Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

UA6/Acura TL Suspension - need help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default UA6/Acura TL Suspension - need help!

Hello all
So fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, I am the owner of a UA6. The way how I ended up with the car sucks (had my last vehicle stolen and totaled) but I'm looking forward.

In any event, for the past 3 days I've been searching online for solutions to replace/upgrade my suspension on this UA6. Either I'm not searching properly, the information is a big secret for some reason, or the information is buried somewhere where I can't find it, so any of your guys' help is appreciated.

I know there are plenty of full kits (TEIN, F&f, Megan, etc) that come with shocks and springs to bolt on to the UA6. This may be a route I have no choice going.
But, on all my past hondas, I easily (with the proper information) pieced together a great suspension for a fraction of what I would have paid for a premade kit, and they all have performed amazingly. I know someone must have done this for a UA6 sucessfully...

Here's what I already know...
1. I'm going to change front upper control arms. Either new base or preferably Type S. This combined with new struts/shocks and springs has refreshed the ride of my last 3 cars.
2. I'm keeping OEM wheels, and have decided on a 245 45 17 tire. Pretty sure the TL OEM wheels are 17x8, these tires should ride nicely and fit good in the well. I'll be looking to a UHP all season or UHP spring/summer tire...
3. I definitely want to be "low", just not crazy dumped. Looking for 1 finger gap up front and 2 finger gap in back

Here's what I need to know...
1. What is the inner diameter of OEM ua6 springs?
2. What is the stock spring rate (lbs or kgs, doesn't matter) on a UA6? Front, rear, or both rates if anyone has them.
3. Has anyone else pieced a suspension kit together instead of going with a full kit?
3a. If so - what spring rates and more importantly what spring HEIGHT have you gone with? I know the ua6 is MAX 345lbs heavier than my last honda, and as such, already have a spring rate in mind.
4. Using adjustable collars? What diameter?
5. Anyone using front upper strut bar? Making a difference? It made a HUGE difference in traffic on my last two cars...

If you have answers to any of these, will be appreciated.

Summit has springs at every rate and every height you could possibly need. Even if the shocks I choose dont have adjustable damping, I'm sure I'll still be happy with the ride vs how it is now. I think the previous owner cut the stock springs as my car seems much lower than a stock car should be. Or the shocks are blown....either way doesn't matter much as I plan to change them out.

I'm really looking forward to all the new stuff on this car, it's PLENTY fast as I'm coming from almost all b series cars...this J is great and thats stock...cant wait to throw some upgrades on it.
Thanks guys
Old 03-13-2017, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: UA6/Acura TL Suspension - need help!

Well about the only thing I can help you with on your list of need to know is these cars came stock with a pretty hefty front upper strut bar, the RV6 bar (possibly some other brands out there) is for the people running coilovers with adjustable dampening, the stock brace covers the adjustment ****, while the RV6 one is open.

From the research I have done for suspension, there really isn't much info for pieced together set ups. Most people run Tein's because they are decently price and work well on these cars. I personally am still 100% stock on my 05 base (my 99 Em1 is my play toy). I will say compared to other acura/honda platforms the TL is a more expensive car to upgrade, less people make parts for them, so not a lot of choices.

Your best bet if you haven't already is to check out the big acura forum and if you have facebook there is a decent size group on their for the 04-08 TL's that has a lot of good info.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey thanks for answering - I'm going to start with an OEM front upper strut bar (my car doesnt have one right now). I wouldn't mind taking the bar off to make adjustments if thats what ended up happening.

I know right!? There's no information on how to build a coilover setup, but it has to be possible, because all the kits I keep getting referred to are nothing but shocks, sleeves, and springs. I don't know - maybe nobodies responded about it because TL owners don't mind spending the extra coin on a full setup? Even the people I've seen with shocks and springs, none of them have adjustable collars to change the height...I dont understand it...that was the best part of the last setup, the ability to set the height where you want it with the springs you want.

I've checked on AZ, and everyone there either has shocks and springs no collars or full 1pc coilovers. I haven't seen one person just yet with shocks springs and collars.

When I get a chance(if I don't get anyone with an answer soon), I'll get my car jacked up and pull one of the shock/spring out. I have a 2.5 spring around here somewhere, so if it looks like 2.5 diameter springs will work I'll start ordering stuff and get this done. I really think it should work, and even the GC coilover conversion kit for UA6 (Ground Control - Coilover Conversion kit, 03-07 Honda Accord/ 04-08 Acura TSX / TL) looks EXACTLY the same as what I want to build.

Summit has any spring rate diameter height you could possibly want, and I've had good success with them.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:56 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts

On my 05 TL 6MT I went with Neuspeed sport springs when they were on sale on their site for $125 shipped. I also got Truhart shortened sport shocks for about $180 shipped from Tunersports.com (they always have a Truhart coupon). Beyond that the only thing I recommend is a rear camber kit. I went with Truhart for TH-H212 which is really made by Hardrace. I think I picked that up for about $130 shipped on Amazon but their prices always fluctuate. My camber is now set at -1*F (stock front arms) and -0.8*R. You can see my review and images on Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

With this combo the ride height is down less than a 1 finger gap on the stock 235/45r17 tires and I'm super happy with it. The ride quality was only a little lost over stock, but there was a random banging from the rear over sharp bumps. It turned out to be the rear coils. A pair of plastic spring sleeves from Eibach solved the problem (part# UB0205-5 $3 each). This covers one full coil where the spring transitions from loose to tight coils. No more rough sound.

Here is a pic of some eibachs with the sleeves pre-installed so you get the idea:
Old 03-24-2017, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Eg - thanks!

I may go that route as my car needs this stuff asap. No complaints on the shocks eh? If my taxes come back nice I may just get the full tru hart coilovers, else I'll try the combo you're suggesting. The ride height you described sounds perfect. I will definitely grab a camber kit either way for the back. Thanks for the heads up.

I'll also grab those spring sleeves. And going to change my front control arms when I do the fronts.

did you need spring compressor to do yours? I'll be doing a lot of repairs/upgrades at once and want to make sure I have all the tools. When using coilovers previously a spring compressor wasnt needed because I could adjust the collar down.

Also, I'm thinking of using 245 45 17...you think they would rub/require fender roll?

thanks for reply!
Old 03-24-2017, 11:01 AM
#1 Super Guy

A spring compressor was absolutely needed for my setup. The TL lowering springs are loooong and relatively soft. Then throw in shorter than stock shocks, and you are in for a treat. My spring compressor was absolutely maxed (extension and compression) out doing this job. The rears were straight forward, but the fronts I still had to push down on the hats with all my weight just so a friend could start the lock-nut for me. Of course I was using new OEM hat-bushings which was causing part of the problem.

No complaints on the shocks other than the rears have a lame bushing in them. I bought Honda bushings later, but will probably never have a chance at attempting to press them. I do get a rubber sounding squeak from the left rear over curbs. Not sure if it's the bushing, cause I never had time to look into it. I would have to take the rear seat out again to check it out.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:07 AM
#1 Super Guy

BTW: Truharts sport shocks have a lifetime warranty. Their coilovers do not.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So, looking at the truhart setup (shocks) with the same springs you mentioned or a coilover kit for 04 accord with 10k front 6k rear rates. I think I just have to change the tophats to make it work. Anybody doing this now (accord/tsx suspension on tl or vice versa)?
Old 04-03-2017, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KPDSM
So, looking at the truhart setup (shocks) with the same springs you mentioned or a coilover kit for 04 accord with 10k front 6k rear rates. I think I just have to change the tophats to make it work. Anybody doing this now (accord/tsx suspension on tl or vice versa)?
I am pretty sure the 04-08 TL & 03-07 Accord (v6 only?) can use the same coilovers/suspension, minus the top hats. I am not sure on the Tsx, I think the fronts are the same and the rear are slightly different, plus the spring rates are different.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1999 Civic Si
I am pretty sure the 04-08 TL & 03-07 Accord (v6 only?) can use the same coilovers/suspension, minus the top hats. I am not sure on the Tsx, I think the fronts are the same and the rear are slightly different, plus the spring rates are different.
thanks man!
the setup i am looking at is 10k front spring/6k rear (for tsx) which i think is plenty for a spirited daily tl, what do you think? Wont be an oem tsx spring ya kno? Maybe i can find a similar coilover system for accord and change the top hats...

your post has me wondering...one should be able to order accord (03-07) shocks, adjustable coilover sleeves for a civic, and springs to ones own liking for a budget suspension.

i really am tempted to go this route. If i can confirm a 2.5 diameter spring fits properly into these top hats i'll try it. Otherwise ill measure everything with a coilover system and report back.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I ended up getting a set of truhart sport shocks for $100 BNIB. Picked those up yesterday. Had some stuff left over from my last setup so I did some measurements and test fitting.
A general ebay coilover sleeve will definitely fit over these. The "problem" is the TruHart shocks truly are shortened in the front. They have no bumpstops either. When I fit the sleeve over the front shock and then a general 7 or 8 inch tall spring there's only maybe two inches from the top of the spring to the top of the shock. I don't think this will allow enough room to easily get the top hat bolted down (as EG mentioned maxing out his spring compressor). I'll deal with that issue a little later on.

My next step is to get a set of OEM Replacement top hats, at least the front pair. This in itself is multi part, because every one says if you're going to change the top hats you should change to the TL Type S solid style bushings as well. From what I can find, they are the same/very similar to the bushings you'd get if you ordered ebay style extended top hats (two concave rubber pieces with an aluminum insert).
I've ordered a lot of replacement/extended top hats in my time with honda's and usually when you order the top hat you get that solid style bushing as well. I've been having a hard time finding the exact part number(front top hat bushing) exclusive to a 3g TL Type S. The only place that seems to have them is heeltoe. The dealer has to have a part number for this bushing exclusive to the Type S I believe, because I think the base model bushing is a softer all one piece type of deal.
When the top hat(s) come in, I'll address this.

Once those two issues have been addressed, I'll move on to spring height and rate. As of right now I'm thinking of a 650(11.6k) front rate and 300(5k)/350(6k) rear rate. I have to see what I'm going to do height wise on the spring as well, because I do want to be able to run the adjustable collars, for a number of reasons. I may have to remove one of the two rings, we will see.

The backs don't look like they'll have the same issue with install, and I plan to use OEM Base Model replacement bushings unless the TL Type S replacements are significantly cheaper from the dealer/online.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:22 PM
#1 Super Guy

The Type-S bushings are expensive ($17.30 each oemacuraparts.com). The base model bushings cost $1.80 each.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have no problem paying 30-35 dollars for two bushings. Could you pm a link to them(part number) or post it here please? Thanks eg
Old 05-04-2017, 08:18 AM
#1 Super Guy

But it's 2 bushings per shock. You need a total of 8. That's $138.40 + shipping.

It's #18 in the following link: https://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-p...-absorber-scat

- If converting a base-model shock setup, you would eliminate #5, 6 & 9.
- If you are building an entirely new shock setup, you also need to buy #14 (quantity 4) and some bump-stops.

Honestly there is no reason not to dissasemble your stock setup & reuse the hats & hardware.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks thanks!
2 bushings per...thanks, I definitely would have only ordered 2. I only would want to use the Type S style bushings on the front, and will likely use new oem base bushings on the back.

Do you think I need bump stops? Everything I've seen says the truhart shocks are made shorter and don't come with bump stops. I'm glad I got some knowing you like yours.

I have no issue ordering replacement top hats, though I appreciate that info, I got the car with just a shade over 130k on it, and I don't think the previous owner was too frivolous in taking care of her. An oil change and 3 new tires (had an issue with the 4th wheel & new tires, have a replacement on the way) have done the car well so far. Rotors are here, I just need pads, so suspension would be/is next and plugs.

The more I look at it, with my new 245 45 tires I only would want to be maybe a quarter inch lower. I'll have to measure the full height (if nobody has it) of the OEM TL spring again and then do some math to see how tall of a spring I should order.

Originally Posted by 94eg!
But it's 2 bushings per shock. You need a total of 8. That's $138.40 + shipping.

It's #18 in the following link: https://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-p...-absorber-scat

- If you are building an entirely new shock setup, you also need to buy #14 (quantity 4) and some bump-stops.

Honestly there is no reason not to dissasemble your stock setup & reuse the hats & hardware.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:21 PM
#1 Super Guy

You absolutely need bump-stops. If you don't have them, the 1st big bump will destroy your shock absorber. Truhart expects you to re-use your stock ones.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You absolutely need bump-stops. If you don't have them, the 1st big bump will destroy your shock absorber. Truhart expects you to re-use your stock ones.
Np, definitely can get and use bump stops. The old civic style requires you trim the bump stop if you're going to be low...I don't have to trim these?
Old 05-05-2017, 08:20 PM
#1 Super Guy

Normally you follow the spring manufacturers directions for your applications. You are doing a custom setup, so who knows. I'm down to a 1 finger gap and kept the bump-stops stock. Plus my Nuespeed spring instructions said not to cut them.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the job just became a couple dollars more expensive and a little more complicated. Just yesterday I changed the front rotors and pads (what was on there was worn down, squealing, and just not stopping) and it looks like I need an axle. I won't lower the car knowing the axle is worn or needs to be changed.
I ordered the front set of OEM top hats, and will order the type s bushings for the front (4 total) as well as bump stops the next week or two. Will need to decide on some springs in the meantime, and start getting the hardware for the rear. I must say, these new brakes are the ****!
Old 06-24-2017, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do I need 4 of #15 as well? (For all corners)
Old 06-24-2017, 09:08 PM
#1 Super Guy

Yes absolutely. Without it, the threads of the shock shaft will saw their way through the top-hat bushings.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do I also need 4 of number 13? (The little plate/spacer on top of the bump stop) and 4 of number ten?

I have 2 number 14s with two more on the way. 1 number 15 with 3 more on the way.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:09 AM
#1 Super Guy

That piece is mandatory as well. It has a tapered seat that fits perfectly with the taper cut into the shock shaft.

The only pieces you can do away with are 12 11 and 8 (dust boot related). Though even #8 is important because it's the lower spring seat. Dust boots are also nice to have though if you aren't running height adjustable sleeves.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you confirm the part number on the base model bushings for me? I have been trying to save up to do the type s bushings up front only but it's taking too long. Going to order my springs and axles and bushings and get this car lowered asap so I can move on to other repairs/upgrades.
thanks eg
kp

The Type-S bushings are expensive ($17.30 each oemacuraparts.com). The base model bushings cost $1.80 each.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:36 AM
#1 Super Guy

51631-SV7-004

Quick Reply: UA6/Acura TL Suspension - need help!