Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

bah.. problem with my new teg! cylinder 4 misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bah.. problem with my new teg! cylinder 4 misfire?

P1399- Manufactures control Ignition system OR Misfire
p0304- Missfire in cylinder four

are my codes:
specs: 2000 integra LS 2 door b18b1

the engine light wasn't on until recently i was driving home and it just decided to throw the code. so i ran them with scanner and they were my results.

I checked the timing with my timing light and it is right on.
I replaced the cap and rotor and plugs and the ngk wires that are on there look to be new so i kept them there.

i have an ob1 dizzy layin around from my old teg, will the ignitor coil swap right over into the obd2 one i have in this car? if so i can try and put that in and see if anything changes.

I turned the codes off but the car at idle, the engine is sorta buckin and it runs a little sluggish.

I researched and found an old thread that some say it could be a valve problem, or an injector problem or other possibilities, just wondering if anybody had ever goten a solution to this or if any1 has any ideas on what to do about this.

Last edited by Integra4lyfe069; 12-30-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: bah.. problem with my new teg! cylinder 4 misfire?

Originally Posted by Integra4lyfe069
P1399- Manufactures control Ignition system OR Misfire
p0304- Missfire in cylinder four

are my codes:
specs: 2000 integra LS 2 door b18b1

the engine light wasn't on until recently i was driving home and it just decided to throw the code. so i ran them with scanner and they were my results.

I checked the timing with my timing light and it is right on.
I replaced the cap and rotor and plugs and the ngk wires that are on there look to be new so i kept them there.

i have an ob1 dizzy layin around from my old teg, will the ignitor coil swap right over into the obd2 one i have in this car? if so i can try and put that in and see if anything changes.

I turned the codes off but the car at idle, the engine is sorta buckin and it runs a little sluggish.

I researched and found an old thread that some say it could be a valve problem, or an injector problem or other possibilities, just wondering if anybody had ever goten a solution to this or if any1 has any ideas on what to do about this.

Have you checked to see if you are actually getting spark in cylinder 4?

Old 12-30-2011, 01:33 PM
EK9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^that..its most likely the distributor
Old 12-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it was getting spark since i bought the car and up until yesturday it ran fine. It just started today at random, the engine pulled hard as hell and then all of a sudden today on way home from work it just stopped running perfectly and got a cel and this started.

I replaced the plugs the other day and it doesnt seem like its sitting right, thats when the problem started tbh shortly after that..

i took them back out just then and rearranged them and tightened em down a little more and after the reset like i said it seems to be aight on idle now atleast, then again its cold idle, not sure when it gets warmed up if it still happens, got it on now warming up to see.

Since i replaced everything earlier and reset the computer it now seems like its gone away again atleast at COLD idle shes running smooth again anyway and idling good n quiet.

but it seems like the plug wires are sitting a little high, almost as if they are not properly closing down or atleast all the way anyway. its got me wondering lol.....

how can i check for spark quickly and easily? i do not have those test plugs or w/e, i hear something about a screw driver in the end of the plug? how do i go about that lol
Old 12-30-2011, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do a power balance test. Let the car idle and take off a spark plug wire at the distributor, one at a time, with long pliers with rubber grips or rubber gloves, being shocked by holding them with bare hands doesn't really hurt but it will make you jump lol. But hold the base of the wire about an inch from the distributor and check for constant spark, reconnect it and move on to the next wire. If you have one that sparks here and there, or not at all, that is your weak cylinder. Start with #4 since that's what the code says.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i will do that tmw i guess, i been out running the car for the past few hours, it seems to be fine now since i changed the cap and plugs again.

weird ****, maybe that 1 plug was messed up
Old 12-31-2011, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i will do that tmw i guess, i been out running the car for the past few hours, it seems to be fine now since i changed the cap and plugs again.

weird ****, maybe that 1 plug was messed up
Its weird but it definitely happens, Keeps you on your toes I guess haha
Old 12-31-2011, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a spare dizzy here from an obd1 95 integra rs. this car is a 2000 LS im assuming obd2?

if the problem acts up again ill just swap the icm and ignitor over if it will work, and see if that changes anything, so far i havent had anymore issue though. will keep posted for sure
Old 01-04-2012, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

try a valve adjustment on that cylinder, if its not an ignition problem, it can be a compression problem, might be loosing compression, usually if the valve clearances are to tight it would cause lost compression.Hope that helps.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LSVTEC408
try a valve adjustment on that cylinder, if its not an ignition problem, it can be a compression problem, might be loosing compression, usually if the valve clearances are to tight it would cause lost compression.Hope that helps.

i have never done one of these before, can u educate me more on the process?

the tools, etc.

this requires taking the vale cover off eh? since i have ever done that before either i wouldnt know what to do lol.

when u take the valve cover off you just unscrew it and take it right off eh? hope the gasket is good n ****, from there u can access the tube seals and o ring seals too?.

I'm thinkin a vavle job has to be done FOR sure cause the preious owner didint do ****.

i still gotta replace the oil and filter cause the oil is black as hell and i think abit low....

i ripped apart my dizzy and replaced the ignitor coil and icm from my spares ive had here from an obd1 dizzy keep in mind mines an obd2 dizzy in this car. but it swapped right in, took it out for a boot after i set the timing and it seems to be fine.

i need to change the tranny fluid and the engine oil though right away its dirty as hell and the tranny feels abit lose in shifts, no grinds or anything but definitely a little notchy. im thinking the tranny fluid is 10 years old im assuming.

also noticed my lower rad hose stays cool while the other one warms up, I'm thinking thermostat replacement soon.
gotta flush the coolant too cause it looks abit sludgy.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it's not likely an issue with the distributor, or it wouldn't be isolated to one cylinder.
unless they are random misfires, but the ecu is only throwing a code for one cylinder. as stated, when the problem occurs, do a power balance.
also wouldn't be a valve or compression issue, as the problem wouldn't be intermittent.
after the power balance test, if you find that it is isolated to cyl 4, check for injector pulse for that cyl. when the problem is occurring
Old 01-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how do i get the injector pulse?
Old 01-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how do i get the injector pulse?
you can use a 194 (marker light bulb)
fold the 2 pins back on the bulb so they're pointing out. unplug the injector connector and insert the bulb into the harness connector. the bulb should flash on and off as you crank
Old 01-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm crank as in turning the car over?

how many times do i do this? just once or repeat?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just for a couple seconds. until you can identify whether it's pulsing or not
Old 01-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by el crapitan
it's not likely an issue with the distributor, or it wouldn't be isolated to one cylinder.
unless they are random misfires, but the ecu is only throwing a code for one cylinder. as stated, when the problem occurs, do a power balance.
also wouldn't be a valve or compression issue, as the problem wouldn't be intermittent.
after the power balance test, if you find that it is isolated to cyl 4, check for injector pulse for that cyl. when the problem is occurring
I doubt is an injector problem, Injectors rarely go out. Its not ignition cause the car still runs.

Do you have a compression tester? if you do try doing a compression test on cylinder 4.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^if it were a compression issue, it wouldn't be intermittent.
i know injectors aren't a common issue, but it is a possibility. and it's easy enough to check