Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Timing Issues... please Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Issues... please Help

Timing Belt broke so replaced it. aligned all gears to TDC, put belt on.
it first runs great and timing is dead on at the ignition timing (w/ timing light) is at the 12 mark (3 lines on crank pully) then once i put a load on it (a/c or drive around block) it runs poorly and i re-check the timing and it lines up at the TDC mark on the pulley instead of the 12 mark. Anyone have any suggestions on what could be the cause of this? I have changed the timing (rotating crank gear one revolution to see if the bottom gear was 180 degrees off) didnt start. so i put it back to my original TDC on all gears, starts just runs poorly when drive.

Could i just have bent a valve or two? would it be noisy, because my engine sounds great, no knocking. What are the symptoms? I just dont know how my timing changes when i check before i drive and after.

I understand the correct markings and how to get all gears to TDC, my issue is the timing is changing from when i first set it and then drive it. Initially, the ignition timing (with timing light) 3 grouped markings on the crank pulley (12 degrees) is lined up with the reference point, then check later and the light shows the SINGLE mark on the pulley (TDC) is in line with the reference point . When i hold the RPM at 3k and check timing it seems to be ok, but when lower RPM it the timing is off again. Why is the timing changing before and after i drive? could moving the distributor fix this?
Old 04-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Timing Issues... please Help

Originally Posted by pinche
Timing Belt broke so replaced it. aligned all gears to TDC, put belt on.
it first runs great and timing is dead on at the ignition timing (w/ timing light) is at the 12 mark (3 lines on crank pully) then once i put a load on it (a/c or drive around block) it runs poorly and i re-check the timing and it lines up at the TDC mark on the pulley instead of the 12 mark. Anyone have any suggestions on what could be the cause of this? I have changed the timing (rotating crank gear one revolution to see if the bottom gear was 180 degrees off) didnt start. so i put it back to my original TDC on all gears, starts just runs poorly when drive.

Could i just have bent a valve or two? would it be noisy, because my engine sounds great, no knocking. What are the symptoms? I just dont know how my timing changes when i check before i drive and after.

I understand the correct markings and how to get all gears to TDC, my issue is the timing is changing from when i first set it and then drive it. Initially, the ignition timing (with timing light) 3 grouped markings on the crank pulley (12 degrees) is lined up with the reference point, then check later and the light shows the SINGLE mark on the pulley (TDC) is in line with the reference point . When i hold the RPM at 3k and check timing it seems to be ok, but when lower RPM it the timing is off again. Why is the timing changing before and after i drive? could moving the distributor fix this?
play with the distributor. sounds like a ignition timing issue. although you breaking the belt, IDK. did you at least check the valve lash? i would think that a bent valve will not come up fully and leave a muck greater valve clearance due to it being bent and not able to close fully