Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

WA emissions FAILED

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WA emissions FAILED

So I failed my first WA emissions today. I'm from California and in order to get WA plates I have to pass emissions. I am running a stock GSR on my del Sol besides my Crome chipped P28. I just got a cat convert today and still no good. Should I get a GSR base map?
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks. Here is the chart below.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WA emissions FAILED

Wouldn't the hydrocarbons means that you're either running rich, or burning oil, or both?

One good way to test this is to drop 2-3 gallons of E85 into the tank.. both leans it up and burns cleaner.

? The first re-test is free in WA.

Also - I was at the auto store today and saw a fuel additive designed specifically for passing emissions - claiming to clean injectors, etc, etc. So perhaps there's some help there.

Make sure your plugs are fresh - misfires, etc will increase HC as well.

Good luck
Old 06-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Was there a line, did your cat cool. I failed in Oregon, and then went through and passed. I sat in line at 2.5k rpm. I went from about 300 hc high to less than 30.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mdrshewrote
So I failed my first WA emissions today. I'm from California and in order to get WA plates I have to pass emissions. I am running a stock GSR on my del Sol besides my Crome chipped P28. I just got a cat convert today and still no good. Should I get a GSR base map?
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks. Here is the chart below.
Oh man this worries me. I have a stock JDM GSR motor in my DA and I need to smog it in WA soon.

I'm from originally from California too.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow it looks pretty strict in WA.

Like others said, you need to warm up your car really good. Drive it moderately hard for 30min before testing it. Then leave it running while you wait in line. A full tune up can help: plugs, filters, techron concentrate, o2 sensor, oil change, make sure the tires are pumped up good.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Be careful of gas additives except ethanol/methanol. You may use cleaners and run through, but some can add to hydrocarbons if they are burning at the time of the test. Even using premium when you do not need it can add to hydrocarbons. I did an internet search, but then did fine with a cat maintained hot while in line. Idle for 15 minutes and you may not pass. It is more difficult when failure is more than one area as one fix may hurt another. Interesting stuff through google on emission testing and how to solve various failures.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea there was a pretty long wait, before I went I had gotten my cat convert installed and drove 10 miles and let it warm up a bit. Then I went in line for 15 minutes. I now just thought it's running rich since it's the chipped P28, I dropped off my chipped P28 to get it RE-chipped at Intec Racing because my mechanic in CA had hard chipped it. So i'm pretty much getting it GSR base mapped. I hope this will help the solution. Thanks for the help guys, should I add anything else before going in with my new GSR base map ECU? Rev my engine in line at 2.5K? lol.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cwd14
Oh man this worries me. I have a stock JDM GSR motor in my DA and I need to smog it in WA soon.

I'm from originally from California too.
If you're DA is a 93' then yes you have to smog it this year. I recently just moved so in order to get your car regristered and get WA plates, you will need to pass emissions first. This is really stressin' me out, cause I need to hop on insurance already and my plates etc etc...Weird thing is I have a friend here in Bremerton, WA and never had done a smog check. Does it depend on different countys here in WA?
Old 06-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"Rev my engine in line at 2.5K? lol."

I sat in line with my foot on the gas enough to keep it about 2.5k for about 15 minutes until my turn. Oregon used to occasionally have short lines. I have pulled in and tested before. Oregon, and I believe Wa do not test state wide, but by counties.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Trial User

if all fails you can always register car out of a town that doesnt require emissions (ex. Graham, wa)
Old 06-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hrmmm I will need to know someone from Graham, WA. Also I can register my car in Bremerton,WA where my friend has never done emissions before. I plan on using my Re-Chipped ECU to GSR base map hopefully it doesn't use too much gas like most chipped ECU's. Get a oil change and maybe replaced my spark plugs to NGK. Sit in line @ 2.5K til it's my turn. Did you pass emissions from reving it at 2.5K. Maybe my cat did get cold but I don't know if that has to do anything with the chart I got above. Is my chart very bad at this piont? Thanks guys I really appreicate this!
Old 06-28-2011, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're DA is a 93' then yes you have to smog it this year. I recently just moved so in order to get your car regristered and get WA plates, you will need to pass emissions first. This is really stressin' me out, cause I need to hop on insurance already and my plates etc etc...Weird thing is I have a friend here in Bremerton, WA and never had done a smog check. Does it depend on different countys here in WA?
I don't know, I moved here (Seattle) like 6 months ago. My CA registration expires in August so I will have to do something about it before then.

Or maybe I have to do something about it now, I heard that there is some huge fine for living here too long with your car registered in another state. but whatever.

The engine is completely stock I just hope they are not as strict as in CA otherwise my B18C in a 92 integra won't pass inspection for sure.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check this out

http://emissiontestwa.com/e/faq.aspx#16

it seems that as long as you don't have any emissions equipment missing or tampered with, you can get a waiver if you have to spend more than $150 in repairs.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the cat cooled, then keeping it hot will help hydrocarbons. You also have CO and I did not research that. You can look up emission testing and CO, Google or yor favorite, and get ideas. Perhaps someone on HT will help in that specific.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A start on CO.

http://www.smogtips.com/failed-high-...onoxide-CO.cfm

Perhaps your Cat receipt, and install if not self, will count toward a waive if you do not pass. Nice to pass if you ever want to sell as it is a selling point.

Last edited by Drive 4 fun; 06-28-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: additional
Old 06-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@CWD14, I know what you mean, I really didn't care cause mine doesn't expire til OCT. I didn't care if I lived here very long either LOL i've been here for almost 2 months now. Reasoning is my cheapo insurance does not cover this state. I don't think I can get insurance under a CA plates and not regristered WA vehicle. So I had to do the whole emissions. I solve my problem, I am not going to get my ECU re-chipped and get it back from the shop. My friend is letting me use their address which does not require emissions.
But on other hand since I already "tried" passing emissions here will it be on record?

@Drive 4 fun, thanks for all your help i've researched so many crap and I think it's time to let my mind off stress lol. Also I was thinking about my cat receipt which was almost $200 but I think they would have to sign failed emission paper.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@CWD14, I know what you mean, I really didn't care cause mine doesn't expire til OCT. I didn't care if I lived here very long either LOL i've been here for almost 2 months now. Reasoning is my cheapo insurance does not cover this state. I don't think I can get insurance under a CA plates and not regristered WA vehicle. So I had to do the whole emissions. I solve my problem, I am not going to get my ECU re-chipped and get it back from the shop. My friend is letting me use their address which does not require emissions.
But on other hand since I already "tried" passing emissions here will it be on record?
I think my insurance still covers me but it is a pain in the a** because all of my insurance mail goes to my parents in CA haha. And I can't change it to a WA address, so I have to do the emissions thing. eh... no friends anywhere else where I can use their address. But who knows, maybe it will pass. It doesn't seem like there is an inspection like in CA so hopefully my stock p72 with stock B18C won't pose a problem.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hopefully you can, I was running chipped therefore it runs richer and use alot more gas then normal. It's a lot easier here and faster than california, once you go to the station you're gonna be like WTF.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I actually called my mechanic back in CA and told me he Hybrid the base map chip to GSR/B16, that's why its using alot more fuel than normal. Hopefully this is the case.