Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Spoon Spring Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 07:55 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoon Spring Question

Just installed spoon springs on my 01 itr. Car looks great lowered, but I noticed that the front end is pushing more in corners. The car handled better with the stock springs. Why did spoon springs cause more understeer? Are their any lowering springs that dont increase understeer? Also I went to get my alighnment done and they said I need front camber kit because the car is to low and they cant get it in spec. Im getting a slight pull to the right.
Old 09-20-2003, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon Spring Question (2k1 itr)

It may be for saftey reasons (the fact that it is pushing).

Most out of the box springs, have heavier rates up front to make sure the car does not oversteer ie. spin out of control. Spoon doesn't want everyone running around saying. "spoon springs made me total my ARR."

You alignment settings could also have alot to do w/it, you may wanna try getting a camber kit, and possibly get you car cornerweighted.
Old 09-20-2003, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Spoon Spring Question (DsR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DsR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It may be for saftey reasons (the fact that it is pushing).

Most out of the box springs, have heavier rates up front to make sure the car does not oversteer ie. spin out of control. Spoon doesn't want everyone running around saying. "spoon springs made me total my ARR."

You alignment settings could also have alot to do w/it, you may wanna try getting a camber kit, and possibly get you car cornerweighted.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Spoons spring rates are heavier in the front. This provokes pushing or understeering in a FWD car. I doubt the alignment settings are WAY off but could help a little bit. The only way i see alignment settings doing a whole lot is if your car was so way off alignment wise with the stock suspension.

You can't get the car cornerweighted with Spoon springs. There is nothing to adjust Dustin!
Old 09-20-2003, 10:34 AM
New User

Default Re: Spoon Spring Question (EleanoR)

Iam running these springs with stock shocks. 35k miles on the shocks. Car also feels a little bouncy. Could this be the stock shocks? What shocks would you recomend?
Old 09-20-2003, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon Spring Question (EleanoR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EleanoR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You can't get the car cornerweighted with Spoon springs. There is nothing to adjust Dustin! </TD></TR></TABLE>

doh.. me.

Keyword *springs* not coilovers..Thanks Mike

Mike and I both run Koni Yellows..highly recommended. Just make sure to get the rear externally adjustable shocks..you don't want to be taking them off all the time to adjust them.
Old 09-20-2003, 12:31 PM

I believe that the Spoon spring were design to work with the JDM 23mm rear swaybar aswell. Installing a jdm swaybar should help decrease the amount of understeer.
Old 09-20-2003, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Spoon Spring Question (George Knighton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your car handles better w/the Spoon springs in most street situations. You just don't know it yet.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

George, I've got a lot of respect for you ... but many of these answers were inappropriate, condescending and misleading!

May people seem to have had "problems" or unsatisfaction with their Spoom springs (you included if I'm not mistaken). Ed
Old 09-20-2003, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon Spring Question (zygspeed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zygspeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
May people seem to have had "problems" or unsatisfaction with their Spoom springs (you included if I'm not mistaken). Ed</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'll jump in here as well to add my two cents:
i also have the spoon springs and was surprised by the amount of understeer right out of the box. i was able to dial some of this out with my alignment settings -- i'm running 2.5 camber front / 1.5 rear with 1/8 of toe out in the rear.

despite this, i'm still in the market for a new suspension and hopefully the spoon springs will be off the car by this summer.

i must say, they do make the car look meaner.

-tony
Old 09-20-2003, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the Mugen Lowdowns and the car did not handle as good either. Not to mention he comfort level went way down too. I'm back with the stock springs and shocks. Stock is really the best compromise for performance and comfort.

If you mess with the ride high of a car and change spring rates then all the dynamics of the car are changed. It's not worth changing the stock suspension.
Old 09-20-2003, 04:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2k1 itr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Iam running these springs with stock shocks. 35k miles on the shocks. Car also feels a little bouncy. Could this be the stock shocks? What shocks would you recomend?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bilsteins That's my combo
Old 09-20-2003, 09:21 PM
New User

Just get the new shocks that are height adjustable by moving the spring purch. that shouldnt change anything but the height.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon Spring Question (Ch33se)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ch33se &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just get the new shocks that are height adjustable by moving the spring purch. that shouldnt change anything but the height. </TD></TR></TABLE>

apparantly you can't get an even drop with the spoon/koni yellow combination.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:53 PM
New User

Default Re: Spoon Spring Question (delinquent)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by delinquent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

apparantly you can't get an even drop with the spoon/koni yellow combination.</TD></TR></TABLE>

why not? purches should be all even?
Old 09-20-2003, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon Spring Question (Ch33se)

i believe george had some issues with this setup...
anyone care to confirm? george?

-tony
Old 09-21-2003, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Spoon Spring Question (DsR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DsR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It may be for saftey reasons (the fact that it is pushing).

You alignment settings could also have alot to do w/it, you may wanna try getting a camber kit, and possibly get you car cornerweighted.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-21-2003, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Yeah, sure. This is the ol'e JDM vs North America argument. Japanese racers tend to go heavy springs on the front, and we tend to go heavy springs in the rear.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Keep in mind alot of the Japanese drivers run a staggerd setup.. w/wider tires up front. I think this is the main reason for running heavier rates up front, that, and the saftey issue.

Modified by DsR at 9:04 PM 9/22/2003