Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

valve train

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve train

Soon I'm going to be upgrading my cams. I'm pretty sure I'm also going to be upgrading my valvetrain. Does anyone have any good articles on valve train replacement? I have the basics to what I need to do I just want to have more sources of info.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: valve train (Fooser)

get a helms. its all pretty self explanitory if you have the head there to dismantle. the cams you can put in while the engine is in your car. springs and retainers too. but valves & guides you need to pull the head. you'll need to find what the torque specs are but its easy to do yourself. a good time to clean head and give a mild polish too.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:38 PM

Default Re: valve train (Quetzolcotl)

So do you think a port and polish would be good? Also is this type of work hard to do or can someone with the right tools and knowhow do it?
Old 06-18-2002, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm doing my own p&p. just clean out all the carbon and take off the rough castings. read up on crx.resourse.org and http://www.theoldone.com, they have some good info. i'm not gonna go crazy so i should be ok. all you need is a dremel tool and some cutter bits, sand paper and some other stuff. there is also good info on http://www.team-integra.com in the articles section on understanding flow. there is a bid difference btw n/a and boosted engines.
Old 06-18-2002, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

upgrading heads, or rebuilding heads is not the hardest thing on the planet, or even to do to your car, but if you don't consider yourself good with a wrench I wouldn't suggest doing it, start on something simpler and work your way up.

also, having the right tools is a must for removing valves, and valve guides. not to mention torqing everything down to the propper specs when you are putting it all back together.

don't be discouraged though, if you are handy with a wrench I say go for it, just keep everything well organized and it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Old 06-19-2002, 06:14 AM

Default Re: valve train (samagon)

Ya I dont think it would be that hard to do the port and polish. I was reading the helms manual and it goes through this on how you should go about dremeling the head.

I think I will probably clean it up a bit, but if I decide to go extreme I will send it in to be done professionally. I might even opt to purchase a new head so that I can keep my car running on the down time. I'm sure theres some people out there that would like to buy a v-tec head.

Oh and I'm pretty handy with a wrench. if I have an example I can pretty much do it.
Old 06-19-2002, 06:44 AM

Citrus heights huh, I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled for ya
Old 06-19-2002, 07:03 AM

Default Re: valve train (****F@ce)

yes Citrus Heghts. You live around here?
Old 06-19-2002, 09:25 PM

Yeah I live in Sac, Whats your email, it would be kinda cool to have someone else in the area to contact for local info on parts or events.... also do you ever go down to the sac raceway? Im planning on going soon as I put on my new headers and exhaust.

Oh one other thing, how do you like your high flow cat? is there a noticeable difference? Have you tried to smog it with the cat on? (IE did you pass ?) If you want to e-mail me, you can drop me a line at mcphail11@attbi.com

[Modified by ****F@ce, 6:27 AM 6/20/2002]
Old 06-20-2002, 06:50 AM

Default Re: valve train (****F@ce)

email: ctross@rcsis.com
I have not been out to sac raceway yet. I think I'm going to get those cams w/valvetrain and tuning then I will feel a little better about myself on the track.

The high flow cat is very nice. You get noticable high end power with it in there. I just recently took it out to see how it felt again with the stock cat on. have to tell you that I'm going to be putting it back on soon.

If you decide to get one I would stray away from Random tech. They do not provide you with all the installation parts. Extra $30 if you want them. Carsound is pretty good from what I have heard.

As for smog I'm pretty sure you should not have a high flow cat on a car newer then 5 years old or 50,000 to 60,000 miles cant remember. So if you do have a high flow and you dont qualify you either have to know someone or just take it off and get it smoged with the stock cat on. If your within the date range I'm pretty sure both Random and Carsound pass smog.

[Modified by Fooser, 5:36 PM 6/20/2002]