Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

Need advice, anyone got any?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice, anyone got any?

Hey all

I'm new to the whole upgrading engines scene so I was just wondering if any of you people who are good at that kinda thing might give me some advice. I really want to get myself an Acura RSX, i think those r gorgeous cars, and put a turbo in it. My real question is what do i need to do to the engine so that it can handle this? If it matters I would probably end up getting the RSX with the 160hp engine and would like to get it pushin 250hp - 300hp if possible (maybe more, hehe).
I have been talking to friends who are into engine mods a little but none of them have turbos so i dont know how reliable they are at giving advice on this kinda thing. I know the typical things like cold air intake and exhaust are kind of a must with this but what about things like piston rods, valves, other engine parts? do they need upgrading? how bout tranny, clutch?

Any advice one this would be awesome. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:49 PM
I fry gay turkeys

Default Re: Need advice, anyone got any? (wannaRSX)

Originally Posted by wannaRSX
Any advice one this would be awesome. Thanks.
Well um....

1. Search.
2. Post in the correct forum
3. Read and learn....

Not trying to flame you, your a new user and I just wanted to let you know H-T tries to keep things very organized and they don't tollerate a lot of BS... not saying that your question was BS but in the future keep that in mind. Ohh.. also, HT is like a family and they will gang up quickly not to mention they all seem to have a "thing" against all users that signed up in 2004...

So, to answer your questions..

My real question is what do i need to do to the engine so that it can handle this?
That's a very vague question, most engines can be boosted with little mods if you want to run 6 psi or so, a fuel computer would be a +....

If you want a high-boost setup (10+psi) you want to concider lowering compression (pistions) better head studs.. to gain higher revs redo your valve train, plus wince your pushing more air, you need bigger exhaust etc.. it's actually quite complicated, I'm just giving you an idea of what's involved. Building a boosted engine properly is very expensive and to do it correctly you need to do basically everything.

If it matters I would probably end up getting the RSX with the 160hp engine and would like to get it pushin 250hp - 300hp if possible (maybe more, hehe).
aside from the purchase price of the car, mmmm.. about 5 grand will get you to about 250hp safely (if done right) but HP is kind of a stupid goal, you want a smoother hp/tourque curve, any motor can make 300 HP for a split second on a dyno chart...

I have been talking to friends who are into engine mods a little but none of them have turbos so i dont know how reliable they are at giving advice on this kinda thing. I know the typical things like cold air intake and exhaust are kind of a must with this but what about things like piston rods, valves, other engine parts? do they need upgrading? how bout tranny, clutch?
you obviously don't know much about turbo's, but that's OK, your here.. My BEST advise to you is buy the car, leave it N/A (naturally asperated ((without a turbo))) until you know more about it, and learn how it all works... I've been on HT not very long and I've learned SOO much in a short time, ONLY because I usually keep my mouth shut, and read a lot... It's not hard to see who knows a lot and who doesn't on HT.. There's a lot of usless info from members who don't know **** flying around so you have to be selective.. but most importantly....

IF YOUR SERIOUS ABOUT LEARNING....

DON'T get into flame wars with people..
DON'T offer "matter of fact opinions" about subjects unless you know a lot about it.
DON'T be afraid to ask questions, but keep them general.
MAKE SURE you searched FIRST... HT's been around for a while, and STILL new members post stuff like "how much HP will a cold air intake add to my car?" posting stuff like that will get you kicked out real quick.
If you have a GENUINE question, and you can't find anything about it after searching, post it, but make sure it's in the correct forum and like I said before, keep it general...

and for GOD SAKES, stay away from kills.. Those guys are savages and will eat you alive and will force you to try to fight back and get you banned....

Think of HT as a technical forum, not a chat room and you'll be fine.. and once you start making friends then you can start jerking people around a bit

Ohhh, and DON"T create any topics or POLLS in GDD (General discussion and debate) It's already full of stupid quesions, (which clear corners should I get?) etc.. but if you see a topic you are interested in, jump in with some useful input.

HT'erz are generally "Clicky" senior members will tend to stick to one or two "home forums" like the guys over n' killz..

OHH, and one more important thing... READ THE PINNED TOPICS at the top of each forum, they aren't stupid leagal crap, it's important stuff that usually mods write about what they allow and don't allow in their forums.. including stuff that pisses them off and will get you banned..

Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about HT.

PS. This questions been answered hundreds of times (search, search, search) and if you still insist on posting it, it should have been in the Forced induction forum.

WELCOME TO HONDA-TECH!

EDIT: ohh I almost forgot, just so you know, an RSX isn't an "other model" it's also known as a DC5, but you'll learn all that stuff.. and your subject needs to be more informative, users that click on subjects like "I need advise, anyone got any" are misleading and don't say what it's really about, and it pisses people off.. try somthigng like "Boosting a DC5 (do I need to do motor work first??)"
Old 10-31-2004, 06:35 PM
RIP ILL: 26Jan1945-02Feb2017 -&- JLVK: 14Jun1925-13Dec2016

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need advice, anyone got any? (Honduh Chicken)

you're a funny man, poultry-boy!

nice attempt at helping the new guy out -- seriously.
you've given him some very good advice, however, i hope it doesnt totally confuse and/or scare him away.

oh, and btw, your grammar still sucks!
Old 11-01-2004, 06:01 AM
I fry gay turkeys

Default Re: Need advice, anyone got any? (ZylexSNL)

LOL.. I never learned grammer in chicken school..

I wanted to try to help this dood because HT's kind of becoming a place where ppl forget that they were all at one point "noobs" and in an atempt to follow the trend they are quick to flame anyone who's new here..

Plus this guy didn't say anything really stupid, it was clear that he just didn't know how the boards supposed to work.

BTW, to WannaRSX: I'm not trying to scare you off man, but I just wish someone would have told me all those things the first 3 times I signed up for ht. I still stir things up once and a while.. which is why I completly deserve my title (titles are given, not asked for BTW) I said something stupid, and now I'm perminently a "trial user" LOL... When you get your title, you just hope they go easy on you... did you ever read the scarlet letter? LOL

Old 11-03-2004, 06:37 AM
RIP ILL: 26Jan1945-02Feb2017 -&- JLVK: 14Jun1925-13Dec2016

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need advice, anyone got any? (Honduh Chicken)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honduh Chicken &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL.. I never learned grammer in chicken school..</TD></TR></TABLE>
i guess j00 never made it to Cluck-U, eh? it's where all teh chicks go.

btw, i wasnt flaming j00 (fer once).
Old 11-03-2004, 10:32 AM
I fry gay turkeys

Default Re: Need advice, anyone got any? (ZylexSNL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ZylexSNL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i guess j00 never made it to Cluck-U, eh? it's where all teh chicks go. </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL.. naw, not many chicks, just a bunch of fuc*in *****..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">btw, i wasnt flaming j00 (fer once). </TD></TR></TABLE>

I can't believe it, you feelin ok? here, sit down and have a