Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

EF5 4g 4wd 4dr

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 01:35 PM
EFB055

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: EF5 4g 4wd 4dr

Originally Posted by afx31
Did Rywire sort the problems with everything?
Yeah they sure did. Super friendly/helpful team.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ~sp33~
Yeah they sure did. Super friendly/helpful team.
Thats great to hear! I know Chris from HH has had a lot of trouble with his Innovative mounts and their customer service is peasant, considering the mount is wrong lol
Old 07-10-2016, 06:34 PM
EFB055

Thats great to hear! I know Chris from HH has had a lot of trouble with his Innovative mounts and their customer service is peasant, considering the mount is wrong lol
2 of my innovative mounts were wrong (front trans mount and rear trans mount), but i never bothered to follow it up. Just ended up modifying it to fit. sometimes it's less hassle.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2 of my innovative mounts were wrong (front trans mount and rear trans mount), but i never bothered to follow it up. Just ended up modifying it to fit. sometimes it's less hassle.
Exact same thing as he did
Old 07-24-2016, 03:14 PM
EFB055

So this has still been plotting along. It's hard to take pics of wiring progress, but here's something..

I can't remember if i mentioned, but i've been pulling all the redundant wiring out of my harness now that i'm running a rywire milspec engine harness. Here's the cabin harness all unpicked... Mess..

All the wiring that was pulled out...

And coming along, nearly finished tidying it up.. New sensors and things added, like EDFC, boost switches, waterpump wiring for the aftercooler etc... Also added new Deutsch plugs so i can disconnect the harness from subharnesses that run to the front bulk head.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So this has still been plotting along. It's hard to take pics of wiring progress, but here's something..

I can't remember if i mentioned, but i've been pulling all the redundant wiring out of my harness now that i'm running a rywire milspec engine harness. Here's the cabin harness all unpicked... Mess..

All the wiring that was pulled out...

And coming along, nearly finished tidying it up.. New sensors and things added, like EDFC, boost switches, waterpump wiring for the aftercooler etc... Also added new Deutsch plugs so i can disconnect the harness from subharnesses that run to the front bulk head.

Damnnn nice progress! I should of done the same as you with a plug between the EFI harness and cabin harness.. Many regrets, oh well. Plus that black tape stuff for wiring looks shmick!
Old 07-26-2016, 01:42 PM
EFB055

Damnnn nice progress! I should of done the same as you with a plug between the EFI harness and cabin harness.. Many regrets, oh well. Plus that black tape stuff for wiring looks shmick!
It's awesome stuff. It's PET plastic wrap and high temp cloth tape to seal the ends.

So the motor is coming out soon... If i get a chance this weekend... I'm doing rods and pistons while the motor is apart.

Makeitrain.gif
Old 07-28-2016, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-29-2016, 01:33 PM
EFB055

Dropped my motor off, to get these beauties installed <3
Old 08-30-2016, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice!
Old 11-24-2016, 09:07 PM
EFB055

Pretty big gaps between updates, but should have a few rolling out soon. I picked up my motor from getting water bead blasted today. Hnng, so fresh:

Got a busy week on the car next week so hopefully have some updates then.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pretty big gaps between updates, but should have a few rolling out soon. I picked up my motor from getting water bead blasted today. Hnng, so fresh:

Got a busy week on the car next week so hopefully have some updates then.
Looks amazing :3 are you doing an aftermarket build on motor, I'm assuming so...
Old 11-24-2016, 09:45 PM
EFB055

Yeah i've got bisi cams to go in the head which has been ported out. The block has forged rods and pistons, but factory crank (just balanced).

See how it goes! So keen.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah i've got bisi cams to go in the head which has been ported out. The block has forged rods and pistons, but factory crank (just balanced).

See how it goes! So keen.
Very nice, and then a tune I guess to sort it all out and should have decent gains I'm assuming?
Old 11-27-2016, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good stuff buddy!
Old 11-28-2016, 01:50 PM
EFB055

Very nice, and then a tune I guess to sort it all out and should have decent gains I'm assuming?
Yep, will be re-tuned. No idea about the gains, but there should be something or i'll be spewing

Tx Jon!
Old 12-29-2016, 03:03 AM
EFB055

So, got my harness back in and tested everything with the ECU unplugged... Just wanted to make sure all the windows/mirrors/lights etc still worked fine. At first it looked like everything was working mint. My new waterpump for the heat exchanger turns on properly with a 15 second delay after start, all the EDFC wiring works good. Then i realised the interior dome light wasn't working when the drivers door was opened. I figured it would be something easy but turned out it was soo much more involved haha.

So turns out, it's actually been broken ever since i swapped my interior from prefacelift to facelift and i've just never noticed. The two different models handle their lights on warning chimes differently. My old cluster (prefacelift) has an overspeed warning chime on the back of the cluster which chimes when you hit 116kph (70? mph), and that chime is also used for lights on warning. Unfortunately the facelift models use a chime that's built into the integrated control unit on the back of the fuse box which doesn't have an overspeed function, so ofcourse the wiring is different, and my overspeed chime didn't work

You can see the speaker on the back of my old cluster:

The good thing is, i can pull that off my old cluster and if i can find a way to mount it on the facelift cluster then everything works, the dome light, the lights on warning chime.... Except the overspeed warning. You can see the one yellow wire that connects the unit to cluster in the above pic. That wire actually connects to the speed sensor in the speedometer... So i pulled out the old speedo and the new speedo to see what the difference was:

So there's a couple of differences. Firstly though, i could theoretically just swap the old one with the new one. That would mean my overspeed chime would work, but because the prefacelift cluster reads 180kph, and the new one reads to 240kph the needle wouldn't display the correct speed anymore. D'oh! So you can see in the upper right hand side of the unit there's a little bent piece of metal on the one with the overspeed system, and the one on the left does not have it. It's a neat little device, here's a better pic:

You can see a little prong sticking out into the void, when you get up to speed that brass looking disc spins around and makes contact with the prong at exactly 116kph which closes the circuit and turns the overspeed chime on. Sooo cool.

So i could do a couple of things to make it work. I can use Hondata's AUX functions to trigger the warning chime at whatever speed i set (sweet). But it still wouldn't chime on and off like it used to (you can kind of hear it when i back off the throttle in an old video i found from the drags):

So once i figure out what causes the intermittent on/off signal i'll use a relay with a signal from the ECU to trigger at a given speed, and then use the power from the intermittent signal to pulse the chime on and off.

I also got my quick release engine harness connector fitted up. Looks alright, i think i might use a foam backing so it still has a watertight seal against the firewall.

Also swapped my carpet out from a rather haggered black carpet to a red carpet that it hought matched in nicely with the fleck in the door trims, seats and steering wheel stitching.

So yeah.. Working on a few things at the moment.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Woah whatta head ache with the cluster, good thing you sorted it out seems it was rather complicated.. Red carpet looks mint too, especially with your interior, rather jealous!
Old 12-30-2016, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

love it!
Old 01-04-2017, 03:21 PM
EFB055

Originally Posted by ssmrico
love it!
Ta

Woah whatta head ache with the cluster, good thing you sorted it out seems it was rather complicated.. Red carpet looks mint too, especially with your interior, rather jealous!
Yeah, and it's the little things that always take time.

Some more progress on getting things working, because i'm using an ECU signal for my overspeed chime, and i'm also triggering my superchargers heat exchanger fan using intake temps, i had to add a couple of wires to the Rywire ECU harness. Takes guts to start modifying a 1500$ harness hahah.

​​​​​​​
There's a couple of blank slots in the rywire ECU plugs where the hondata outputs too, so i've added wires between the cabin harness and the ECU as you can see above. The cabin harness connector was full though, so i pulled out the two 'extra' wires that Rywire include in their engine harness and just heat shrunk over the terminals so they could be used again later if need be. I also re zip tied everything to make it look like it should... Nice and tidy:

Old 01-07-2017, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ta Yeah, and it's the little things that always take time.

Some more progress on getting things working, because i'm using an ECU signal for my overspeed chime, and i'm also triggering my superchargers heat exchanger fan using intake temps, i had to add a couple of wires to the Rywire ECU harness. Takes guts to start modifying a 1500$ harness hahah.

​​​​​​​
There's a couple of blank slots in the rywire ECU plugs where the hondata outputs too, so i've added wires between the cabin harness and the ECU as you can see above. The cabin harness connector was full though, so i pulled out the two 'extra' wires that Rywire include in their engine harness and just heat shrunk over the terminals so they could be used again later if need be. I also re zip tied everything to make it look like it should... Nice and tidy:

Damn looks good! Seeing this makes me wanna do a harness again. So now everything is sorted it zhould be in car soon and running? :D
Old 01-10-2017, 12:44 AM
EFB055

Damn looks good! Seeing this makes me wanna do a harness again. So now everything is sorted it zhould be in car soon and running? :D

I wish, haha. I started a new job today so i'm back to only working on it on the weekends. And i work slowly. lol.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:40 PM
EFB055

Not sure if i mentioned before, but i've bought a couple of these now:

http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/timer...23a376eab100dc

Previously i've used one to trigger a relay for the heat exchanger water pump 15 seconds after it received a starter signal. But you can re program them to do all kinds of power on/off operations, I just bought another one to cycle on/off the overspeed chime once it received a signal from the ECU and will probably get a few spares for other electronic hobby things i've got in mind. They're easy to program and it was compact enough to secure it against the harness without having to 'mount' it to anything.

Would recommend.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not sure if i mentioned before, but i've bought a couple of these now:

http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/timer...23a376eab100dc

Previously i've used one to trigger a relay for the heat exchanger water pump 15 seconds after it received a starter signal. But you can re program them to do all kinds of power on/off operations, I just bought another one to cycle on/off the overspeed chime once it received a signal from the ECU and will probably get a few spares for other electronic hobby things i've got in mind. They're easy to program and it was compact enough to secure it against the harness without having to 'mount' it to anything.

Would recommend.
Good idea. Looks a neat piece of equiment. For the reprogramming does it require coding?
Old 01-18-2017, 09:45 PM
EFB055

Good idea. Looks a neat piece of equiment. For the reprogramming does it require coding?
Nope no coding, you program by grounding out certain wires in sequence which in turn triggers certain 'modes' that are stored in its flash memory.

Quick Reply: EF5 4g 4wd 4dr