clean reliable DD gonna be redoing suspension, brakes, and bushings etc will take awhile but im really starting to love this build

these are copy and pasted from a buildthread i have on another forum

Last year i bought a 92 LS sedan, thanks to Stoopid_1(Tim) for driving me around all day, and to Kuppa(Seth) for finding it on his way home

i picked it up for 500 bucks from some mexican guy who didnt speak any english, rebuilt title due to accident, i got to drive it around for about 3 days then i rearended a Big truck damaging the Passenger side coresupport it looked to be an easy fix but when i removed the bumpers and mushed hood and Hlights i saw the damage from previos owner i didnt see befor i bought the car, at the time i really needed to get the car going so 2 long nights of gathering parts and using my brothers t100 pickup pulled the support out and put it back together, after 4 days of problem free driving i was on my way to pick my son up from daycare and i pushed the clutch down and it didnt come back up took it to my shop and pulled the motor and trans to find the throw out bearing siezed, so not wanting to put a brand new clutch on a 210k+a1 i traded the motor to my friend for his b1(55k) junkyard pull. not liking the fact that my headlights didnt line up correctly and the the front end looked like garbage i sought out to get a new core support and fix it all befor putting her back on the road.

here are some pics of when i first got it

The damage befor i crashed as you can see in the pic it didnt look all to bad it wasnt until i removed everything that i saw the real damage

the MSD wires are off my LS/V in the DA thats why they are sticking out so much, when i first got the DB it ran like *** and sounded like a Subaru, so me and tim figured it was time for a tune up got some NGK wires and plugs and a cap and rotor. found one plug wire was torn threw the msds on for quick fix then put the NGKs on when they arrived next day, didnt like the look of the 92-93 airbox so got a 90-91 from seth threw it on with a K&N filter

The car had a stupid autozone special muffler on it that had to go

if youve noticed the DB had a EF single core Radiator luckily i had a brand new OEM radiator out of my DA when i got the Fluidyne so in it went and probaly 2 or 3 days later it met a hitch in between this i removed the guards in my fogs and bought some PIAA yellow foglights that bit the dust to lol

so i hit up craigslist and a junk yard and got it back to drivable conditions

after a couple of days of having it back on the throw out bearing FAILs so back to the shop

since i got the DA back up and running and my brother gave me his Celica i figured i could do this the right way and make a nice clean reliable DD

First sourced a new B1 from friend

Got the flywheel resurfaced and picked up an exeddy stg1

All the old mounts were toast so i orderd some Innovative steel mounts

the tranny and engine bay were disgusting so i pressure washed um

cleaned up the fenders and painted them semi gloss black

the whole reason i crashed was cause brake failure so to get the stopping power i wanted i got some Axxis pads and Power slot rotors

i didnt wanna deal with to much wiring so i am gonna be using the a1 mani over the b1 and got a plastic gasket, and picked up some longer mani studs thanks to a tip from a fellow g2icer and a friend gave me new Mani nuts

we drilled the spot welds out and cut the top off the frame rail to see how bad it was.

we straigtend it out as best we could and used it as a templet for the new piece i cut more material off the new piece so i had something to play with

you can see how much damage there is to the orignal side

mocking it up

thats about how far we got this weekend gonna get more done this week and weekend

Prepping the Bay for Paint

also got to use my new toy

Painted the heatshields with Hi-temp Semi gloss black
Old 08-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project DB1 restoring DD

well i got alot of cutting and sizing done today gonna start welding it up tomorow after work, also thought id test the primer out, i like how it looks over semi gloss black so i might just go with the primer dunno yet will see also found Brake fluid in my Booster is this good or bad?? any input on it would be nice thanks

Cut off the old

In with the new, still need to work on the inside piece but it is fixable

i like this color lol

and some prepping for paint done

welded on the side, gonna use the torch to heat up the inside piece should have the motor in by this weekend everything is going very smoothly

Roll of quaters ^^

its pretty solid, the globs were hole repairs got a little to hot

how you know its solid you can see the welds all the way threw the metal

and painted a little more of the bay

My millermatic

didnt get any welding done today just painted some more and test fit the core support everything lines up awesome, going to a hod rod show with the whole fam tomorow so might weld up tommorow night after it

well what you guys think??

thanks bud

well after the hot rod show i thought id get some work done so i finished the frame, and started fitting the fender rails together gonna finished welding it up tomorow night its amazing how easy its going(knock on wood) the spot welds and new pieces make it easy to line up

First straigtned out the frame as best i could I love body tools ^^

Fit like a glove welded it in place

Now it was time to tackle the fender rails and lower metal piece that covers the wash jug

Rough cut from befor

Cleaned up

Drilled some spot welds out and fitted the main piece on just gotta trim it up and weld it on

Replacment piece for messed up outer fender rail

Coresupport is finished!! :rockon:

powered it out tonight, i messed up when i cut the inside fender rail accidently cut the poiece off i needed and had to fix it lol you will see what im talking about

Welded the nose on

The mistake :sad:

finished that up and went to BK to get some dinner and you cant work on a Teg with out wearing a crown just shows im the ****ing man and everyone should know it when i wear a BK Crown workin on a DB1 lol

AND THE COMPLETION

Old 08-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

forgot to mention i got a free type r lip from my buddy joe, and started wire hiding instead of tucking same look its coming along great, i dont care if people think im stupid for just lowering the wiring used the stock zip tie holder things and drilled a few holes to keep it tight to the frame

thought i would just check to see how level it was perfect zero

The type R lip sizing it up

Old nasty brakes

The new shiney rotors and pads

old harness had some flaws so Joe pinned out the old foglight clips and put a new one off the spare harness

Running the driverside harness down along the bottom of the frame rail

will finish the passenger side when i get back from Spokane going to visit family and pow wow on my rez

Pow wow was fun got to see alot of my distant relatives from Montana had a blast il post pics up of that later

k so i went over to the shop this morning and started working on the car but my wife got called into work and since its my day off i gotta watch josh, so my wife will get paid for afull day but i got a little bit of work done gonna go back out there tonight installed new fuel filter and the Cruise control and the charcol canister

Old 08-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking good.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:43 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

looks good. Glad to see I wasn't one of teh only people not affraid to fix body damage that bad
Old 08-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

holy first post batman! lol, steveo, i think that has to be one of the longest first posts in a thread ever!!
Old 08-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Vietnamese!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 08-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by American.Graffiti
Looking good.
Thanks hope to have it on the road in a week or so but i might be leaving for basic in a week lol

Originally Posted by speckles
looks good. Glad to see I wasn't one of teh only people not affraid to fix body damage that bad
Yeah it wasnt as hard as i thought it was gonna be if i had more time it would have been done alot sooner but its progress ,thanks

Originally Posted by OldSkoolDa91
holy first post batman! lol, steveo, i think that has to be one of the longest first posts in a thread ever!!
lol im sure it could have been longer but i just thought i would make a second post so i didnt waste my time typeing and copying and pasting lol

Originally Posted by ALLxMOTOR EG
lol

So this friday when i get paid im either gonna order ES bushing kit or s2 lowering springs and il extend my top hats so i can run stock struts tell i can afford proper struts
Old 08-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looks sick, im glad someone is bringing back the db1
Old 08-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks, couldnt let it go to waste the interior is so clean and its saveable, gonna see about either me pulling the rear end out a little or having my friend do it at his school, its pushed in about .5in not to noticable unless you look close but it bugs me

Edited Int PICS

Old 08-04-2009, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

should get a diff. steering wheel. like the 90-91
Old 08-04-2009, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice work
Old 08-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OldSkoolDa91
should get a diff. steering wheel. like the 90-91
yeah i got one in my garage that will be going in it from my da ^^ with cruise on it so its a win win

mgrcrx- thanks
Old 08-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good deal. i hate the 92-93 wheels
Old 08-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so befor i left for meps i got the motor dropped in and swapped the steering wheels

everything was going great tell the driverside mount didnt wanna line up..... as i thought it wasnt gonna work cause its the mount off the b1 instead of my 92 a1 i told my friend that they werent the same and he insisted they were but not gonna get into that one im getting the old one off my a1 tonight had to extend a few wires but didnt take pics

guiding the motor in is my buddy Jose

motor in but no driverside mount weak sauce

new steering wheel

still have to swap out the oil pan and plug in the back of the harness, gonna sand blast the old battery tray and rubber coat it, found a parts DB gonna look at rear bumper/filler piece and rear pass door, or i will just order my ES master kit and do the body work when i get back from basic will see i got tell sept 13th then il be gone for 18weeks
Old 08-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well even with the A1 side mount in it didnt line up so i think Innovative sent the wrong side... gonna call them monday

got the axles in and tranny filled with HG MTF(FTW)

finished up wiring and started putting the Radiator when but had to call it a night
Old 08-08-2009, 01:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i wish i could find a db1 to work on, i need an extra set of doors now. lol

Old 08-08-2009, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lookin' good man. Did you only prime the bay or is that a topcoat?
Old 08-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah its got a couple coats of primer its just temperary so i can get it a solid color and on the road im gonna get it repainted to rosewood brown down the road when i wont have to rely on it for a dd
Old 08-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

steveo...what year is the car exactly? and what year did you order the mounts for? the 90-91 mounts are diff from the 92-93 mounts. i found that out the hard way before. its so freakin stupid. i dont know why honda ever did that but its GAY!! lol
Old 08-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the cars a 92 and i orderd 92-93 but they were taking along time to ship so they called me and said they were gonna grab it right from powder coaters and ship it ASAP and they might have grabbed the wrong one...
Old 08-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah def sounds like they sent the wrong thing. that sucks man. hope they take care of you
Old 08-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well cleaned up my garage to try and get all my little nicnacs for my db1 got some small bushing for radiator and powersteering mounting brackets and etc and let my little one "Fix" my tires lol he walks aroung my garage saying tools tools and fix fix lol its cute

Old 08-10-2009, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I want those wheels!!!
Old 08-10-2009, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol witch ones? i got 2 blue BBS RAs and im getting 3 more goldones for pullin a motor, and the black wheels are off a AE86 im gonna polish and clean for a friend if i have the time

Quick Reply: Project DB1 restoring DD