Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Throwin Codes: VSS Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throwin Codes: VSS Help

yo honda-tech!
I have already searched the threads and found some useful info but my problem seems to be a little bit different then most. So without further a due:

I have a 2000 integra GSR. When i plugged in my obdII reader, i am throwing the following:

1. Secondary o2 sensor left bank (which i replaced with a new bosch one)
2. VSS

My speedometer works but i have no tach. I can however run past 4k rpm so i am not sure exactly how to go about fixing this. I can replace the VSS but will that fix the code that is being thrown?

When i replaced the cat, i replaced it with a brand new OEM one from AutoZone . I also replaced the secondary o2 sensor (the one after the cat) and i am STILL throwing that code.

Please honda tech give me some lovin' and any pics of how to get to the VSS would rule! I know its under the intake arm on top of the tranny but i am not sure where.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Throwin Codes: VSS Help

did ya clear the code and see if it pops up again?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:35 AM

yes sir i did. I was previously throwing 13 codes and when i resolved those problems, i rest everything and about a week after replacing the cat, the code came back again
Old 01-20-2010, 01:59 PM

is it because i have a manual tranny that the tach is not working?
Old 01-20-2010, 02:05 PM

I remember this code for sure because it was 1337 lol!

P1337 Engine Speed (RPM) Fluctuation Sensor No Signal

It may same obvious, but what is causing this to occur, and does this differ from the VSS code?

i will gather the other code and let HT know
Old 01-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the alternator, vss, secondary oxygen sensor, and iab are on the same circuit. fuse #15 under the dash is probably burnt. check that first.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:40 AM

ok cool! i refereed to the fuse reader under the dash (spare fuse, acc blower, power locks power windows) but im not sure which one is #15? could you explain it to me?
Old 01-21-2010, 08:02 AM

is it the:

7.5a rr def rly heater motor rly, etc.

or the

15a (ACG(IG))
Old 01-21-2010, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by justinntx
ok cool! i refereed to the fuse reader under the dash (spare fuse, acc blower, power locks power windows) but im not sure which one is #15? could you explain it to me?
Old 01-21-2010, 08:45 AM

thanks man! ok my teg only has 2 rows of fuses, and going off this chart above, the number 15 would be a 20a for the wiper/washer rly
Old 01-21-2010, 08:54 AM

I replaced the 15a ACG GI fuse. The one its place was plastic 'dummy' fuse. But nothing happened. I went to AutoZone and the erased my o2 sensor code and the vss (1337) but my CEL is still coming on.

The other code the was throwing when i check at autozone was the:

P1298 Electric Load Detector (ELD) Circuit High Voltage

any thoughts?
Old 01-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks man! ok my teg only has 2 rows of fuses, and going off this chart above, the number 15 would be a 20a for the wiper/washer rly
are you looking under the hood or under the dashboard?

I replaced the 15a ACG GI fuse. The one its place was plastic 'dummy' fuse. But nothing happened. I went to AutoZone and the erased my o2 sensor code and the vss (1337) but my CEL is still coming on.

The other code the was throwing when i check at autozone was the:

P1298 Electric Load Detector (ELD) Circuit High Voltage

any thoughts?
it sounds like you have a bad ground. do you have a voltmeter that tests for continuity? when i had your problem, the negative battery terminal --->> short wire ---->> chassis did not have continuity between the two ends. i took it off, cleaned everything with a wire brush and sand paper, reset codes, replaced fuse 15, and i was good to go.

you don't have to go to autozone to reset your codes, just search the forum and learn how : )
Old 01-21-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by follie gatts
are you looking under the hood or under the dashboard?
Underneath the dashboard.

it sounds like you have a bad ground. do you have a voltmeter that tests for continuity? when i had your problem, the negative battery terminal --->> short wire ---->> chassis did not have continuity between the two ends. i took it off, cleaned everything with a wire brush and sand paper, reset codes, replaced fuse 15, and i was good to go.

you don't have to go to autozone to reset your codes, just search the forum and learn how : )
I dont have a voltmeter handy, but i think i will go to my buddys shop across town to see if we can figure it out. Cant you also reset the codes but removing the battery terminal cables? I was at autozone to get the other code number, and the lady that helped just reset the codes when she unplugged it
Old 01-21-2010, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont have a voltmeter handy, but i think i will go to my buddys shop across town to see if we can figure it out. Cant you also reset the codes but removing the battery terminal cables? I was at autozone to get the other code number, and the lady that helped just reset the codes when she unplugged it
yes. pull the battery cable for a few minutes, or pull the computer and radio back up fuses from the fuse box under the hood. i believe they are the two top left fuses.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:19 PM

I think I found where some confusion is. The top image resembles the fuse map that you showed me.

The bottom link (go to link and scroll down) looks more like of what my fuse box under the dash looks like

Originally Posted by BlueIntegraBoy

http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/f74...er-dash-86608/
Old 01-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the difference has to be LS vs GSR or the year. my 2000 LS fuse box under the dash looks like what i posted. i'm not sure i can check my 96 LS but i have no GSR, bud : )
Old 01-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i just looked at the fuse box under the dash of my 96 and it is the different style. i'm not sure what this means.

to fix my issue, i got a new battery, used replacement ECM, new fuse for the alternator/vss/secondary O2, and fixed bad ground to the negative battery terminal.

i have no idea if the computer needed to be replaced, i haven't tested the original since all that.

edit: maybe the different fuse boxes are auto vs manual. my 96 is a 5 speed like your 2000 gs-r
Old 01-23-2011, 02:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Driving home the other day, I started having electric problems, which I've found out are caused when fuse 15 blows out. First the speedo went out. Then the tach was jumpy, dash lights dimmed, and then the headlights lost power before the car finally ran out of battery. At first I thought it was the alternator, but took it off and it tested good at the parts store. After that I noticed I had a blown fuse 15, which blows every time I start the car after replacing with a new one. I replaced the secondary o2 hoping that that would solve part of the problem, but I am still throwing codes p0500, p1298, p0141 and blowing fuse 15.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wite2nr
Driving home the other day, I started having electric problems, which I've found out are caused when fuse 15 blows out. First the speedo went out. Then the tach was jumpy, dash lights dimmed, and then the headlights lost power before the car finally ran out of battery. At first I thought it was the alternator, but took it off and it tested good at the parts store. After that I noticed I had a blown fuse 15, which blows every time I start the car after replacing with a new one. I replaced the secondary o2 hoping that that would solve part of the problem, but I am still throwing codes p0500, p1298, p0141 and blowing fuse 15.
This sounds familiar. Is this fuse 15 connected to the Electronic load detection (ELD) and Alternator, and something else? Cause if it is, there is a short in the dash wiring harness that i wasnt able to find after 10 hours of diagonosis on a customers car. Plus acura doesnt even make this harness anymore of course. Hit me back thats the fuse
Old 05-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its your O2 sensor grounding out. SAME exact thing happened to me. Check your wires to your O2 sensors, make sure their not touching any metal