Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

when should vtec kick in

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when should vtec kick in

when should vtec kick in in my 97gsr motor? and will an AEM CAI change that. one of my friends has an 00si and when he put in his CAI his vtec started to kick in like at 500rpm higher then normal...........
Old 07-02-2004, 08:10 PM

Default Re: when should vtec kick in (WhiteGSR95)

I believe 4400 is VTEC crossover point...but on my stock engine i can't really tell any difference. But the secondaries open up at 5750, and there's a noticeably louder tone when u hit 5750. I heard that adding an intake will make your vtec much more audible, but just so you know it's not supposed to knock you into the back of your seat or anything.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: when should vtec kick in (AznJohn33)

thanx thats all i needed
Old 07-02-2004, 09:12 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhiteGSR95 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">one of my friends has an 00si and when he put in his CAI his vtec started to kick in like at 500rpm higher then normal...........</TD></TR></TABLE>

no it didn't. An intake will not change when vtec engages
Old 07-02-2004, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont know, but his did
Old 07-02-2004, 09:15 PM

Default Re: (WhiteGSR95)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhiteGSR95 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont know, but his did</TD></TR></TABLE>

no...trust me...it didn't
Old 07-02-2004, 09:35 PM

Default Re: (JiggyKooAndy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JiggyKooAndy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no...trust me...it didn't</TD></TR></TABLE>

Seconds. A CAI has absolutely nothing to do with VTEC engagement...Period.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

o well
Old 07-02-2004, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WhiteGSR95)

an intake will amplify the sound of vtec but will not change when it engages...something such as a V-afc or simple vtec controller will alter the vtec...NOT AN INTAKE!
Old 07-03-2004, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: when should vtec kick in (AznJohn33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AznJohn33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I believe 4400 is VTEC crossover point...but on my stock engine i can't really tell any difference. But the secondaries open up at 5750, and there's a noticeably louder tone when u hit 5750. I heard that adding an intake will make your vtec much more audible, but just so you know it's not supposed to knock you into the back of your seat or anything. </TD></TR></TABLE>

not with the GS-R Cams, but with the JDM ITR cams and VTEC crossover set to 5400 and secondary engagment change to 5500, it almost does
Old 07-03-2004, 05:33 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: when should vtec kick in (aznsmtboy)

That's why the Spoon Sports program lowers the VTEC engagement. My '97 GS-R with the Spoon program and both ITR cams has a VTEC engagement that is heard, not felt.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:54 PM
batmang yO!

Dood im just a noob here, but saying a CAI changes your v-tec engage point is like saying a sticker on your windshield makes your car faster. Im not trying to flame you or nuttin, but its just plain'ol comon sense.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:09 PM

people gatta learn some how. its just that when people r bearly learning and say a question like this. people jump all over him and talk ****.

REMEMBER we were all n00bs once
Old 07-04-2004, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (ITls1995)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITls1995 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">people gatta learn some how. its just that when people r bearly learning and say a question like this. people jump all over him and talk ****.

REMEMBER we were all n00bs once</TD></TR></TABLE>

werd
Old 07-05-2004, 07:48 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aznsmtboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

not with the GS-R Cams, but with the JDM ITR cams and VTEC crossover set to 5400 and secondary engagment change to 5500, it almost does </TD></TR></TABLE>

Try aftermarket cams if you want a kick. ITR's are quite tame.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:19 AM

Default Re: when should vtec kick in (neo1z)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by neo1z &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Try aftermarket cams if you want a kick. ITR's are quite tame.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So your calling 190whp tame? I thought my GSR w/ ITR cams and plenty of other mods was rather a very well built machine that moved along very well...high 13's all motor on a stock bottom end.

Tame that. . It was damn quick....and i've seen MANY with aftermarket cams not even make close to that power. Its all about building the engine the correct way

Just to be a part of this thread, no it didn't change his vtec, nor will it change anyone's. Engine management of some sort is needed for that (vafc, hondata, etc)
Old 07-05-2004, 11:06 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aznsmtboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

not with the GS-R Cams, but with the JDM ITR cams and VTEC crossover set to 5400 and secondary engagment change to 5500, it almost does </TD></TR></TABLE>
can explain the meaning of the secondary engagement. i thought that there was only one engagement. p,ease educate me
Old 07-05-2004, 11:17 AM

Default Re: when should vtec kick in (thegsrman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thegsrman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
can explain the meaning of the secondary engagement. i thought that there was only one engagement. p,ease educate me </TD></TR></TABLE>

Stage 1 (0-4400 RPM): Low-lift cam lobe and long intake runners.

Stage 2 (4400-5800 RPM): High-lift cam lobe and long intake runners.

Stage 3 (5800+ RPM): High-lift cam lobe and short intake runners.

This three stage system is how the GS-R is able to keep a flat torque curve. Changing to a single-stage intake manifold such as the Skunk2 would amplify the cam lobe change and you would see a double hump torque curve similar to the Type R.

Most people confuse the opening of the short intake runners as VTEC engagement because of the dramatic change in sound. It is hard to hear VTEC at 4400 RPM using the dual-stage intake manifold because the long runners restrict flow volume to the engine in order to maintain flow velocity. So for anyone that says VTEC on their GS-R is engaging at 5800 RPM tell them their ears are not engine tuning devices.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:24 AM

Default Re: when should vtec kick in (patdemps)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by patdemps &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So your calling 190whp tame? I thought my GSR w/ ITR cams and plenty of other mods was rather a very well built machine that moved along very well...high 13's all motor on a stock bottom end.

Tame that. . It was damn quick....and i've seen MANY with aftermarket cams not even make close to that power. Its all about building the engine the correct way

Just to be a part of this thread, no it didn't change his vtec, nor will it change anyone's. Engine management of some sort is needed for that (vafc, hondata, etc)</TD></TR></TABLE>

I shouldve been more concise. I was talking more of a Jun III or Toda C type deal

I also kind of meant as a drop in cam. You cant drop in ITR cams and feel the kick so much - but with you, mr. demps, you did it right, and squeezed excellent power from them. Alot of people want instant satisfaction though - without the proper build up and tune - and ITR's wont give that until you do those other things ( IM/TB/i/h/e/cat/fuel/tuning etc). Kudos to you on doing it right

Old 07-06-2004, 06:03 AM

Default Re: when should vtec kick in (JiggyKooAndy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JiggyKooAndy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Stage 1 (0-4400 RPM): Low-lift cam lobe and long intake runners.

Stage 2 (4400-5800 RPM): High-lift cam lobe and long intake runners.

Stage 3 (5800+ RPM): High-lift cam lobe and short intake runners.

This three stage system is how the GS-R is able to keep a flat torque curve. Changing to a single-stage intake manifold such as the Skunk2 would amplify the cam lobe change and you would see a double hump torque curve similar to the Type R.
Most people confuse the opening of the short intake runners as VTEC engagement because of the dramatic change in sound. It is hard to hear VTEC at 4400 RPM using the dual-stage intake manifold because the long runners restrict flow volume to the engine in order to maintain flow velocity. So for anyone that says VTEC on their GS-R is engaging at 5800 RPM tell them their ears are not engine tuning devices.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok, i'm aware of the manifold switching runner lengths and all, and i know all about the vtec switch over, but for some reason i never put it in stages. but since you broke it down that way, i could see why there can be three stages.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:39 AM

i have a skunk 2 intake manifold and apex n1 exaust along with alot of other mods but those two are the things that help me notice vtec, mine kicks in at 5200 i feel a very very slight increase in hp and can hear the crossover point but it had mods when i bought it so someone else might experience it at a different spot cuz im finding things hear and there that are aftermarket on my car
Old 07-06-2004, 09:53 AM

Default Re: (ac gsr)

Variable Valve Timing with Lift Electronic Contol
Old 07-06-2004, 11:12 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by neo1z &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I shouldve been more concise. I was talking more of a Jun III or Toda C type deal

I also kind of meant as a drop in cam. You cant drop in ITR cams and feel the kick so much - but with you, mr. demps, you did it right, and squeezed excellent power from them. Alot of people want instant satisfaction though - without the proper build up and tune - and ITR's wont give that until you do those other things ( IM/TB/i/h/e/cat/fuel/tuning etc). Kudos to you on doing it right

</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for clearing that up. also thanks for the kudos ...i still wish i had your oem optional sideskirts
Old 07-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I also kind of meant as a drop in cam. You cant drop in ITR cams and feel the kick so much - but with you, mr. demps, you did it right, and squeezed excellent power from them. Alot of people want instant satisfaction though - without the proper build up and tune - and ITR's wont give that until you do those other things ( IM/TB/i/h/e/cat/fuel/tuning etc). Kudos to you on doing it right </TD></TR></TABLE>

most definitely...the ITR cams as a drop in cam in the GS-R produces a flat spot from 4400-5800 RPM's....but with a chipped ECU (tuned with Crome) and a raised VTEC point, there's definitely some bite to be had. I'm far from done but I'm sticking with ITR cams because I don't think I'd be able to pass Cali smog with anything else but possibly the Skunk2 Stage 1's.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:12 PM

Re: when should vtec kick in (WhiteGSR95)

hey this is wat i got from my mechanic. CIA will only alter the soound of vtec it will not raise or lower the vtec crosspoint rpm by 500 cuz throttle valve open and closing is still stock....so its timing is alway the same...and exhaust can also altering the vtec sound if u modified it....notice exhaust lifting is the same here too so it cant raise or lower vtec rpm...third gsr ecu is kindda weak, gsr stock ecu is sux period.....wanna hear vtect, u need better ecu....some said manifold replacing and camshafts replacing can get vtec sound back up even with modified CAI or Exhst, yeah that can be too...but mainly i think the ecu problem, TOO WEAK

btw, SOHC with modified CAI and exhaust vtec sound can easily be tell...but since integra has DOHC, it required less vtec kicked in cuz of its displacement and an extra cam added, you better expect a little less from DOHC vtec cuz it aint get u another .1 sec off ur 1/4 mile

hope thats kindda help you out little

Quick Reply: when should vtec kick in