Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

today the ignition just stop working 2002 civic si

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 01:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default today the ignition just stop working 2002 civic si

Hi I have a 2002 honda civic Si. today i drove it to the gas station to put air in my tires. everything was normal. after i finish i put the key in the ignition and turn it on. the lights came on and it beeped as always. but then the lights flickered on and off and on and then just off. now there is nothing happen when turn the key. So i check all the fuses under dash and under the hood. seem fine i took apart the ignition console and pulled out the harness that goes to the ignition switch. i only got 3.8v but i'm not sure if there is suppose to be full power there. i would assume there should be. I also went to the scrap yard and picked up and ignition switch. bolted it on to the lock cylinder and still nothing. i checked the battery voltage and its 12.8. its one year old but i haven't driven the car much lately but it started fine the first three times today. it seems like either the ignition switch is not getting power or im not getting a proper ground. i found a continuity test for the ignition switch i will try tomorrow. but i'm assuming since i changed it out with a scrap yard one and there is no power arriving to it that its not the problem. I will check the fuses out tomorrow again but just wondering if anyone had a similar experience or problem like this. Or other things i can check. oh i also tried jump starting the battery...still nothing. i cant even close my sunroof lol
Old 09-02-2017, 04:17 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: today the ignition just stop working 2002 civic si

check for power at the big starter wire

if you got power, with the car in neutral, try jumping the starter, if it doesn't start then the starter is bad

also check the battery terminals, sometimes corrosion can get in between the positive terminal and the post which can cause it not to get a connection to start, which is normally due to a leaking battery
Old 09-02-2017, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes but I think your not understanding the problem. My concern is the lack of absolute nothing that happens when I put in and turn the key. Nothing not even a flicker of light on the dash.

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
check for power at the big starter wire

if you got power, with the car in neutral, try jumping the starter, if it doesn't start then the starter is bad

also check the battery terminals, sometimes corrosion can get in between the positive terminal and the post which can cause it not to get a connection to start, which is normally due to a leaking battery
Old 09-25-2017, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like you might have a bad ground from your negative battery terminal to the frame of your car. Remove the entire battery and follow the ground cable to make sure that it is connected. If your ground is good there is a second ground cable that runs underneath your air box to the front of your car near the radiator. Hopefully this helps as it this happened to me haha.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Thatguy94
Sounds like you might have a bad ground from your negative battery terminal to the frame of your car. Remove the entire battery and follow the ground cable to make sure that it is connected. If your ground is good there is a second ground cable that runs underneath your air box to the front of your car near the radiator. Hopefully this helps as it this happened to me haha.
thanks
yes I already figure it out. But I had checked the battery and fuses. There was voltage and continuity at all the fuses under the hood. Anyways I'm pretty sure it's the main ignition relay that's pooped. I've been busy working so haven't confirmed it. But I was able to close my sunroof and get the ignition lights on by putting a 12vdc booster pack right to the fuse box.

I gonna check it and replace it in a few weeks when I'm done working but I found a useful link to help locate it and also to check it. Because there is nothing in the service manual.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/checking-main-relay-pics-2535047/