Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Scrape Tar to Save Weight?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrape Tar to Save Weight?

Removing the tar (sound deadener?) inside your car. I was wondering, is this really even a significant thing to do to save weight? I understand it might not be "significant" but about how much weight will it eliminate in the process?

I'm not talking about fully gutting out the inside, but just removing the tar, and putting everything back to the way it was. Anyone done it? How much weight does it come out to about? Will it make a difference? What are your guys inputs about it? Thanks.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Scrape Tar to Save Weight? (Gatecrasher18AF)

Heard my friend claim those tar worth 50lb. BUt i guess it should be somewhere around 40lb.
Old 12-07-2002, 12:24 AM

Default Re: Scrape Tar to Save Weight? (v67-gsr)

what are your plans for the car? if its a daily driver, i'd definitely leave it in b/c road noise will be louder than ever, as if our cars wasnt loud enough in the first place.

it's pretty tough to take off

but like v67 said, it'll take off roughly 40lbs.
Old 12-07-2002, 12:44 AM
Banned

Default Re: Scrape Tar to Save Weight? (gsxr)

it's pretty tough to take off
hell yeah it's hard to get off. I started it and never finished and it looks like ***.
Old 12-07-2002, 06:41 AM

Default Re: Scrape Tar to Save Weight?

i took off the middle tar because there was this sticky **** on it.
Old 12-07-2002, 12:49 PM

Well, i am also planning to remove those tar for my next season.

Being a daily driven car. I am not suppose to take those tar off. But since me and my girlfriend can live with my car all strip (all panel, all carpet, radio) for more than 4 month of autoX season. I pretty sure the extra noise will not be a problem to me at all. The extra 40lb I save can put me in an even better position to gun for the top-gun of 2003.
Old 12-07-2002, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

um 40lbs? i dont think plates of steel would weigh that much. how about 5 lb if not 1? now youre talking about the undercoating as well as the deadening materials on the floorpan right
Old 12-07-2002, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Scrape Tar to Save Weight? (XDEep)

um 40lbs? i dont think plates of steel would weigh that much. how about 5 lb if not 1? now youre talking about the undercoating as well as the deadening materials on the floorpan right
uhm...your other option could be losing weight jk, just a joke, please dont take that comment to heart.
Old 12-07-2002, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Diet Pills..No I dont recoemmened them. But I do take Xenadrine Ephedrine Free. I used to the take one with ephedrine in it...4 pills a day...lost 25lbs. They do work..Now i take the ephedrine free one...1 pill in the morning to keep my metabolism up to par..otherwirse i gane weight fast
Old 12-07-2002, 01:55 PM

its a big project, if you remove all the sound deadening of the whole car, meaning take all of the interior and carpet out, your car will be 27lbs lighter. and it will be noiser than you can imagine, very canny and nasty.
Old 12-07-2002, 09:07 PM
GDD 1%

Default Re: Scrape Tar to Save Weight? (mattL)

This tar you speak of, you mean the black junk like in the wheel wells on the metal???

Man, thats insane. Get the headliner while your at it
Old 12-07-2002, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Scrape Tar to Save Weight? (Rtzx9r)

I took all the sound deadening out of mine ('90) including the stuff on the firewall. I have everything from behind the front seats removed, and I don't think the noise is all that bad.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:32 AM
New User

I got about 40Lbs out of a 4 door. From the trunk to the firewall. I've heard of using dryice to freeze the tar and breaking it up into big chunks. Do not try to heat the tar up it makes a mess.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:52 AM
Banned

Default Re: Scrape Tar to Save Weight? (FORCED FED TEG)

Do not try to heat the tar up it makes a mess.
I can vouch for that, I wish someone would have told me that a long time ago
Old 12-08-2002, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Scrape Tar to Save Weight? (NWP4LIFE)

I removed mine and it was a bitch to get it out, but i also heard that if you freeze it with dry ice then hit it with a screw driver it just shatters in big piece's, i wish i woulda known that when i did mine i was pounding at it with a screw driver and hammer for hours, It is loader but also i have a 3in exhaust n/a right now cause i don't have my turbo on yet, so its really load with stripped interior.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Scrape Tar to Save Weight? (MysteriousGSR)

Spray it with WD40 first, let it soak for 1 MIN then it should just peel up. If not paint stripper is also good.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Scrape Tar to Save Weight? (Arsenal)

WD40?
Will it actually work?
I heard dry ice, heat gun. But never WD40.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i used a heat gun on mine.
its messy but it works.
i have no access to dry ice so i used the heat gun instead.
i might try the wd40 to get the rest of it up...if that doesnt work im going back to the heat gun
Old 12-08-2002, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Scrape Tar to Save Weight? (Disco Monkey)

use the dry ice to get the big chunks off, then use the wd-40 or something to get off the residue. carb cleaner works verrrry well.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:14 AM

If it is cold outside it is easy to use a chisel and rubber mallet. Breaks off in big chunks I did the whole car at once.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Scrape Tar to Save Weight? (2slow)

So will the sound really be that big of an issue? I have ITR exhaust right now so it's not even loud to begin with. I hope it's not too extreme if I choose to do it. Yes my car is a daily driver for whomever asked. Overall, is it worth it just to save some extra weight?
Old 12-09-2002, 09:51 PM

It all depend weather or not u think its worth to do it. But for a daily driven car, i don't recommend u to do such a thing. It is just pointless to do it if u end up leave every single seat and panel in the car.

It is something for hardcore race/autoX driver. And i would say it is the one of the very last thing (beside the extreme stuffs like dashboard, roof panel) u want to do to reduce the weight of your car.

Personally, I remove every single seat, seat belt, panel, carpet, radio for 4 months in order to be competitive in the regional/national autoX race. And yes, thats 4 months without any seats (except the passenger seat for my GF), panel, carpet and radio. I can live with that since to me, road noise is the real music when i seat in my car.

One more thing, beside remove the tar, why don't u start with something easier. Like remove the rear tunk carpet, the piece of cardboard that cover the spare tire, spare tire, jack, and the tools. That can save u well over 50 lb.

[Modified by v67-gsr, 6:56 AM 12/10/2002]
Old 12-10-2002, 10:21 AM

It all depend weather or not u think its worth to do it. But for a daily driven car, i don't recommend u to do such a thing. It is just pointless to do it if u end up leave every single seat and panel in the car.

It is something for hardcore race/autoX driver. And i would say it is the one of the very last thing (beside the extreme stuffs like dashboard, roof panel) u want to do to reduce the weight of your car.

Personally, I remove every single seat, seat belt, panel, carpet, radio for 4 months in order to be competitive in the regional/national autoX race. And yes, thats 4 months without any seats (except the passenger seat for my GF), panel, carpet and radio. I can live with that since to me, road noise is the real music when i seat in my car.

One more thing, beside remove the tar, why don't u start with something easier. Like remove the rear tunk carpet, the piece of cardboard that cover the spare tire, spare tire, jack, and the tools. That can save u well over 50 lb.

[Modified by v67-gsr, 6:56 AM 12/10/2002]
ditto. i also like how people spend 350 on a cf hood yet still have full interior. i guess it just 'looks' good
Old 12-10-2002, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Scrape Tar to Save Weight? (XDEep)

Well, for CF hood, I can understand. And to be honest, I think 90% of all the driver with CF hood get that for "look" only. They don't give a @#$ about weight. But if we are taling those tar, i don't think anyone can see them. unless u strip your car all the way down.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:39 AM

it is a pain in the *** to do. you need to find a chemical to take it off without making a huge mess. i tried with a heat gun in florida heat , not only was i a fat sweaty bastard, but i made a mess and only saved a few pounds, cause i was not about to take out all of my dash stuff to save five more pounds, plus i would probably get stuck. my next comment was to just get more horsepower to compensate for the missed tar icouldnt take off, so the next week i ordered a 62-1 from precison and man what a difference, now i even gainedd more weight and still going faster than before, all i do is gain weight and then i just turn up the boost. easy..

Quick Reply: Scrape Tar to Save Weight?